jellon

WR02CB chassis - alternative body shell

I've been really enjoying driving this thing. I was just wondering if there were any alternative bodies that would fit the chassis without much modification. 

Obviously there is the hornet and avante (possibly not as it's 4x4?) - but thought it would be fun to have one of the more realistic tamiya shells on it. 

IMG_20210117_150324428~2.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 11:28 AM, jellon said:

I really like the Jimny - but seems to be hard to find.

Does anyone know if the standard wr02 shells will fit the wr02cb chassis? I'm looking at this https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-51495-110-rc-suzuki-jimny-wheelie-sj30-body-set-p-90056403.html

They fit as well as they were designed to do - in that the previous generation WR-02 chassis were always shorty comical monster trucks anyway (with oversize tyres), so the wheels never tended to line up perfectly in the arches anyway. All that ought to be be required it to use the correct/alternative body posts so that the chosen shell sits somewhere over the axles correctly.

As you say, there is a Jimny in Lexan, and the FJ40 Land Cruiser too from the other WR-02 chassis vehicles - plus the classic Wild Willy 2 Jeep if you wanted a hard body with more detail.

You can even get really creative and shorten pretty much any body to fit if you wanted ;o)

STUMPkin

STUMPscorcher

STUMPkamper

Good times!

Jenny x

• Thanks 2

Don't forget the VW van, too...

169009-300058512-01-1%5B1%5D.jpg

Just make sure to get the right one, because they've now released a version for the M-chassis too, which is longer wheelbase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JennyMo said:

They fit as well as they were designed to do - in the that the previous generation WR-02 chassis were always shorty comical monster trucks anyway (with oversize tyres), so the wheels never tended to line up perfectly in the arches anyway. All that ought to be be required it to use the correct/alternative body posts so that the chosen shell sits somewhere over the axles correctly.

As you say, there is a Jimny in Lexan, and the FJ40 Land Cruiser too from the other WR-02 chassis vehicles - plus the classic Wild Willy 2 Jeep if you wanted a hard body with more detail.

You can even get really creative and shorten pretty much any body to fit if you wanted ;o)

STUMPkin

STUMPscorcher

STUMPkamper

Good times!

Jenny x

Thanks Jenny - really good ideas there. I've always wanted to paint a sand scorcher body. I wonder if that might be a possibility to fit easily?

4 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The Honda City Turbo Shell should fit. 

Yes, I was going to suggest that one too, although I fear you'd also need to change the wheels & tyres for the smaller Wheeler ones too - the Comical tyres look a bit too big - and we all know the stock wheels rub on the Turbo arches without a few mods anyway...

fwiw. I think a 'rally' version of the City Turbo with the arches slightly cut away and all four Comical rear tyres fitted might be just the ticket?

Jx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a neat little shell. I might give it a go. I'm too cowardly to chop apart a classic tamiya shell.

On 26/01/2021 at 3:43 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

This Kamtec beetle shell is designed for the Losi Mini T which is 142mm wheelbase. 

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Products/K0046

I should have measured first! It fits the wheelbase - but is too short for the posts. Might have a play around with it anyway. Haven't checked if you can move the posts on this chassis.

20 minutes ago, jellon said:

I should have measured first! It fits the wheelbase - but is too short for the posts. Might have a play around with it anyway. Haven't checked if you can move the posts on this chassis.

Try swapping the rear post to the other side. That will have them extending forward. Should do the trick. If it doesn't, buy the 50855 TL01 body post set. It will fit and will give you loads of options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Try swapping the rear post to the other side. That will have them extending forward. Should do the trick. If it doesn't, buy the 50855 TL01 body post set. It will fit and will give you loads of options. 

Great thanks - I'll have a play when I've finished my latest lockdown build. 

• Like 1

@ThunderDragonCy finally got around to working on this beetle shell. It's looking promising. I'd love to do full monster beetle decals, but don't even know if you can get them this size. I'll keep the paint job simple.

5 minutes ago, jellon said:

@ThunderDragonCy finally got around to working on this beetle shell. It's looking promising. I'd love to do full monster beetle decals, but don't even know if you can get them this size. I'll keep the paint job simple.

If you can measure how much smaller it is than the original you could ask mci decals to scale them down for you. Might get close. 

• Thanks 1

Great fun this chassis imo, I’ve had a few WW2’s and a few other variants over the years. 

To me it’s a bit like a Lunchbox in so far I think everyone should have had at least one in their Tamiya hobby time at some point.