Lee76

Home learning.

I’ve not been active on the forum recently and have had no hobby time for months. I’m fortunate this time round in the UK lockdown that I’m able to work from home, but I’m also being a teacher to a 4 year old. So my typical day starts early and switches between teaching and working, by the time my kid is in bed, around 8pm I’m sooo tired.. I’m not moaning.. I’m really enjoying having more time with him to be a parent and I actually think it’s helping accelerate his academic skills..  but it would be nice to have a bit more me time...

So..

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for bringing a little RC time into 4 year old lessons? We’re currently on an under the sea theme to RC cars are a bit hard to ‘mussel ’ in :) 

And... is anyone in the same boat and needs any help tips on things to do if their school isn’t particularly proactive with reception years? Perhaps we could use this thread to share tips? I’ve just seen on the news schools might not be back till after Easter.

Here’s a picture of our craft project papier-mâché Octopus :)

A1C97CA6-272D-4367-861D-D4B0DA42DDC5.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

I’m really enjoying having more time with him to be a parent and I actually think it’s helping accelerate his academic skills

Fair play , sounds like you are a natural . :)

Why not build something like a 'paper mache' / toilet roll tube version of one of your cars - with ariel / and a 'transmitter' - paint it like one of yours - everybody's happy   :D

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Why not build something like a 'paper mache' / toilet roll tube version of one of your cars - with ariel / and a 'transmitter' - paint it like one of yours - everybody's happy

I’m hoping they introduce a mechanics theme one week.. but so far its mostly pirates!  Ooohhh, I wonder if pirating includes knock off versions of the Bruiser....

As well as structured learning, I’ve taught him to play lego batman and a retro version of Golden axe for those old enough to remember 16bit...  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

I wonder if pirating includes knock off versions of the Bruiser....

:lol:

Lego RC it is then

• Like 1

I'm in a similar situation I guess. Up by 4 am, work my 8-9 hours, home by 2-3. My wife stays at home and does "digital academy" remote learning with my 8 year old daughter. Often times there are concepts she doesn't grasp or butts heads with mom about so its dad's turn to teach when he gets home. The learning structure is convoluted or inane frequently, leaving me scratching my head asking just what they're after.

My daughter's strengths are in mathematics so I play to that when learning outside the box. I figure, if she like it, why not teach it? My parents were always trying to jamb me in directions I didn't naturally go to and that didn't work out so well. I won't make the same mistakes. I've taught her the multiplication tables a year ahead of time. Then I went into square roots and basic algebra, variables and rearranging equations and such. I joke about getting her to use the quadratic equation, but its actually in the realm of possibility in  the future I think. I break up lessons with play (she likes hide and go seek inside in the dark). We've worked on music too. Guitar is a bit out of reach but she's learning to play along on basic songs with her keyboard. We've done some science stuff as well. She was curious about the states of matter so I heated up some ice cubes on the stove and then collected/condensed the steam when it boiled. 

She was wild about NES Super Mario 1, 2 and 3 but that became a problem. She wouldn't allow herself any mistakes and would re-start the game if any lives were lost, so my wife and I put and end to that. We gave her Lego Mario for Christmas which she enjoys. Interestingly, my daughter digs my old Atari 2600 games, Adventure being her favorite, though she likes a go at Breakout from time to time.

Basically, I help try to explain the hard spots in things like writing (which is more up my alley) while letting her expand her knowledge in areas she shows interest in.

• Like 1

@Saito2 Some of that sounds familiar, I taught some basic algebra to mine, just simple stuff like finding the value for ‘x’ in sums that make 10, we feed back on an online journal, the teacher said not to do that because its for later years (even though he could) and asked we focus on counting objects and recognising which of two sets is larger!... anyone ever offered a 4 year old choice of two hands of sweets one with more.. Pretty sure all 4 year olds have those skill already, it’s almost like they are teaching to the lowest ability for the age.. We need more work on writing though, he’s just never been interested in drawing and also being ambidexterous like me it took him a long time to show any hand preference, we kind of had to just pick one we thought he used more and force it.. so he’s a lefty now too... We have a gap too for music, don’t do enough of that.. How old’s your daughter? Is it the size of the guitar that’s the issue or the dexterity? I was wondering if we could get a 1/2 size for ours.. Oh, and games, we downloaded overcooked today..£6 it’s ridiculous.. basically running a kitchen trying to make soups and things with team work, he loves this but I get stressed... like a proper Gorden Ramsey...

• Like 1

My daughter is 8. She has an acoustic that's about the right size and we let her try my wife's 3/4 Squire Strat (a little too big). She just doesn't have the hand strength. I tuned the acoustic to play a chord on open strings, so at least when she strumming away, it sounds like something (even if it is the same chord over and over, lol). She managed to figure out how to play Row Row Row Your Boat and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by herself but messing about with the keyboard. Still wants to play Stone Temple Pilots and Led Zeppelin with her daddy though. My shoegaze stuff scares her though, lol.

In school, they are doing time and money, both of which I taught her years ago. She's more "affected" (if that's the right term) by the autism than I and shows a lot of interest in time, calendars, dates, etc. The most annoying bit is when a question goes like this in digital school: Tommy has 5 pencils that cost 5 cents each. How much did Tommy spend and why? My daughter says "25 cents". I say "Why?" She says "Because 5x5 is 25". I say we can't do that because you shouldn't know multiplication yet. She responds "ok, 5+5+5+5+5=25" She's right but that not good enough for the school. I don't know what they want. Its math. Fives 5's are 25. She nor I can't explain "why" any more than that. Its math. Its just how it is.

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

She nor I can't explain "why" any more than that. Its math. Its just how it is.

Send in the answer as $12.. with the explanation of Tommy having accidentally used an overseas ebay store and had to include import duties and shipping, and despite the pencils costing 5c each they were of a substandard quality and only worth 3c.  Teachers can be a difficult animal to understand...

• Haha 2

I had a go at daddy day care, today, straight off a nightshift....😳

Signed into, teams, did the wave hello thing, got her work, read the story upto page blah blah.

They kept going on about ,PWM, among other acronyms ( LaSaCaWaC?? 🤷‍♂️).

Now the only , PWM ,I know of is, Pulse Width Modulation, which is used to control RC. So today's lesson (maybe a bit advanced for a 4yr old and a 6 yr old...🙄), was PWM!! 😁

Explained the white wire goes, push push push, or ppuuusssshhhh, ppuuuusssshhhh (as I pushed them across the carpet), depending on how far they need to move.

They've kind of got it, although my 6yr old wants to now know, why her car isn't ready!! So tomorrows lesson might be rectangles (servos), and maybe the heat transfer of metals (soldering..) 🙄😁

• Haha 1

@Wooders28 Straight out of night shift.. that’s tough..  I get to about 8pm and just want to sleep on the sofa... I’d have guessed your take on PWM too.. 6yr olds must be hard, they’re expected to sit and watch online lessons.. at least the 4yr old you get to take the reins and fit lessons when you can. I’m looking forward to hearing about the Newtons laws lesson when they have their first crash.. a body remains at rest or constant motion unless acted upon by dads shins... :) 

• Haha 1