Mechanic AH

The Tamiya F1 Thread

Raced the TRF102 on the weekend and since the motor change I have a lot of headroom in the gearing but need to buy a new spur,  which may also mean new diff balls. I have a few weeks to sort this out.

Also just solderedup a Trackstar 80a Turbo ESC for my sons F103 so that can change from a silvercan to a 21.5T Speed Passion motor so his is ready to race too.

Interesting conversation followed. I mentioned to my wife about how the new solder (loctite brand) was so much better and along with the new solder station I got a few months ago (Hakko FX888D which I "forgot" to mention) soldering is so much better she didn't question any of it. Either I stumbled on the secret to a happy marriage or I have stormy seas ahead. Either way I'm searching for a Sand Scorcher right now

• Like 3

Well thats my last delivery now. All parts are here to complete the car, just need some spare time now...

20210219_173527.jpg

• Like 4

Had a spare 10mins this morning so jumped on this...

New tyres mounted on to the new wheels, just need to put the inserts in on the rears. New wheel and tyre decals to follow.

Swapped out the battery holders and clipped in with the original kit supplied Medium snap pins.

Decided to change the shock aswell. The one i had was ok but the ends over the ball joints looked abit shoddy.

Built the front end up now also.

The wheels on the car are just for use while building it up, its a shame really as they give a more realistic look but are not kit original.

20210220_145224.jpg

20210220_105155.jpg

• Like 1

So with time seeming to go slowly I managed to get the shell cut out also....just need to add the 1st couple of decals so i know where to mask, paint, add the rest of the decals and its done.

20210221_183224.jpg

• Like 3

Did  you paint the front spoiler before you applied the decals? 

Keep it away for sunlight to stop the UV from bleaching the white plastic yellow 

Will do, one of my focus wrc shells plastics are yellow...this will be kept warm, dry and out of the sun for sure.

4 hours ago, Qed296 said:

So with time seeming to go slowly I managed to get the shell cut out also....just need to add the 1st couple of decals so i know where to mask, paint, add the rest of the decals and its done.

20210221_183224.jpg

Looks great! Been following the progress.

• Thanks 1

Well, tuesday night I started looking through ebay and unbelievably found this...been looking for 1 since beginning the project and did find one January time but I wasn't paying €45 + postage.

Its mint, not evn any diff grease on it...

20210224_190825.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got the spray booth set up (dust sheet and a heater) in the garage. Started the decals to the body for the masking then remembered that the rear of the body needs these two pieces to allow the main decal to attach to.

Did the nose cone also.

Hopefully get them on this afternoon after these have dried.

20210307_100154.jpg

• Like 2

The recent posts by @Qed296 have given me cause to take a look at the aesthetics of my F1 fleet. All but one of my regular runners have a shelf shell - one that they wear when on display. Time to rectify this I think. 

2021-03-09_02-27-03

It is not going to be a scale shell, based as it is on the generic Tamiya "M" body that is moulded in the general style of a McLaren MP4/13 but does not represent any particular full size car. I therefore feel no pressure whatsoever to go for a scale colour scheme, so I will be doing it like my race shell, painted in Camel yellow and decorated with Modelsport decals in blue, reminiscent of a Camel Lotus livery. 

Today was trimming and painting day, now to let it dry while I wait for the decals to arrive in the post. 

• Like 4

Can anyone please show pictures of where you drive your fantastic RC F1 ?. I always wanted one but have nowhere to actually drive them. 

Spent many years with Wheels/Pedals playing Grand Prix Legend Simulator with this (pure death traps to drive in and at that time it was more ordinary roads to, just crazy :) ):spacer.png

The nail biting part has been performed a few hours ago.....masked and ps4 has been applied.    

Looks fab and as with everything its in the prep. Cleaned before masking and again before the 1st coat.

As you can also see I've put paper towel over the driver detail before masking so as not to damage it when removing it.

White is up tomorrow.

20210309_191152.jpg

• Like 5

Nosecone and winglet things glued on, body post and aerial holes drilled so now it can sit on the chassis:

2021-03-10_09-21-44

Decals still in the post...

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, simalarion said:

Can anyone please show pictures of where you drive your fantastic RC F1 ?. I always wanted one but have nowhere to actually drive them. 

Spent many years with Wheels/Pedals playing Grand Prix Legend Simulator with this (pure death traps to drive in and at that time it was more ordinary roads to, just crazy :) ):spacer.png

or any football basketball playground that is colored.

• Thanks 1