New Releases

what sort of steps do i need to take to pre order a Thunder Dragon so i can get one? ive never preordered an RC kit, $360 CAD is a pretty decent dent to the wallet but i love the design alot so its probably not gonna be a purchase i will regret. apparently it will be released in may 2021 so its not the most urgent thing but i do want to get an order in.

im not sure if L&L models is compatible as i live in Canada so im hoping Tamiya will put something on their site. im thinking Tamiyabase might be the best chance.

I want the TT02 with tracks.. Looks like it might be around £300, but it is just something so different, which is what I want from Tamiya. The GT40 shell is also very nice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qatmix said:

I want the TT02 with tracks.. Looks like it might be around £300, but it is just something so different, which is what I want from Tamiya. The GT40 shell is also very nice. 

You should put the tracks on your TRF420 😂

Ford GT40 body looks fantastic.. I do however miss new Porsche bodies.. I still can’t believe we do not have a 918 Spyder from Tamiya. I finally caved and bought the Montech GT3 RS look a alike body, just so I can run a Porsche in USGT class 

I do however foresee a McLaren Senna this year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qatmix said:

Mmmm a GT40 with tracks!!!!🤔

9 hours ago, nel33 said:

what sort of steps do i need to take to pre order a Thunder Dragon so i can get one? ive never preordered an RC kit, $360 CAD is a pretty decent dent to the wallet but i love the design alot so its probably not gonna be a purchase i will regret. apparently it will be released in may 2021 so its not the most urgent thing but i do want to get an order in.

im not sure if L&L models is compatible as i live in Canada so im hoping Tamiya will put something on their site. im thinking Tamiyabase might be the best chance.

$360 CAD for a thunder dragon seems extremely high. It should be about half that.  UK prices are £195 with ESC.

5 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

$360 CAD for a thunder dragon seems extremely high. It should be about half that.  UK prices are £195 with ESC.

That £195 itself seems high because modelsport have the higher spec (twin front shock) fire dragon for £165. Do they just throw a dart at a dartboard with some prices on it???? :lol:

5 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

That £195 itself seems high because modelsport have the higher spec (twin front shock) fire dragon for £165. Do they just throw a dart at a dartboard with some prices on it???? :lol:

hahah and the Terra Scorcher was right around that price point as well.  Yeah it does seem like random pricing.  I'm expecting the Egress to be pushing $500, but shouldn't it be cheaper than the TFE?

2 hours ago, A-Baum said:

hahah and the Terra Scorcher was right around that price point as well.  Yeah it does seem like random pricing.  I'm expecting the Egress to be pushing $500, but shouldn't it be cheaper than the TFE?

Yes, arguably the TFE is the better buggy for performance and was a later evolution of the Egress in some ways but for some reason the Egress holds alot of appeal. Not sure why. I'm guilty of it myself, given the choice between an Egress and a TFE for the same money I'd probably still buy the Egress. Sometimes we are just illogical creatures and the manufacturers capitalise on it. Even though I have two Egress I still prefer my Avante2001 - explain that logic!! :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mud4fun said:
6 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Wait, so how much are they asking for the Fire Dragon and Thunder Dragon?!  Do the prices typically drop as they get closer to release? The Terra Scorcher was under $200 USD. Are we looking at another price hike?

15 hours ago, nel33 said:

Do you not have any online retailers?

I’d suggest contacting Glen at Tamiya Legends and see what he suggests as he’s in Canada 

JJ

11 hours ago, A-Baum said:

for the time being thats more of a dart board price estimate but id be OK with it if it had great updated electronics. if its just a copy paste of the vintage one then the price is a bit harder to accept but i wouldnt put it past myself. i really like the design and some upgraded electronic dont seem too expensive to get for it. i wonder how much the vintage set cost when new back in the day... 

the Fire Dragon on TamiyaUSA is going for $259 USD, id say $280 USD/$356CAD is a fairly reasonable estimate to expect for the Thunder Dragon. Canadahobbies is listing the 2020 Terra scorcher at $420 CAD but with a 25% discount to lower it to $320 CAD. i dont think the Thunder dragon is going to be less than $300CAD when a price is released... im not sure how a Terra Scorcher compares to a TD but the prices are showing a certain pattern so far.

5 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Do you not have any online retailers?

I’d suggest contacting Glen at Tamiya Legends and see what he suggests as he’s in Canada 

JJ

there is Canadahobbies and JacHobby, both  are Canadian but im not sure where the first is located. Jachobby is the LHS that has RC stuff, another smaller one has a few RC stuff but is now more general toy/hobby shop. im thinking maybe sending Jachobby an email regarding the dragon.  

17 hours ago, qatmix said:

£325!

Nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price. Thats waaaaay to steep for me to pay. Which is a shame. I won't be getting one of release. I shall be waiting until it doesn't sell well and they plummet in price 🤣

I see the TF Evo comes with a new model of ESC, a TBLE04SR. Looking at the details  and it’s not listed for use with LiPo batteries. Why don’t Tamiya like LiPo?

just checking some info on the 2021 Thunder Dragon posted on Tamiyabase thats avaialble ATM.

Power supply with motor: Tamiya running battery (sold separately)

RC mechanism used: Tamiya electric RC drive set (sold separately)

in addition to a likely high price a Battery isnt included (not big issue for most people that have extra batteries). if i translate it correctly does the RC mechanism refer to a radio control transmitter? i got a Tactix ttx300 that is fairly good (and no antenna needed) on my TT02, so i guess another one would need to be purchased?

25 minutes ago, J@mes said:

I see the TF Evo comes with a new model of ESC, a TBLE04SR. Looking at the details  and it’s not listed for use with LiPo batteries. Why don’t Tamiya like LiPo?

All the new kits that feature an ESC,  will come with the TBLE 04SR including the TT02's. 

• Like 1

I wish Tamiya would just exclude the ESC and lower the price of the kits. I now have a growing pile of Tamiya ESC's in a box not being used because they are immediately replaced with HW1060's so we can run whatever motor (within reason) or battery (Inc LiPo) we want without having to faff around changing ESC's. I can't be the only one doing this?

6 hours ago, nel33 said:

there is Canadahobbies and JacHobby, both  are Canadian but im not sure where the first is located. Jachobby is the LHS that has RC stuff, another smaller one has a few RC stuff but is now more general toy/hobby shop. im thinking maybe sending Jachobby an email regarding the dragon.  

Try rcmart.com or thezoomroom.ca might be cheaper from rcmart no tax. Don't forget you will still need bearings and a steel pinion if you want to use it.

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

I wish Tamiya would just exclude the ESC and lower the price of the kits. I now have a growing pile of Tamiya ESC's in a box not being used because they are immediately replaced with HW1060's so we can run whatever motor (within reason) or battery (Inc LiPo) we want without having to faff around changing ESC's. I can't be the only one doing this?

You can buy them without ESC also

Well you can in the UK

JJ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

You can buy them without ESC also

Well you can in the UK

JJ

Yeah, some places offer that but before Xmas the cars the kids wanted were out of stock in most so I had to buy from modelsport or other places that for some reason we're not offering that option. Both the Aqroshot and Sand Viper came with ESC's but I couldn't see an option without. Maybe just a short term stock issue?

3 hours ago, nel33 said:

just checking some info on the 2021 Thunder Dragon posted on Tamiyabase thats avaialble ATM.

Power supply with motor: Tamiya running battery (sold separately)

RC mechanism used: Tamiya electric RC drive set (sold separately)

in addition to a likely high price a Battery isnt included (not big issue for most people that have extra batteries). if i translate it correctly does the RC mechanism refer to a radio control transmitter? i got a Tactix ttx300 that is fairly good (and no antenna needed) on my TT02, so i guess another one would need to be purchased?

As with most kits, you will need to supply the transmitter, receiver, servo and battery. Depending on the kit version, you may or may not also need to supply the ESC. However they don't have to be Tamiya items. Your Tactix set would be fine. 

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, some places offer that but before Xmas the cars the kids wanted were out of stock in most so I had to buy from modelsport or other places that for some reason we're not offering that option. Both the Aqroshot and Sand Viper came with ESC's but I couldn't see an option without. Maybe just a short term stock issue?

Well if you put them on eBay they will get snapped up :)

JJ

• Like 1

Sure would have liked to see the Cossie on the XV-01 chassis, but I'll definitely be picking one up. I've been wanting a TA02 anyway. The CC02 Mog is a much better body choice for the chassis, and indicates that Tamiya will continue to grow the range. 

The TF Evo is very exciting, too, and the frequency of the Thundershot chassis re-releases is nice to see, because they're excellent runners.  I'd still like to see Tamiya release mid-range 2 and 4WD modern buggies for the non-race market: something like a TA07 based wheeler and a 2WD based around the FF04 transmission. A FWD buggy would be a very Tamiya thing to do, too.

Finally, I really thought that we'd see a King Cab/Monster Racer rerelease this year. Three (!) of my customers are working on restorations right now, which is pretty exciting. 

15 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Wait, so how much are they asking for the Fire Dragon and Thunder Dragon?!  Do the prices typically drop as they get closer to release? The Terra Scorcher was under $200 USD. Are we looking at another price hike?

yea you could get a terra scorcher anywhere in toronto for about 230 bucks canadian when they came out.  the thunder dragon should really be at least 30-40 dollars less.

Am quite tempted by the CC02. Especially now as it would seem that they are producing it in a shorter wheelbase as standard. It now means tha a lot of the mis matched chassis/body combos can be rectified. ie a Unimog/Land Rover/Wrangler etc with a solid front axle rather than IFS