toyolien

HELP! Issue with 1060 Brushed ESC!

I'm having a bit of a strange issue with the 1060 brushed esc in my Wild Willy.

In summary: when I turn the steering full lock left the motor starts (very slightly) to turn forwards. Not a massive issue when driving. It just means you can't reverse when you've got any left lock on.

Throttle trim is set to zero and 100% forwards and reverse.

What I've tried so far:

- A Different receiver. Still does the same.

- Unplugging the servo from the receiver. Still does it.

- Another full charged nimh. Still does it.

- Reversing the throttle direction. Still does it, however, now when you turn right.

- I've tried all the options for the removable plugs (nimh, lipo, f/r f/b/r etc). Still the same.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or something that I've overlooked? I guess the next step would be to try another esc, but as this one is soldered direct, it's my last resort.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi try backing off your steering end points or steering due rate so your steering don't turn full lock it may be putting strain on the servo then sending signals to the esc making it cause it to move a bit.

25 minutes ago, shenlonco said:

Hi try backing off your steering end points or steering due rate so your steering don't turn full lock it may be putting strain on the servo then sending signals to the esc making it cause it to move a bit.

Thanks. I'll try that later tonight. However, i did try it with the servo completely unplugged. Wouldn't that do the same as lowering the end points? Or would the receiver still receive a steering input signal with the servo unplugged?

What radio gear are you using ? If it's one of those complex modern jobbies with lots of programmable functions you might have throttle / steering mixing enabled.

Could be an EMC issue. Is the throttle cable routed to the RX next to the steering cable ? Try separating them and see if that improves the situation.

Have you got any old 27MHz old school radios stuck down the back of the sofa you could try in it ?

If it's old school radio gear it could be the transmitter. I've had a couple of old ACOMS techniplus transmitters go bad on me. When I say, I mean the battleship grey transmitters with the red, amber green, battery life LEDs on. I now use an old Futaba Attack TX for my main 27MHz transmitter.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

What radio gear are you using ? If it's one of those complex modern jobbies with lots of programmable functions you might have throttle / steering mixing enabled.

Could be an EMC issue. Is the throttle cable routed to the RX next to the steering cable ? Try separating them and see if that improves the situation.

Have you got any old 27MHz old school radios stuck down the back of the sofa you could try in it ?

If it's old school radio gear it could be the transmitter. I've had a couple of old ACOMS techniplus transmitters go bad on me. When I say, I mean the battleship grey transmitters with the red, amber green, battery life LEDs on. I now use an old Futaba Attack TX for my main 27MHz transmitter.

Futaba 4pl. Had it for 7 or 8 years. All my cars use the same radio and same model receivers. I've unplugged the servo cable from the receiver completely and it still does it. I'll check the mixing again but i don't think it's that as it was a new model memory space i used wheb i set up the Willy. I'll check again though. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, DayRider said:

re-set and start again.

Done that a few times. 😬

2 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Yes but 1060 doesn't use a program card.

sorry thinking of the other one. how old is?

3 months. I do have a few others i can try but it means un-soldering it and soldering the new one in. Last resort if the other suggestions above don't work.

I have about 5 or 6 other cars with a 1060 in. Only this one with the issue as far as I'm aware. 

It's got me stumped mate, i will get my thinking cap on and I come up with any thing I will give you a shout.

3 minutes ago, DayRider said:

It's got me stumped mate, i will get my thinking cap on and I come up with any thing I will give you a shout.

Fab thanks. I'm stumped too. Normally i can just stand back, think logically and work it out. But not this one. 

I have had a look on their website, but nothing, although you can get in touch with them and I known that they will get back too you. I know out of experience mate. 

1 minute ago, nowinaminute said:

Have you tried a different transmitter?

Aah, no I haven't. Although it doesn't do it on the other 1060's I use with it. And, I have tried a completely new spare profile on there, and it still does it. I will try my wife's 4PL and see what happens. I'm suspecting it's a dodgy esc though.

As I can see, you must have those to channels in the mix. Since this transmitter supports channel mixing.
Channels mixxing is for example necessary in 1/5 scale gas cars.

you have two servos, one for throttle and one for brakes. You dont want the throttle to go backwars as you pull the brakes or the brake pull forward while you hit throttle.

check for channel mixing and reset it

I thought I'd update this, as I've found the issue, but can't figure out how to fix it.

So, this evening I tried a few other of my cars that are all using the Futaba 4PL. And guess what, they ALL do the same thing! Every single one.

The issue is with the radio. However, I've been through all the mixing options and they are all turned off. I just don't understand it. Even If I had accidentally turned the mixing on for a particular vehicle it wouldn't have affected every other vehicle too. So, I can only suppose it's a fault with the radio itself. It is 10 years old!

On a positive note, It's my Birthday in 4 weeks. Perfect timing for a new radio I'd say!

I'd like to keep this one for one of my Daughters to use, so if anyone has any suggestions as to a fix, let me know. I'll try a master reset once I've transferred every car to the new one.