Sign in to follow this  
Finnsllc

Running out of options

Completely being reasonable, available Tamiya  kits are not really out there. The "pandemic" has shut down thr production of many companies. Now i find i am exploring the other brands more and more. ive had no real problems getting kits and also noticing that all spares are ready to go. Have you found that there are other ways to go at this point? And are you feeling that another provider will give you the products to keep going? Or will you transition to refurbishing old school kits and hunting down parts? Is the transition from 80s buggies now modern buggies, and the on road another brand? Tamiya isnt trying to compete with offroad and hasnt been for some time. Not championship racing but offroad usability. In other words, bashers. Other brands are certainly more track oriented but also, a Tamiya offroad "dune" buggy would be welcome. Im actually forced to go modern buggy because im not an onroad guy. so what, i now basically loose my Tamiya buggy thing because i already own all the derivatives of what is avail from Tamiya. i dont need the same chassis with a different shell. TRF is gone, now my long term allegiance to Tamiya is not really working. I dont wan a $500 kit that a $250 modern kit will destroy in use. without part backup and support from the manufacture. I appreciate the nostalga of tamiya but im starting to loose faith. Am i wrong?   

• Like 3

I feel your pain..

I currently am willing to spend the money for a high end Tamiya kit such as an Avante or and Egress but there are none available.  Yes, rumor has it that both will be re-released.. and even at that, I have put myself on my LHS's reservation schedule to try and click and reserve one prior to release with any hopes of actually getting one.    To reiterate: I have money and a strong want to purchase these items. Yet- even if they are re-released, I must be fortunate and timely enough to try and reserve one before they are gone again.  

And I live in Tokyo..    At this point, if I am not lucky I may very well just move on and look for a modern 4wd buggy such as a RC10 whatever.whatever version is the lastest now, or a Losi 22.something or Yokomo's latest model name which has a bunch of letters after it.  

My thing is.. rather than have a bazillion cars in my collection this time around..  my 20 car-stash has all been sorted to the finest detail.  Each hop-up that I've wanted has been purchased, power system meticulously chosen for that purpose..  even swapped out for color-matching aluminum or titanium hardware as is absolutely unnecessary.  So.. in doing all that, I want to purchase a kit that is TRF level, or the likes..  something that I won't have to add a whole raft of upgrades to and enjoy at a high level.  I'm more than willing to pay for it.. but Tamiya (and Kyosho for the time being) are making my options very scarce as far as what they offer.  

I must add that I am not however desperate enough to pay absurd prices desired on ebay for such items.  Again, I would seek alternatives elsewhere for the same value.

• Like 1

I agree , being Tamiya die hard and been saving for a while for something big to come out,  for me it’s perhaps new 3spd platform but nothing. with that money saved, I pulled the trigger on Traxxas TRX-6 having a blast adding scale stuff and absolute blast to drive with the HW Axe 550 brushless. Now I’m planning to get another TRX-6 just for bashing around. Before that 

I guess we just have to wait few more hours and see

https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/tamiya-special-early-2021-new-product-presentation/

• Like 1

I have some projects to fill in and kill time, some of my late '80s Yokomo buggies and an older Tamiya chassis being restored but I'd say that direction is way more expensive and very time consuming. I think it's not just a Tamiya issue, it's across the board with the other brands. And I see consistent chatter on various RC FB groups on the current state of low supply and high demand. I haven't paid much attention to American brands though even if I'm in the US.

I think the new Covid strain will affect the market more. Once I run out of what I have to build or restore, I thought of getting a modern buggy and keeping things simple. Don't need to spec them for race or overthink it. Although it won't have the nostalgia factor, it probably will be the most economical to bash since parts are more available and less expensive—and the cars are probably more durable. And 10 years later, nostalgia will kick in. 

@Killajb I'm surprised in Japan it sounds like supply is an issue too? When a re-re goes on sale, how long before it runs out? Is the RC hobby still big in Japan or the brands just don't produce/sell enough nostalgia kits for the domestic market? How about Yokomo drift cars and modern buggies? Are they easily available? How's the vintage parts scene? Are they easy to get and prices low?

++++

Top Force!!! Glad I held off

The TF Evo is a great buggy and nice to see them re-re that. Sadly too late for me now. If it was a year ago I'd have snapped it up but now I look at the price and think, why buy a Tamiya re-re with no future parts backup when for the same money I can get a far more capable and well supported Schumacher CAT L1 Evo.

If I was just collecting then I'd be tempted but I want to run my buggies.

Back to topic..

@Finnsllc Its reasonable, nostalgia ends. I think its human nature to want something that last long, or if its broken its fixable, without paying astronomical price and waiting shipment for weeks.

I have fun running my Boomerang, but last sunday the rear arm cracking in the hole that hold the outer arm screw after a hard jump (yes my fault). Its fixable, but still its better if i can get spares without using eb*y. And now i kinda scared to run it, not wanting to break something else and i cant fix it.

Thats why im planning to build tt01e rally for my daily basher, yes its generic, but lots of spareparts here.

You know whats better, cheap china rc with half Tamiya price, some of em have better spareparts support, or if not just junk it and buy a new one lol.

If only tamiya have better spareparts availability with their older kits.

• Like 1

I was browsing another forum tonight, and someone who works in freight forwarding posted this:

• "It’s starting to trickle into the mainstream news, but the global shipping environment is a dumpster fire."
  • "No empty shipping containers in Asia, rates triple the normal levels, and 30+ vessels with hundreds of thousands of containers stuck outside the port of Long Beach."
  • "Not to mention overflowing DCs, a rail system that is a joke, and not enough truckers or trucks."

Some follow-up comments are enlightening as well:

• "Simple version - after the Pandemic "shutdown" started to ease in China, USA companies began ordering massive quantities of goods to restock their inventories. USA consumers bought a ton of **** online.  Result was a huge surge in volume of containers leaving China in bigger and bigger vessels, all dumping cargo into the USA. It's like trying to drink from a firehose right now."
  • "Combine that with inefficient Union labor in Long Beach (busiest port in the country), add in bad weather, low water in the Panama canal (delays vessel transits) and we've got an absolute disaster on our hands."
  • "There are hundreds of thousands of loaded import containers sitting in rail yards, sitting on ships, sitting on ports, and sitting in Distribution Center parking lots all across the country."
  • "Until they get unloaded and filter their way back to the ports for export, the problem persists."

Soooo, if the shipping channels are completely messed up, and some countries are still limiting production due to COVID, it's no wonder certain products are scarce.  It also makes sense for prices to jump.  Don't know what else to tell y'all.

• Like 1

+1 @speedy_w_beans

I feel @Finnsllcfrustration due to lack of parts, but it’s not due to Tamiyas lack of support. They have not been able to keep up with demand. 

Last week I received notification from TamiyaUSA that m chassis wheels I wanted were in stock. I put 4 sets in my cart. I looked to add some more items for free shipping.. when I went to check out, it said “4” not available.. 😡.. someone else was after the same part.. how dare they.. it’s mine all mine, all for me... 👿 

Pandemic has been good to the hobby industry. Static Model kit sales have gone through the roof. Lots of people have gotten into RC as well.

Now on the topic of Tamiyas buggy offer.. I whole heartedly agree... they need to diversify.. I wrote this earlier today:

“Any buggy that Tamiya released after Hotshot / Egress era is not worth my hard earned money... eg Manta ray, Top Force, Dark Impact etc.. they lack innovation, brittle abs plastic tubs, have weak drive line, not efficient, and look like they’re from Mars. “

They have resorted to releasing a bunch of buggies like Fire Dragon, based on some obscure comic, I mean come on!! 

How about applying the innovative concept (TA07, M07) etc, and create a well thought out 4WD buggy platform, made out of carbon infused plastic, and efficient drive line. Enough the the peanut brittle shiny abs plastic that will shatter in impact. Or the shaft drive on the left side, or right side running on a piano wire or worse yet a plastic. 

it doesn’t need to be TRF level, it needs to be TA07 / TB05 level. 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, Mechanic AH said:

I have some projects to fill in and kill time, some of my late '80s Yokomo buggies and an older Tamiya chassis being restored but I'd say that direction is way more expensive and very time consuming. I think it's not just a Tamiya issue, it's across the board with the other brands. And I see consistent chatter on various RC FB groups on the current state of low supply and high demand. I haven't paid much attention to American brands though even if I'm in the US.

I think the new Covid strain will affect the market more. Once I run out of what I have to build or restore, I thought of getting a modern buggy and keeping things simple. Don't need to spec them for race or overthink it. Although it won't have the nostalgia factor, it probably will be the most economical to bash since parts are more available and less expensive—and the cars are probably more durable. And 10 years later, nostalgia will kick in. 

@Killajb I'm surprised in Japan it sounds like supply is an issue too? When a re-re goes on sale, how long before it runs out? Is the RC hobby still big in Japan or the brands just don't produce/sell enough nostalgia kits for the domestic market? How about Yokomo drift cars and modern buggies? Are they easily available? How's the vintage parts scene? Are they easy to get and prices low?

++++

Top Force!!! Glad I held off

Yeah.. unfortunately it isn't exactly "the land of plenty" over here in Tokyo.  Re-Re's such as the VQS were snatched up in about a week.  The hobby is still big here, however scalpers (as we call them in America) purchase kits quickly and then place them on Yahoo Japan, Ebay, etc. for inflated prices.  For example: Kyosho Turbo Optima's are all sold out from the LHS.  Can't order one either.  However on Yahoo Japan auctions, there are a couple of auctions listed  starting at a healthy $100 mark-up over the in-store price.  

Even though I am fortunate enough to work about a 15-minutes walk from the best hobby shops in Tokyo, I've resorted to joining the preferred-member mailing list to get notified when a desired item comes in stock so I can then plop money down and reserve it.  Even then (as was the case with the Turbo Optima), sometimes supply just runs out and all I'm left with is a apologetic email.

For parts, driver figures and other small odds and ends however, it's heaven!  I honestly pick up a driver figure almost every time I visit the hobby shops because they cost about as much as a large soda would here.  So there's that..

DrivingCrew.jpg

• Like 3

@Killajb I didn't expect that would be the case in Japan. But I guess the culture is more into these kinds of things. I would be frustrated if that were the case--where a product originates from my country yet I can't get my hands easily on the products (I always feel the UK and Germany gets the best bits or first dibs). But for older parts and little things that sounds amazing. When I head back to Japan I really need to get a list from you of places to check out for parts and other interesting RC related things. Re: VQS, I didn't get one but I needed the dampers and I missed out so I ended paying way more for a set--the only way I could get it.

20 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

@Killajb I didn't expect that would be the case in Japan. But I guess the culture is more into these kinds of things. I would be frustrated if that were the case--where a product originates from my country yet I can't get my hands easily on the products (I always feel the UK and Germany gets the best bits or first dibs). But for older parts and little things that sounds amazing. When I head back to Japan I really need to get a list from you of places to check out for parts and other interesting RC related things. Re: VQS, I didn't get one but I needed the dampers and I missed out so I ended paying way more for a set--the only way I could get it.

PM me any time and I'll give you the details on the best shops here.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 10:05 PM, Finnsllc said:

Have you found that there are other ways to go at this point? And are you feeling that another provider will give you the products to keep going? Or will you transition to refurbishing old school kits and hunting down parts?

I really (really!) hate to admit this, but Traxxas. I wanted a rear motor buggy that was tough and had plenty of spares and some form of competition roots. The Bandit was it. RC10 prices are through the roof. I found Tamiya's DT02 platform too hamstrung. I love my Fox but with Tamiya, there's also the spare parts issue. I'm not saying I approve of current Traxxas at all (I do like old Traxxas) and am not into their newer vehicles (TMaxx on up, aside from the TRX4) but the old Stampede/Rustler/Bandit trio starting in the mid 90's has captured my interest. Parts availability is never an issue. Its hard to name a platform that has been around so long with such great support. They are tough and guilt-free runners that were birthed before the business side of Traxxas became a law suit happy bunch of jerks. The engineers still do a good job though. 

Its all a tough argument to make, I suppose nobody is right or wrong but to use the new release that was announced; the EVO is a big want for alot of tamiya guys. I have 2 TF so dont have any real need or want to get one. However my thought is that i dont think id buy one due to my gained knowledge of spare avail. Meaning, a $400 static model is what id be buying knowing that the history shows if i break it i cant easily fix it. I think that is my biggest issue. I know i will buy tamiya still. Just far more carefully