Mechanic AH

The Tamiya F1 Thread

17 hours ago, Jonny Crumpet said:

Hey,

I have a F104 Pro II arriving tommorow. Very excited after completing a TT-02D and MF-0x

I'm looking for guidance on motor and ESC combos, I'd like fast and brushless, but want to keep it in Race rules incase I find a F1 club near me. 

Servo suggestions also welcome. I have Savox metal gear kit in the other 2. 

We run 25.5 motors with a blinky ESC. We run on black carpet indoors.

I run a Futaba S9551 servo in my TRF 103 chassis.

Hi all, a question for those in the know and apologies if this is an obvious one. Would a Ferrari F60 or F2012 complete body set be a direct fit on the new F104 pro ll kit? I’m talking a body kit with all the wings etc included. Just not sure whether they changed anything else in the design that would make this a no go. 

Thanks for your help/expertise, Kurt.

I have not had the Pro II version, but I'm confident that those body sets will fit.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:35 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'm not sure that fast motors and F1 go together...they are a handful at the best of times!  I have a Reds 21.5T in my TRF102, and run the ESC in blinky mode.  This is for class rules.  We run 21.5T and I've found that any old motor will do.  Last season the guy who was consistently out front was running an old Speed Passion MMM motor.  The fastest guy this year has a Reds 21.5T same as me, but we both run it as it was last years spec motor for 21.5T Touring Car, so we just swapped them into the F1 and got the new spec motor for Touring Car.  I'm consistently near the front with this motor too, was 2nd in each qualifier and 2nd in the Main last meet.  You do need to gear them properly though.  I think I run a 73T spur and 29T pinion in 48p (to match all my other cars), so FDR of 2.5.  The kit came with FDR of 4 from memory.  I would swap the spur when you build it, just make sure that you get the right diff balls.  Tamiya use 3mm balls, but many use 3.18mm which is 1/8th inch.  I would get around a 70T spur if you go for 48p as that should give you a good range with the pinion.  I could do with a bigger pinion but running out of space and spurs seem hard to find right now.

If you want a good bang for buck motor look at the Surpass Rocket range.  V5R are the newest, but V4S are very close to the V5R in performance.  The V2 and V3 are also still good, and they are much cheaper than the latest.

I assume that the F104 has the same mounting as the TRF102.  I use a low profile servo as they stand upright and you don't have to cut the tabs off them like you do a standard size.  I run a Trackstar TS D99X which is about .10 sec and 10kg and metal gears.  Its basically the same spec as the Savox 1251MG.  It works well.  I run the same Trackstar servos in my TA07 and FF04 as well and have no complaints about them.  I don't think you need faster or stronger in F1.

What tyres do you have?  They will be key to you enjoying or hating the F1 car...if you are racing at a club just use what the others use.  They may use the F103 wider wheels and tyres.  You can easily (and cheaply) swap the F103 front end onto the F104 and it gives you 200mm wide instead of 180mm.  It dulls the handling a bit, but makes it easier (and therefore faster) on low grip surfaces.  We run on asphalt netball courts and I've switched back to F104 front end as traction is better than the old venue.  I really rate the Pit Shizumi soft rear and med front combo on this surface.

Thanks for the nice details responce. I have found a REDS Vx 540 21.5T Torque 2 Pole Sensored motor. What ESC would you pair with it. I run 2cell lipo in my other 2 cars and would like to leek this setup.

I have a TLB02 in the mf-01x with lipo alarm and a Hobby wing 1060 in my tt-02D. The 1060 is much smother and has more control range especially lower end. I'm happy to spend more on this kit.

I run Fly Sky radio gear in those. I'm happy with the BS6 reciver with Gyro. Is this aloud in competition?if so with the gyro on or off?

I'm looking at the Savox SC1251MG for the front end.

7 hours ago, Jonny Crumpet said:

Thanks for the nice details responce. I have found a REDS Vx 540 21.5T Torque 2 Pole Sensored motor. What ESC would you pair with it. I run 2cell lipo in my other 2 cars and would like to leek this setup.

I have a TLB02 in the mf-01x with lipo alarm and a Hobby wing 1060 in my tt-02D. The 1060 is much smother and has more control range especially lower end. I'm happy to spend more on this kit.

I run Fly Sky radio gear in those. I'm happy with the BS6 reciver with Gyro. Is this aloud in competition?if so with the gyro on or off?

I'm looking at the Savox SC1251MG for the front end.

The Reds motor is an old one now but I suspect still expensive. I use it because I have it, but if I was buying a motor I would buy a Surpass Rocket V5R as a good bang for buck option which will keep up with the fastest out there. Also check with the club to see what motors they run. Most run 21.5T but some 25.5T.

You're not allowed a gyro in competition, but if you have one then you could go for a much faster motor as the gyro will help keep it straight.

Just about any ESC will be fine as its a high turn motor. Class rules will require blinky mode or a stock spec ESC. The stock spec are generally cheaper but also more limiting. If you plan to use it outside of racing then having turbo and boost can add some fun. I have tried a few different ESC and can't really tell the difference. They include Trackstar 80a tubo, SkyRC TS50, TS120 and TS160, Orca stock spec, Speed Passion Reventon, all are fine. Pick one and buy the program card too and then stick with it. I think the SkRC TS120 is probably my pick, US68 delivered from RCMart and decent spec with a lot of flexibility.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:15 AM, Beetlemankurt said:

Hi all, so.....I've recently decided I MUST have an F1 Ferrari :). Preferably an F104 f2012 or an F60. 

I know the F60 has not been around for a while and it appears as though the F2012 might be a but scarce now too.....Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one anywhere, I've searched ebay (which comes up with some dodgy looking listing from different sellers all using the same photos 🤔), through to our equivalent here in NZ, Trademe.....but nothing much in sight. I've chucked an ad in the Tamiyaclub WTB section too. Any other ideas? If anyone's got a tidy one they want to part with, please let me know :).

Cheers

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I have both the F60 and F2012 bodies. The F60 came up "new in bag" on ebay and I bought it straight away, around 55$. That shop had 5 to sell, so they do come up once in a while.

The F2012 body I have was already build and lightly used when I got it along with a used chassis. I was going to keep it for a distant-future project of sanding all the paint off and getting it back to  Ferrari livery (it is currently painted silver and black). I would rather see it being run than sit on a shelf for the next 5 years... let me know if you are interested and I will send you pictures. Just pm me.

8 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Hi Kurt,

I have both the F60 and F2012 bodies. The F60 came up "new in bag" on ebay and I bought it straight away, around 55$. That shop had 5 to sell, so they do come up once in a while.

The F2012 body I have was already build and lightly used when I got it along with a used chassis. I was going to keep it for a distant-future project of sanding all the paint off and getting it back to  Ferrari livery (it is currently painted silver and black). I would rather see it being run than sit on a shelf for the next 5 years... let me know if you are interested and I will send you pictures. Just pm me.

Thanks mate, appreciate the info and the offer. I'll see how i go over the next few weeks with finding a complete car first but if no success there, I'll certainly give you a holler! 

Thanks again.

Kurt

Yes, you never know what could pop up! Definitely worth setting an alert on FeeBay :) (actually snatched a 911RSR bodyset yesterday that way 😎)

Hi all, well I managed to grab a NIB Ferrari F60 kit off the net which I am stoked about, haven’t received it as yet but am starting to gett all the bits together. 

I have a question for those in the know please. I understand that when this kit came out, there was a special PS paint number 89922 which was a Ferrari red. This was a special edition which is long gone. It’s important to me to get the colour as close as possible.

looking at some online F60 body set instructions, and a few threads, it seems like PS2 or PS34 are pretty good Ferrari red colour matches, the latter being for post F40 cars. The body kit instructions specifically  mention PS2 though so im a little confused which looks better on this car.  So for those out there with an F60, what colour did you use? Did you back it with white to make it really pop? Would love to hear your advice and if you have any pictures, even better! Thanks heaps!

Kurt

• Like 1

I used to race F1,(was 1st champion over here in Finland also).

I sadly don´t have my cars anymore, but the videos still exist.

First test on tamiya slicks on very wet(amazing grip) 

Race footage.  -we used 21.5t brushless on 2s. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwEKw5Uc6Iasgak_AjvbiFuvBkYYmsUcf

I miss my cars :(  -mine was only car over here that was under 1kilo race ready. (batteries,transponders etc. included).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

I think it may be Ps-60 bright mica red

Thanks mate, I wondered if this PS60 was a later version of the limited edition paint. In re-reading some body online set instructions, I just saw in small print that Tamiya reccomend ps-34 bright red or the special edition 89922 paint, somehow I missed the P S34 reference first time around. Thanks heaps for the reply, much appreciated. Cheers Kurt.

• Like 1

Mica red has a very slight mettalic sparkle to it. Its slightly different to ps-34 bright red which is also the colour in the instructions for the ferrari f2001. I will have another look but im pretty sure 

My porsche below is painted in ps-60 mica red

20180929_110706.jpg

• Like 1

Ive just checked my tin of ps-60. The label on the top of the tin says its for the ferrari f-60. Remember id seen it somewhere!

Resized_20210704_104146_8704.jpeg

• Like 1

Legend! Thanks so much, looks like I'll be grabbing a can of that then! Beautiful Porsche by the way mate, very nice. Did you back the red with silver or white or similar on it? Looks great.

Cheers 

Kurt

Well, what a fun build! I love this hobby! It's so nice after many years of being in this hobby to still be pleasantly surprised by the sheer fun in the different types of vehicles available. I recently built a Scania Truck and loved building that, and have now massively enjoyed building this F60. 

What a beautiful model with a great amount of detail. Paint, servo, receiver and masking tape arrived today. Fun fun fun!

Will post some more pictures when complete. 

Cheers

Kurt

20210720_195608.jpg

• Like 7

She's all done! Ferrari F60...Have posted another pic in the thread 'photo of your latest Tamiya build' as well.

Fantastic car, so smooth and fast and looks great doing it!

Cheers for the help on the colour too guys, the PS60 backed with silver then black is simply stunning!

Cheers

Kurt

20210801_105706.jpg

• Like 7

Looks really really nice! Its a great colour ps-60. Youve made a great job of it.

Ive always been curious about the wheel covers on these. What are they? Stickers on a piece of lexan? I cant see the wheel nuts so are the fixed on the outside and removable?

This thread makes me think I need a Tamiya F1 car.

Given I'm an F1 nut and have never owned one, the decision seems obvious.

Problem is I'd be beside myself trying to settle on a livery. 😬

• Like 3

1 minute ago, djmcnz said:

This thread makes me think I need a Tamiya F1 car.

Given I'm an F1 nut and have never owned one, the decision seems obvious.

Problem is I'd be beside myself trying to settle on a livery. 😬

Everyone needs an F1 car. They also have the added benefit of being the cheapest way to get a TRF car...

• Like 1

@Superluminal, Cheers mate! Yeah it's an awesome colour that doesn't seem to look as amazing in photos as it does in real life. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated! The wheel covers are plastic, rears are secured under the wheel nuts. The fronts, are plastic too and use an extended plastic wheel nut to secure the wheel. Once the wheel is on, the cover secured straight into the end of the wheel nut with a screw. They look great in action. Quite a different look (although looks like wheel covers are back for the 2022 F1 fill size cars).

At Djmcnz, yes you need one!...please apologise to your wallet for me :). Definfinately Don't go onto F1Paintlab's website either then...nod nod...wink...wink.....great decal sets and gallery full of Rc F1 custom paint jobs.....

Cheers

Kurt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So is the go-to a TRF103 or a F104 Pro II (assuming either is available)? Or something else? I do prefer TRF goodness, can I Hop-Up a standard to TRF spec?

Any new releases on the horizon that I should be aware of?

Noob 🙄 

7 hours ago, djmcnz said:

So is the go-to a TRF103 or a F104 Pro II (assuming either is available)? Or something else? I do prefer TRF goodness, can I Hop-Up a standard to TRF spec?

Any new releases on the horizon that I should be aware of?

Noob 🙄 

The 103 is discontinued (for real) and the 104 is getting extremely hard to find; shops will have them from time to time. Of course you will have kits at ludicrous prices on eBay all day long but to get it around 200$ you will have to wait until a few kits pop up in the shops.

Also the 104 ver. 2 is a totally different car than the 104 pro II (unfortunate naming from Tamiya...), It is more like a TRF.

An alert on eBay is your best bet.

• Thanks 1