Saito2

Tamiya RC, the universal language?

In a recent thread about the possibility of bringing the RC10 Classic back, it was interesting to note that the earlier re-release of the buggy was received very differently in its home country vs abroad. In the US it was popular and across the pond, deemed a sales flop evidently. In the end, I noted the opposite would be true for a brand like Schumacher. Not surprising I suppose. What did strike me is how a manufacturer from Japan could really become the "universal" RC across the world. It doesn't seem to matter what country you're from, Tamiya cars have made a mark. They bring us all here together to this forum across country borders and even continents. While I don't know what today's enthusiast would say, many from our age group would admit to getting really started in the hobby with a Tamiya car. Many of the racers that were hot when I was a kid, started with Tamiya. From a US perspective, I'm currently hearing more and more the word Traxxas coming up as a first vehicle, so times have changed, here at least. Still, its pretty neat how a Japanese model company was able create and this worldwide community around its RC vehicles.

• Like 4

Interesting observation @Saito2. While I'm certainly not as informed as you about the overall RC world, my experience is the same. When I was a kid drooling over the big guys and their race cars at the back then thriving LHS, most of them were very fond of Tamiyas, even after moving on to other brands' nitro cars for racing. I don't think one could get involved in the hobby without going through something Tamiya, at least at an earlier stage. The brand was no doubt loved and respected by pros and enthusiasts alike, even though in those days (I'm talking Italy, early '90s) they marketed their mini4WD stuff much more heavily than anything RC oriented. We kids had the minis, and we knew that their big 1/10 brothers existed somewhere in those upper shelves of the shop, which only made them even more appealing.

Whether it's because of their marketing, great ideas, box arts or all of the above, Tamiya cars sure made a mark in RC history that I would dare call indelible.

• Like 1

Not only was Tamiya a lot of peoples' first RC, Tamiya themselves made a lot of firsts in the RC world and was more than innovative back in the early days of RC.  Most started with a Grasshopper or Hornet back in those days, but they were well aware of the Tamiya 3-speeds, Sand Scorcher, Avante, tanks, Clod Buster, etc.  Even if you couldn't afford it, the marketing brochures and box art of those high end Tamiya pieces left a huge impression on people.  They really let your imagination run wild, whereas today you can see new models 1000x over in YouTube videos as soon as they are released.  No sense of mystery or desire anymore in RC which is more a sign of the times than a problem with the industry or any certain brand.  For example, when you saw a picture in a magazine or the huge box of the Clod Buster in your local hobby shop back in the late 80s you just knew it was something special.  If the Clod was released today it would be laughed at for being slow, bouncy, and just plain bad afer there were 20 YouYube videos released as soon as it was available for purchase (please nodoby take this as a bash of the Clod, it's my all time favorite RC :)).  

Ironically, my first RC was an original RC10 Gold Pan, but my father had a lot of the big Tamiyas of the day and they left much more of an impression on me than Associated or the RC10 ever did.  Still fond of my RC10, but not enough to wish them bringing it back for a another re-release. 

• Like 1

Another cracking insight @Saito2

For me @87lc2 pretty much nails it

17 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

No sense of mystery or desire anymore in RC which is more a sign of the times than a problem with the industry or any certain brand.

And the same holds true of your Associated / Schumacher comparison - because, back in the day, both killed bravery to dream / fail by being excruciatingly good in diff ways 

An Avante is a glass cannon vs either - but was an epic piece of imagineering beaten hands down in the street or track 

National manufacturers and flags just magnified the choice - with Tamiya turning to road racing (up to Worlds success) then sadly milking it for the next 20 years 

As ever, I’m hopeful that the reducing cost of material and manufacturing evolution may tempt Tamiya back into its innovative roots - but there’s admittedly not been much to anchor faith on recently !

• Like 1