Jump to content
rwordenjr

Top force evo!!! Thunder dragon !!! 2021

Recommended Posts

my TD order says the end of April and delivery within 2 weeks or so in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were to order 1, would it be the RX Fighter buggy memorial, or the Thunder Dragon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheGizmodi said:

If you were to order 1, would it be the RX Fighter buggy memorial, or the Thunder Dragon?

Thunder Dragon, each and every time. Four wheel drive, driver figure, looks cooler. I suspect the chassis handles better than the RX Fighter Buggy. + box with proper boxart. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Thunder Dragon, each and every time. Four wheel drive, driver figure, looks cooler. I suspect the chassis handles better than the RX Fighter Buggy. + box with proper boxart. 

Does Norway have a cultural thing where you won't say bad about anything? Suspect the Thunder Dragon is lightyears ahead. It IS lightyears ahead

Also, this is meant in jest. I'm a kiwi and within the commonwealth we have stereotypes abput other friendly nations and Canadians are apparently the nicest people on earth and even have a law that says apologising doesn't indicate guilt. No idea If Its true, but they seem pretty nice as do Norwegians....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Does Norway have a cultural thing where you won't say bad about anything? Suspect the Thunder Dragon is lightyears ahead. It IS lightyears ahead

Also, this is meant in jest. I'm a kiwi and within the commonwealth we have stereotypes abput other friendly nations and Canadians are apparently the nicest people on earth and even have a law that says apologising doesn't indicate guilt. No idea If Its true, but they seem pretty nice as do Norwegians....

Hah! :D It's more a case of not wanting to give the middle finger to those who absolutely adores the Fighter Buggy and thinks the Memorial edition is the greatest thing since the Covid vaccine. That, and an 11 year old with a Fighter Buggy would probably drive circles around a Thunder Dragon operated by me :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ze Germans unboxes the Evo. And promptly crushes my hope of blister packs. I'm not surprised, just slightly disappointed. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Ze Germans unboxes the Evo. And promptly crushes my hope of blister packs. I'm not surprised, just slightly disappointed. 

 

 

Yeah I must admit I was hoping for a avante/egress style packing and a clear body I would probably still paint it box art but I just wanted to paint it!, mind you the box art itself looks brilliant! Looking forward to it hitting the UK shops👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful box art but the lack of blister packaging is seriously poor for a high end kit like this, especially at the price point that has been quoted.

And is it really true that the kit will not be coming with any of the crucial original transmission hop ups and turnbuckles etc from the original Evo?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your all cancelling orders just because it don't come with blister packs you will regret doing it i aint happy either but i certainly aint gonna cancel my order as i have been waiting for this re-re since the 90's the re-re top force does not come with blisters either and that dont make it a useless rc this may a new trend with tamiya  or it may be them cheaping out on the packaging who knows but it will still be a collectable kit nether the less 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, Wandy said:

Beautiful box art but the lack of blister packaging is seriously poor for a high end kit like this, especially at the price point that has been quoted.

And is it really true that the kit will not be coming with any of the crucial original transmission hop ups and turnbuckles etc from the original Evo?

Yeah, I had hoped they would've gone all the way on this one and given it the same treatment as the Avante & Egress. I guess we'll have to wait for the Avante 2001 (2021) for that to happen. 

As for transmission and turnbuckles I really have no idea, seems weird they would've skipped on that. The blister I can sort of understand, but turnbuckles - that would just be lazy. 

Luckily for me I've never had a Top Force Evolution, nor seen one in the flesh, so I'm still psyched to get one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topforcein said:

your all cancelling orders just because it don't come with blister packs you will regret doing it i aint happy either but i certainly aint gonna cancel my order as i have been waiting for this re-re since the 90's the re-re top force does not come with blisters either and that dont make it a useless rc this may a new trend with tamiya  or it may be them cheaping out on the packaging who knows but it will still be a collectable kit nether the less 

I'm certainly not cancelling, but if it's true that the kit is just a Evo on the outside and not the inside then I can definitely understand why others may want to do a u-turn. For the price they are charging it's unacceptable for them to leave the guts of the original buggy out of the re-release.

On a more positive note, I think the new box-art with the "EVO" logo looks better than the original. Usually when Tamiya have re-released a buggy with slightly altered decals I go chasing an original set to complete my re-re, but in this case I will be happy to stick with the EVO badges instead of EVOLUTION.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Yeah, I had hoped they would've gone all the way on this one and given it the same treatment as the Avante & Egress. I guess we'll have to wait for the Avante 2001 (2021) for that to happen. 

As for transmission and turnbuckles I really have no idea, seems weird they would've skipped on that. The blister I can sort of understand, but turnbuckles - that would just be lazy. 

Luckily for me I've never had a Top Force Evolution, nor seen one in the flesh, so I'm still psyched to get one. 

According to Glenn at RC Legends the kit doesn't come with the original transmission upgrades or turnbuckles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the stock photos that have been released so far you can clearly see that it has the same turnbuckle design as the Egress re-release which are also the same as the ones that were put in the recently re-released top force carbon chassis set. They are different to the original Evolution turnbuckles as the original had silver turnbuckles that had the hex adjuster in the middle and a portion of which was machined to allow you to grip it with pliers if you wanted. The new ones are black and smooth with the adjuster off center.

It does look to at least have 6mm ball connctors and adjusters but these are black (again same as the Egress re-release) instead of grey.

Original Top Force Evolution turnbuckles:

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img24402_89004_1.

 

Re-release turnbuckles:

TF077.jpg

 

As for the drive train, it does apparently include the front one-way idle gear the same as the original Evolution but as yet no one really knows if it will include the aluminium ball diff cases and hop-up internals to build them with. I'm sure the press release blurb says they are included, but I'd honestly be quite suprised as Tamiya hasn't offered them as a stand-alone hop up yet and the way they have cheaped out with the rest of the kit why would they make such a bespoke part just for it?

If anyone can understand German, I'm sure the Tamico guy mentions them towards the end of the video when he's comparing the contents to his original kit...

Personally, for the price of the kit, I think it's a pretty good deal, you basically get a fully hopped up top force for less than it would cost to buy all the parts seperately. It's not a 'true Evolution', and for those just wanting to collect nibs or build and display a new kit I can see why they are dissapointed, but for those that will never get the chance to own or run an original you can now experience running something that looks like the original and will drive very similarly without worrying about ruining it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 8:00 AM, Avante2001R said:

I’ve cancelled my orders. Disappointing.

 

16 hours ago, Rich427 said:

I cancelled my order as well for the TFE. Very disappointing.

 

Why have you cancelled the orders? Is it because its not true to the original, or uncertain supply? Just curious.

I won't be getting one as I got the Top Force and added hi caps, turnbuckles etc to get it close to the Evolution and can't justify spending the money on one, but if this had been released instead of the last run of Top Force I would've bought one for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the excellent write up, @Rich_8717

I can live happily with the differences in turnbuckles. And I guess we'll have to wait and se when it comes to the aluminium ball diff cases and internals. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Thanks for the excellent write up, @Rich_8717

I can live happily with the differences in turnbuckles. And I guess we'll have to wait and se when it comes to the aluminium ball diff cases and internals. 

 

 

Yeah I can live without turnbuckle colour differences but for the price of it should come with the better diffs! I've still got my order simply because I want it next to my stupidly expensive probably could have bought the first 100 tamiya rc for the cost of my rebuilt original topforce evolution!.......I think it will look quite cool🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moffman said:

Yeah I can live without turnbuckle colour differences but for the price of it should come with the better diffs! I've still got my order simply because I want it next to my stupidly expensive probably could have bought the first 100 tamiya rc for the cost of my rebuilt original topforce evolution!.......I think it will look quite cool🙄

Well, until it's arrived and disproven I'm going to say it comes with the better diffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rich_8717 said:

Original Top Force Evolution turnbuckles:

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img24402_89004_1.

 

I got a turnbuckle set as a hop-up for my Top Force, which look like this (but with black ball-ends), so they have been available separately.  I had no idea they were the Evo part, I just got them because I wanted turnbuckles and it was the TF set  :)

Part number 53109 was the set I bought, although they seem to have gone up in price quite a lot since then!  :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i am not happy when the full specs are released i will just flip mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an original which is for the shelf so looking forward to this one to run it with a restored top force. Had hoped it might have the ti screws as I’m missing a couple, or a different labelled GT tuned motor but rest all looks what makes sense. More interested to know when I’ll get it as tempted by the VQS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the specs listed on the rcmart page are anything to go by, the only major difference is that there's no titanium screws. But you do get carbon fibre damper mounts which the original didn't have. And no blister packs - well, better to have less plastic packaging, right?

According to rcmart, it comes with the one-way and the aluminium diffs. 

Too bad it doesn't come with an aluminium motor mount, but the original didn't either, much to my surprise when I found out just now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough. So it's still a hopped-up Top Force, just with a modernised version of the original hop-ups. That's good enough for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look at tit this way what ever is not in the re re kit compared to the original i recon they will get released as hop-ups witch if this happens then at least we will still be able to have it close to the original

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...