GarethMck

Have I bought a grasshopper or grasshopper 2 on ebay?

Hello guys,

I have a thread going about restoring my old boomerang having got the RC bug back since my son got a Frog re for xmas.

Whilst working on that and thoroughly enjoying it, I noticed an ebay sale for a grasshopper (my first ever RC car back in 84 when I was a youngster) and I thought, why not, put the bid in and won it last night.

Its basically a job lot of a working car and enough bits to build a second one, there are two receivers etc, all looks good, apart from the two brightly pink painted body shells, at first I thought, who cares I will just find something to strip that paint off with and start again.
Then I noticed both shells have bits snapped off or missing, so no problem, buy a couple of new shells and decals and boom, two little grasshoppers that look nice!

The info in the description was fairly vague and looking at the photos its likely a kid whos selling them, so I am wondering if they are original grasshoppers, or the later release.  looking online, and matching images with photos on the sale, the shells would suggest the later release (which is totally fine).

So my questions are, is there any easy way of checking from the pictures on ebay, and finally, sure I read somewhere you could put a hornet bodyshell on a grasshopper 2 chassis, wondered if that was accurate?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

The GH1 looks like this . They are sort of similar in looks , but there are a lot differences . Check the pic against your eBay one , or copy and post up a pic of your eBay one from the auction shots

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58346grasshopper/chassis.jpg

I haven't fitted a Hornet body on a GH 2 but it might go , the only issue might be the front body post , which an easy fix . If you have a new Hornet shell you could position the hole to suit the GH chassis post , or reverse the GH2 front mount .

The Mad Bull shell is similar to a GH2 , with slight difference to the front damper area and you need to make 2 holes for the rear posts . GH2 bodies are still available

Hey Kev,

good point, here are some pics from the original listing.

Suspect its a GH2 then?  If that is the case I will buy a bodyshell for that model, but wondered if there are enough bits to get a second car running, i could stick a hornet shell on the other one?

gh1.jpg

gh2.jpg

gh3.jpg

also, heres two shots of the two bodyshells that come with the order, whilst i like pink ... I am thinking of either stripping and repainting or just replacing full stop (which might be better as neither one looks in the best nick)

gh4.thumb.jpg.139215fa8150c4e76401f9ac9410060f.jpggh5.thumb.jpg.5c8c6f3df007a204a290e2cc911fd457.jpg

Yes . GH2 .The wheels have been changed , the rears look like they have Wild One tyres ,so bigger than stock , and the fronts look to be GH1 smoothies . The first shell looks to be toast , the second could be stripped and the crack repaired - Mad Bull shell is around £14 inc post , add on paint which you would need anyway to repaint the old shell and you would need paint stripper to remove the old paint - so , not worth stripping and repairing ? . Original GH2 shell around £26 posted . Hornet shell prices and decals - original body shells are a bit thin on the ground - Penguin repro is around £16 posted , decals around £11 posted + paint ?. If you want to make 2 cars ,  I would try rubbing down the pink paint on the second shell and bashing it over with some Halfords primer and a colour of you choice for a runner shell . Electrics / radio / handsets will need looking at .

Just took a look at the auction you bought . Lots of parts in there - the Hornet / Frog tyres are worth £15 / £20 on their own :)