Sign in to follow this  
Jorgen

Getting back into rc after 35 years👍🙂

26 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Tamiya Legends is a shelf queen collector. As much as I enjoy his videos, what he knows about running or racing vintage RC buggies could be written on the tip of a small pin. Even my youngest daughter groans at his advice. Seriously if you are prepared to share your collection there rather than here and you hold him in such fine regard then it explains alot.....:D

He is a great guy, enjoyable videos and makes some awesome looking cars but they are all display only stuff. You don't put spacers in your shocks and lower your Egress to look good on a shelf... The shocks and ride height are adjusted for terrain and on most dirt tracks my daughter's could wip his a*rse in a race.

I think your comment answers all my questions....... I know exactly what I'm dealing with :lol:

You don't need to say anymore.

I showed my kids this and they are rolling around the floor in hysterics....... they watch Tamiya Legends all the time so know exactly where you are coming from..... no more explanation needed :D

Regardless of what Glen does or doesn't know, his Facebook groups has loads of people who run their vintage buggies. Clearly you think you know everything there is to know so I invite you to the Legends groups so you can see my stuff and share your knowledge with others. So get over there. 

1 minute ago, Snakehands said:

Regardless of what Glen does or doesn't know, his Facebook groups has loads of people who run their vintage buggies. Clearly you think you know everything there is to know so I invite you to the Legends groups so you can see my stuff and share your knowledge with others. So get over there. 

ROFL

• Haha 1

Still choking with laughter now...... will give a full reply when I've stopped laughing.... funniest thing I've read in years..... :D

2 hours ago, Snakehands said:

Lipo wise, I've got a few 1500 (85mm x 35mm x15mm) and even one 1300 2s. If you can't find a 1500 2s via google then I don't know what to tell you. 

OK, I'm dumb.

Can you give me the link to such a racing pack or give me the make and model?

85mm is way too short for a racing pack. That will either be a shorty pack or an aircraft receiver pack/toy helicopter pack.

There is no shorty pack that weighs less than my Absima 4000mah LiPo pack that I can find as the density of Shorties is far greater and their capacity is also large, not the small amount you say. I am unable to find a LiPo in the size you suggest that weighs less then my 4000mah LiPo hard case so your arguments about weight saving are null and void unless you can give me a link to your particular pack? Can't be hard, if you own one then surely you know what the brand and model are??????

Why not post a link to one? After all you are recommending that the OP buy one so it should be easy enough to link to where we can buy one?

I want to buy one to compare performance on our race track using our timing system to see what performance gain they offer.

There are loads of them online. Mine were designed to go in a TamTech Gear. They fits perfectly inside my Sand Scorcher or I pop them in a case to run in the Thunder Shot etc. 85g

Here's one at 91g.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1500mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html?wrh_pdp=7

Sorry if you've learned something you didn't know. 

5 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

There are loads of them online. Mine were designed to go in a TamTech Gear. They fits perfectly inside my Sand Scorcher or I pop them in a case to run in the Thunder Shot etc. 85g

Here's one at 91g.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1500mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html?wrh_pdp=7

Sorry if you've learned something you didn't know. 

Thanks but that doesn't have a Tamiya plug on it, so where the is the link to the one with the Tamiya plug? how would that work with a Tamiya Grasshopper? unless you are suggesting I modify it? 

and what do you use to stop it sliding about?

2 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Thanks but that doesn't have a Tamiya plug on it, so where the is the link to the one with the Tamiya plug? how would that work with a Tamiya Grasshopper? unless you are suggesting I modify it? 

Are you not capable of putting a Tamiya plug on it? 

3 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

Are you not capable of putting a Tamiya plug on it? 

nope, you are recommending a battery to the OP remember, did you mention to him that he would need to modify your suggested battery before he could use it? er, nope not as far as I can see.

So nope I can't modify it, I am too thick and unskilled and after all, you have already made clear that modifying stuff to gain performance is BAD! 

So where is the link to the one with the Tamiya connector that I can just drop straight in? 

3 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

nope, you are recommending a battery to the OP remember, did you mention to him that he would need to modify your suggested battery before he could use it? er, nope not as far as I can see.

So nope I can't modify it, I am too thick and unskilled and after all, you have already made clear that modifying stuff to gain performance is BAD! 

So where is the link to the one with the Tamiya connector that I can just drop straight in? 

An adapter weighs 5g. Great things plug adapters as they widen the scope of pack you can use.

An adapter weighs 5g. Great things plug adapters as they widen the scope of pack you can use.

Really, I wasn't aware of that..... 

can you provide a link to the adaptor please?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

Fab thanks. I will order those to see how much of an improvement in performance I get.

What do you think?

In my Schumacher Cougar running a 38K rpm brushed motor with a HV 7.6V 4400 shorty battery on our current postal racing round 7 track I'm currently getting 6.4 seconds average lap time over a 5 minute race. What do you think the improvement in lap time will be on the 1500mah pack? My current shorty weighs 190g.  

I assume you have some idea as you must have done performance tests against existing packs to be so confident in your assurance the lightweight packs will give significant increase in performance?

edit: Bare in mind I had to add weight to the Cougar to gain traction and steering in the mud

It will be better than NiMh, and give a noticeable boost rather than getting a hot motor, that's where I was coming from. Anyway, you crack on and order all that stuff then make a video and post it on youtube. 

2 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

It will be better than NiMh, and give a noticeable boost rather than getting a hot motor, that's where I was coming from. Anyway, you crack on and order all that stuff then make a video and post it on youtube. 

That is not what I asked.

Just switching to any LiPo would give an improvement in performance due to increased voltage.

You said I'd gain performance from the weight saving over higher capacity packs, so before I order these and spend hard earned cash I'd like your estimate of how much of a performance gain I'll get over my higher capacity and heavy LiPo.  You have been so confident throughout this thread that lower weight in itself will give significant performance gains, I'd like a quantifiable answer??

13 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

The reference point was always an old Grasshopper not your optimized Schumacher. 

irrelevant surely? your argument was that a lighter pack would give significant improvement in performance over the heavier higher capacity packs that others recommended to the OP.

Surely that same principle applies regardless of the car?

So given your strong assertions on this point throughout the thread you must have some idea of by what % I would improve my lap times (after all, that is the best way of measuring performance, on a race track with timing system measuring to hundredths of a second) over the heavier higher capacity pack?

I'm quite happy to do three runs on my existing LiPo and three runs on your lighter LiPo and post the timing results BUT would like your assurance I will actually see some gains before spending money on a small capacity pack instead of spending it on a higher capacity one - especially, as you have already said, I would need multiple of the smaller packs to give me the same run times as my single larger pack.

Just a ballpark figure is fine?

If it improves my performance I'll be delighted as it could boost my ranking in the postal racing results table :)

The lighter car will be faster. It will accelerate faster. It will just feel a bit more zippy and a stopwatch or speedo with show this. I look forward to seeing your video. 

Just now, Snakehands said:

The lighter car will be faster. It will accelerate faster. It will just feel a bit more zippy. I look forward to seeing your video. 

how much quicker? if my average lap time is 6.4 seconds currently, what will I expect with the 1500mah pack?

My buggy already feels pretty zippy as it can out accelerate most brushless buggies and has a top speed faster than any of the local 1:1 road speed limits.

Thanks, I'll post the results once I have got the pack and run the tests.

@Snakehands I also have a GPS speed measuring device so will test it on all our buggies on top speed tests including silver can powered base model vintage cars.

8 hours ago, Snakehands said:

The lighter car will be faster. It will accelerate faster. It will just feel a bit more zippy and a stopwatch or speedo with show this. I look forward to seeing your video. 

But I believe you forgot something...

so lets say 5500mAh x 100C is 550.000 thats how much Amps a battery can deliver. In this case 550, while modern brushless serups can draw about 300-500A peak speaking.

Your 1500mAh x 75C gives 112.500 so 112,5A.

so my „heavy“ battery has lore power then your 200gr lighter battery

in terms of cars, lets say a grasshoper weights without battery 600gr. With yours 700gr. 

mine would have almost a 1000gr and more power in backup.

so this light battery crap is nonsense. Heavy battery adds weight and helps traction. If you want to go fast buy brushless. 

edit: I do understand your point, but it came over a bit harsh. We all can run multicoptor batteries in our cars, I do in my FF03 speed run car but 3s. But thats twist the throttle twice full out and its over. 

If we keep the car as supposed with normal batteries, a nimh weighs about 490gr and a lipo is 300gr. What more do you want anyway? Be realistic. I dont want a airplane battery on my car

Agreed @Fabia130vRS and I did point out to Snakehands that we actually had to add weight to both our 2WD buggies to gain faster lap times, specifically adding upto 90g over the front half of the car (or by moving battery forwards in the cougar) to gain traction on the front tyres when turning tightly on a very low grip wet grass/muddy track.

By adding weight we reduced our lap times and therefore improved our performance!

I would also personally never recommend a soft skin LiPo in a buggy anyway due to the risk of stones penetrating the pack, especially in many vintage Tamiyas where the battery is partly exposed. I will always use hard cases as feel they are safer regardless of the weight penalty.

However to give Snakehands suggestions a fair go I will run some tests. I actually have a couple of Heli packs in the shed which I'll try and dig out at weekend and can always get a new one. I am curious to see what, if any, improvement can be made even using a pack that I myself would never recommend. I am keeping an open mind. :)

edit: It is however curious that by snakehands own admission, he reckons sacrificing 30 minutes runtime and the safety of a hard case LiPo ONLY gains 3% performance gain (6.4s down to 6.2s lap times) on a race spec high performance buggy. So on a lowly silver can powered Grasshopper that difference will be so small as to be literally unnoticeable once you ignore the higher performance gain from simply switching to higher voltage, which I could get anyway by using my heavy 8.4v NiCd's, despite their weight the improvement in performance was vast and they would still give good run times. By my calculations the same % improvement would see a silver can grasshopper go from a top speed of 17mph to 17.5mph LOL