rwordenjr

Top force evo!!! Thunder dragon !!! 2021

I really hope it'll come with blister packs, sureotly this is a kit that both deserves and warrant it, but I'm not sure if I expect it to. The re-re Egress was the last one, right? And that cost more than this one, so not sure if Tamiya think it's worth it. But if Kyosho can pull it off on their re-re's I don't see why Tamiya shouldn't bother. 

6 hours ago, topforcein said:

have you checked the site since you payed that price. And the original evo was basically a hop-up version of the top-force so why should the re-re be any different to the original versions;)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1335177

I bought an egress not a top force evo, maybe read my post properly? ;)

My point is that the reason this re-re exists at all is that people have kept banging on about it for years, when they could easily have just built a top force to the exact same spec as what has just been released. Back when the original evo came out you couldn't buy all the proper evo parts separately to make one, that's what made it special, now you can, so it isn't.

13 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

That's stunning! Only upside is that I'm definetely not scared to run mine, as it can't possibly get any worse. One of the most enjoyable builds ever up to the decals though, fully on par with the Egress and the Avante. 

Your definitely right its (if not slightly better and it pains to say that! ) up with the Avante/egress for a excellent kit to build!,  and that's the problem I've had with this and my turbo optima the fact they are such good quality I've not ran any of them in anger I took my turbo optima to my local (ish) rc car club when I first built it I put it on the outside 1/10th rc track but quickly picked it up again because I didn't want to scratch it.......I bottled it😕

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:33 AM, Cplus said:

It did. JIS head. 

By looks of the images, no sadly. They are std looking black. 

Current Top Force Hicaps have yellow springs. The new Evos are different.

• Like 1

So TamiyaUSA has added the Thunder Dragon and Fire Dragon to their page.  Fire Dragon MSRP is $259 but their MSRP is always outrageous.  But no price on the thunder dragon yet and nothing for the egress or TFE.  

3 hours ago, A-Baum said:

So TamiyaUSA has added the Thunder Dragon and Fire Dragon to their page.  Fire Dragon MSRP is $259 but their MSRP is always outrageous.  But no price on the thunder dragon yet and nothing for the egress or TFE.  

i think you read that wrong, they posted a great price for the Thunder Dragon:

MSRP: $0.00

$0 is a great price but they forgot  the buy/preorder button... i cant say it was for a lack of thorough searching on my part.

it does have the TBLE-04S ESC, that should be a fairly good ESC on the kit. though plastic bushings and a questionable plastic compound for A5 part. those 2 parts might need a rather quick hop up fast. whatever the price it has im likely thinking along the Futurama mem and still getting it... 

Tamiya USA lists it as an assembly kit classification, so i guess its not an RTR KIT. though that makes it easier to do some much needed out of the box upgrades on certain components without tearing down an RTR after unboxing it. i wonder if TamiyaUSA ships to Canada or if it ends up being sold for the same adjusted price in Canadian sites first.

£180 for the Thunder Dragon on Modelsport 

UkQb233.gif

I really wanted one but it's hard to ignore the fact that's getting on for twice what they were charging for the Manta Ray just a couple of years ago and that you could get a Terra Scorcher for around the same price and that had twin front shocks, universals, rear anti roll bar and full bearings.

2 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

UkQb233.gif

I really wanted one but it's hard to ignore the fact that's getting on for twice what they were charging for the Manta Ray just a couple of years ago. 

i dont know it thats a mark up for UK but thats pretty much $318 CAD if its something similar if it crosses over the pond. its a fairly high price but atleast its not +400 CAD...hopefully not...

52 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

UkQb233.gif

I really wanted one but it's hard to ignore the fact that's getting on for twice what they were charging for the Manta Ray just a couple of years ago and that you could get a Terra Scorcher for around the same price and that had twin front shocks, universals, rear anti roll bar and full bearings.

It's 2x the car with carbon chassis, full ball ball bearing, Hicaps, aluminum ball diffs,....

7 hours ago, GTodd said:

It's 2x the car with carbon chassis, full ball ball bearing, Hicaps, aluminum ball diffs,....

Read again. Slowly.

8 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

UkQb233.gif

£148 from fusionhobbies (minus esc minus TC subscriber discount) plus you get points (money off) next purchase!

7 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Wait, you could get the Manta Ray for £90? @nowinaminute That sounds pretty close to deal of the century. 

I saw the rerere Mantaray (second rere) for £108 which was a great deal at the time (fusion hobbies again)

• Like 1

That is a great deal! 

As for the Evolution re-re, when you look at the price compared to the Avante re-re it sort of makes sense to me. Would I've prefered the Avante to be in the same price range as the Optima? Sure. But there's some logic to the difference between the Avante and Top Force Evolution. 

top force evo pricec.JPG

avante price.JPG

• Like 1

I wonder if this new pricing strategy could be indicative of a new re-release sales model? There is risk in over-producing a rere. There are also people with the means to pay whatever Tamiya ask for a model and will do so without a second thought, both on and off this forum. Sometimes buyers are snapping up multiples of these kits too, which certainly doesn't bother Tamiya. A sale is a sale. Cutting production numbers and jacking up the price would be a way of ensuring profitability. Now there are limits. Raise the price too much and only a small number will blindly pay whatever the cost. Cut production too much and they could "leave money on the table". There is a balance Tamiya has to find. If some people "vote with their wallets", it won't matter as much if the production numbers are cut as there will be enough "faithful" to make up the difference with the higher cost. I'm not sure where the pre-painted bodies come in though unless its something determined by careful market research or factors beyond our knowledge.

Then again, its just theory and in these times, who knows?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Wait, you could get the Manta Ray for £90? @nowinaminute That sounds pretty close to deal of the century. 

It was hovering around the £100 mark most of the time it was on sale but I saw it as low as £95

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taffer said:

£148 from fusionhobbies (minus esc minus TC subscriber discount) plus you get points (money off) next purchase!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Xfo6aaA.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Rcmart got Evo at 399usd and taking preorders.

Don't forget the $100 shipping cost.

tony's given me a £385 deal.. dont know if that applys to anyone else but that's a lot more than what i would have expected esp if it don't come with all the same spec as the original but ;ook at it this way i have bben wanting a re-re evo for a long time and i aint gonna miss out on it now.

if you compare the diff in price of a top-force and a evo the price of the evo aint that bad tbh esp seeing on how diff it is to the top-force.

and as yet the titainium screws are a mystery and if they come out as a hop-up they will be a expensive option.

but look at it this way how much did the original one sell for back in 1992.

when i brough tmy manta -ray of tony back in 2019 when it was re=re i brought the hard shaft and motor mount set for only £18 and go and look and see how much the hop-up is sell for now a couple of years later

i also orderd a ta=-02 ... "think about this" the calibra will be the  first one and imagine what is goon follow after on the same chassis

It's a shame tamico isn't shipping to the UK at the moment, as they're asking £266 + £18 for shipment, with 20 % VAT that would amount to roughly 341 (if my math is sound.) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Read again. Slowly.

No reason to be rude. Your comparison is fair but not accurate. The only costly add of the Terra Scorcher were the ball bearing. A price of piano wire and one more cva isn't the same comparison of the EVOs EXPENSIVE UPGRADES over a plastic tub manta.

I shall compare mr Rude.

Manta - Tub Chassis, EVO - Carbon Graphite

Manta - plastic CVA, EVO - Metal more complex Hicaps

Manta - olite bushings, EVO All Ball Bearing

Manta plastic gear diffs, EVO aluminum ball diffs

Manta - no one way, Evo One way

• Like 1