Busdriver

ROC Hobby 1941 Jeep suspension

I love this Jeep but the suspension, specifically the shocks are causing me real aggro. Having seen a few Youtube videos I decided to strip the stock shocks and rebuild them ith new oil, the original be likened to cooking oil. So I bought some 238cst oil and some green stuff. Stripped and cleanned the shocks ready for reassembly. First problem ssmed to be the o rings as they seem to have grown!! Very difficult to get them to seat properly in fact ruined one as it got trapped when screwing the cap on. I carried on expecting that one would not seal as well as the others but could always get more o rings. So I rebuilt them and frankly they are worse than they were before. Or are they? I suddenly thought that i did not know what to expect from a well built oil shock. Without the spring fitted should I be able to fully compress the shock  so that the spring would have to pull it back or should it bounce back under its own power? I have taken the external travel restrictors off. The shocks themselves seem to be really good quailty not dissimilar to Tamiya CVA's. They have 4 hole pistons and adjustable pre load. The o rings are available from ROChobby so I will order a new set and have another go. I am currently running them with no oil at all but a fair anount of preload. I have a feeling I'm making some kind of newbie mistake here. Made to many Pogo sticks!!!!!

Just picked up a set of RC4WD 80mm dual spring shocks for £35. They are unused but with a paint scratch, hence the price. Also ordered new O rings from CML for the oringinal ones. So will re build again and compare.

Hi, I try to build shocks with little to no positive pressure, so when you push them in you should only feel the resistance of the oil passing the pistons and they don't return on their own.

I've the RocHobby jeep also and replaced the shocks with some from a SCA-1E kit, I'll get round to rebuilding the standard ones somewhen as like you say it's only the "oil" that's the problem.

When I first got it I completely stripped and rebuilt it, it has nice quality steel gears etc throughout. Furthermore I measured all the bearings for future rubber shielded replacements. I'll post a list when I've time.

• Thanks 1