Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Project Kumamon: Dyna Storm going Millennium.

Well, I was so shure to get up in the morning, checking out Tamiyas 2021 scedule and doing pre-order for a NIB Dyna Storm,..... not. So I have to build my own one. This will be a slow built with many features and modifictions. I have my original Dyna Storm, I have the pimped TRF210x style and the Mid Motor conversion. Now I want something else. Something from this Millenium, something fresh but minimalistic, something what makes me laugh, smile and feel good when I see it.

So lets write down some facts:

1) Millennium Style

If I think about modern Dyna Storm my thoughts are instandly at Master @ralphees iconic Dyna interpretation of the TRF211x prototype buggy. It brings the Dyna to a modern level with its DF--03 taken parts and Super Astute Delrin arms.

20190309_163034.thumb.jpg.72a02700fd559cc14a8695b068713775.jpg

2) Fresh features
I will put all nostalgic beside and do whatever I can, to make it more millennium and modern. The MDC (Multi-Disc-Clutch) which I love so much on the Dynas and TR-15T have to go and instead a DF-03 Slipper clutch will be installed. The mod is already done.
The steering arms and mechanic will be swaped for aluminum arms with carbon fibre link instead of shafts with ballend adjuster. This will be the one new mod on this built. I will definitly go brushless on this one, I have enough stress looking for nice old brushed motors and No Limit ESCs for my runners. I go the easy way on this one.

3) The funnny part of it which makes me smile and laugh, KUMAMON! :wub:

kumamon.jpg

Kumamon is a marketing bear of Kumamoto Prefectur in Japan, whis is free to use as a brand as long you do any good with it (interesting sidefact). You guys for shure know the Tamiya dune buggy with this funny dude sitting behind the steering wheel. So I decided to do my Dyna Storm dedicatet to Kumamon bear. The shell in pear white and also the rims. Black is the carbon, tyres and plastic parts. For the cheeks, I will find something red for shure, probably by coating some aluminum parts.

Now here are some parts I already collected, some more are in my other spare boxes such as plastic trees, 3D printed parts and usual small parts such as shafts, ballends, damper, tyres etc... the whole kit should be in my spare parts boxes except for what I need to do the steering mod and the brushles combo & servo. All blue will be removed and maybe I just polished or they will become red for the "cheeks factor".

Ah, yes, its a Mid Motor chassis. I stay with it. So let the fun games begin. :wub:

ku_ds_001.jpg

ku_ds_002.jpg+

ku_ds_003.jpg

ku_ds_004.jpg

• Like 11

Awesome Collin! Looking forward to that build. I also wished for a Dyna Blaster or FF-01, but maybe next year ^_^

• Like 2

Okay, I am not doing a very detail build thread because so many steps all look the same. Anyway, this is the transmission as we all know it. :D
ku_ds_005.jpg

But something new now. As I use Super Astute arms they need a new mount and I started to modifie one of my printed ones. Somehow I messed it up and the brass bushings had too much play. But I remembered having this flange bearings laying around since a while, I think @Ann3x mentioned long time ago, that ballbearings instead of brass bushings would be plush. So here they are. As you can see the suspension mounts became huge, they look awfull like a 4x2 Lego brick. But! They give me enough space for this bearings now. So doing the best out of the worsed is my speciality.

ku_ds_006.jpg

• Like 4

Okay, I did one more thing : ) Its the slipper clutch mod with 48p 96T spur gear and 26T pinion with no space problem under the gear-cover. Larger pinions can be used but need to remove some material inside the cover. Even with an open gear cover it wouldnt be the big deal bcause its anyway under the shell. Just a Mid Motor ; )

@ruebiracer
Seems like this is the easier way then producing new spur gears, no?

ku_ds_007.jpg

ku_ds_008.jpg

• Like 3

:lol:;)

Yes Tom, at least when not using the multi disc clutch. I´d also choose the DF03 one. They work nice.

I have 2 retrofitted with Brushless in my Sand Scorcher and in my Monster beetle. Reasonable tuning!;)

Great build again, keen on all your "all in " mods like cardans etc.! But where did you get the white wishbones intended for the Super Astute? Again homemade?

Dyna greets,

Matthias

The wishbones are from ebay. :) There is that guy in Taiwan, very friendly contact ant the quality is perfect... DSRCC
CVDs are DF-02/03. In fact the same setup like Ralphee did on his Dyna TRF211x.

I am out of the blue babe!
ku_ds_009.jpg

This parts look so briliant once they are undressed... I call them Cold Ice and not Blue Steel.

• Like 2

@ThunderDragonCy Question, do you have spare parts from TRF201/DN-01 balldiff laying around? I guess so : ) What I would need is measure of the inner diameter of balldiff discs  Tamiya 51287. Can you help me out with this?
s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collin said:

@ThunderDragonCy Question, do you have spare parts from TRF201/DN-01 balldiff laying around? I guess so : ) What I would need is measure of the inner diameter of balldiff discs  Tamiya 51287. Can you help me out with this?
s-l1600.jpg

Sorry, but i don't. All my TRF201 derivative transmissions run the gear diff. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Collin said:

The wishbones are from ebay. :) There is that guy in Taiwan, very friendly contact ant the quality is perfect... DSRCC
CVDs are DF-02/03. In fact the same setup like Ralphee did on his Dyna TRF211x.

I am out of the blue babe!
ku_ds_009.jpg

This parts look so briliant once they are undressed... I call them Cold Ice and not Blue Steel.

Hey Tom, what was your method to strip the blue eloxation? Oven? Galvanic process?

Love your concept, will be supercool looking!

On 1/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, ruebiracer said:

Hey Tom, what was your method to strip the blue eloxation? Oven? Galvanic process?

Love your concept, will be supercool looking!

Drain Cleaner and polish afterwards. They look so precious now. :wub:
'sleeved_damper_01.jpg

• Like 2

I striped the gearbox again. I think fella @Kelleye mentioned TRF201 diff gears are very simular to Dyna. And they are plus they have two more balls inside. More balls, more power. :lol:
But they are not 3mm like Dyna but imperial 3/32" ones and luckily I found some im my Losi partsbox. Also the pressure discs are a bit lighter now, a @kontemax trick ;)

And if you  think I steal everything, no! TC is a source of inspiration. :wub:

ku_ds_016.jpg

ku_ds_017.jpg

But its not that easy that it looks like. Pressure discs got groves inside for the 850 bearing and needed to be shimmed to the outdrives. Imagine the 3/32" vs 3mm balls, this is a lot of difference. There is so much work in the detail, you cant imagine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Collin said:

I striped the gearbox again. I think fella @Kelleye mentioned TRF201 diff gears are very simular to Dyna. And they are plus they have two more balls inside. More balls, more power. :lol:
But they are not 3mm like Dyna but imperial 3/32" ones and luckily I found some im my Losi partsbox. Also the pressure discs are a bit lighter now, a @kontemax trick ;)

And if you  think I steal everything, no! TC is a source of inspiration. :wub:

ku_ds_016.jpg

ku_ds_017.jpg

But its not that easy that it looks like. Pressure discs got groves inside for the 850 bearing and needed to be shimmed to the outdrives. Imagine the 3/32" vs 3mm balls, this is a lot of difference. There is so much work in the detail, you cant imagine.

Work of art Tom, and great that you could improve performance! 2 balls more will be for sure a step ahead! So this is not the Mk2 car mentioned in your aother thread? The other one was a TRF version with rear engine for your customer, right? Got mixed up by the white wishbones!:D

Stay healthy, 

Matthias

This so awesome!

Sharing knowledge with others in this case is no stealing in my opinion, but what TamiyaClub is for.

Great work!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Work of art Tom, and great that you could improve performance! 2 balls more will be for sure a step ahead! So this is not the Mk2 car mentioned in your aother thread? The other one was a TRF version with rear engine for your customer, right? Got mixed up by the white wishbones!:D

Stay healthy, 

Matthias

Lets say, we both have MK1 Mid Motor conversion kit, the prototype. The MK2 for the Motobox museum is the first one with little changes in design I learned from MK1 prototypes.

The white wishbones are a different thing. Pure tech improvement and also available CVDs fits with them, which is the biggest advantage. All inspired by Ralphees Dyna.

• Like 1

Todays update:

ku_ds_018.jpg

ku_ds_021.jpg

ku_ds_022.jpg

ku_ds_019.jpg

ku_ds_023.jpg

ku_ds_020.jpg

ku_ds_024.jpg

Whats up on the agenda:

1) Gearbox cover is 3mm to low and rubs against the spur gear and clutch. I will start to print a spacer, this is how its usually done on some motobikes too, when you install modified stronger clutch systems.
2) Need to mill two slots into the delrim rear arms for the lower damper mount. Luckily there is enough material.
3) Trying to get rid of the blue on the turnbuckles. Some how it does not fit in. I hope it will work with drain cleaner without damaging the darker coating. We will see.

So far I am satisfied and I am doing more progress then expected. :)

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Collin said:

Todays update:

ku_ds_018.jpg

ku_ds_021.jpg

ku_ds_022.jpg

ku_ds_019.jpg

ku_ds_023.jpg

ku_ds_020.jpg

ku_ds_024.jpg

Whats up on the agenda:

1) Gearbox cover is 3mm to low and rubs against the spur gear and clutch. I will start to print a spacer, this is how its usually done on some motobikes too, when you install modified stronger clutch systems.
2) Need to mill two slots into the delrim rear arms for the lower damper mount. Luckily there is enough material.
3) Trying to get rid of the blue on the turnbuckles. Some how it does not fit in. I hope it will work with drain cleaner without damaging the darker coating. We will see.

So far I am satisfied and I am doing more progress then expected. :)

Just wow Tom! Concept fullly works for me!:wub: Looks even meaner than the MK1!:lol: 

I really have to do my wing when it gets warmer. But playing with some TRF springs now for lower ground clearance.;)

All the best, and don´t get mistracted by shopping in Vienna! We need your updates.:P

Dyna greets,

Matthias

9 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

All the best, and don´t get mistracted by shopping in Vienna! We need your updates.:P

Dyna greets,

Matthias

No worry. I am looking at the crowd and simply cant belief my eyes.

Next update tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

20 years later... (gosh, one night long no TC feels long). :lol:

MIlled the lower damper mounts slots. Delrin is a nice material, I think I have to get some for own idears and projecs.
ku_ds_025.jpg

It went out fine but did not mentioned, the shocks collide with the turnbuckles. It was late when I decided to do this step and oversaw it. So the mount have to go to the rear side as usual. On the track I broke two ballends and arms because of this mountig position.

ku_ds_026.jpg

Now the shocks are mountet at the out side of the arm and not using the slot. But to be honest, its not bad at all. Still rigide but if the screw breaks, you can get the threated bolt out with small pliers. I am very satisfied wiht this little modification, even if it does not came out like I thought at the begin.

Here we have the upper mount. Its from my Losi, a printet spacer and... a pressing nut :lol:
The pressing nut is somehow cool because of the flange inside. It gives the damper eye enough space to move a bit around. I will take off the tiny spikes from the nut to not damage the aluminum body. A drop of loctite will do the rest.

ku_ds_027.jpg

ku_ds_028.jpg

ku_ds_030.jpg

My goal for today, uncoating the blue turnbuckles. Update later mates.

• Like 5

Oh, forgot to post the pics of the gearbox spacer. It works like a charme.

ku_ds_031.jpg

First I always print one layer to check alignement, this saves a lot of time, material and energy. The shape is great so I printed a 3.5mm tall spacer.

ku_ds_032.jpg

ku_ds_033.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Collin said:

Delrin is a nice material, I think I have to get some for own idears and projecs.

Absolutely,  it's a joy to work with - hard enough to form a proper chip. Nylon and the like can still be too "gummy" sometimes. 

Loving the progress also. Lots of care going into this. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hobgoblin said:

Absolutely,  it's a joy to work with - hard enough to form a proper chip. Nylon and the like can still be too "gummy" sometimes. 

Loving the progress also. Lots of care going into this. 

Exactly! The structure of this material is perfect for milling and lathe. And thanks for the compliment, this three Dyna Storm I made in the last time kept me sane during this lockdown marathon. All my passion is going into RC in the moment. :wub:

About the today progress, I went to my workshop to uncoat the turnbuckles. And on the way back I grabbed some sun along Danube Canal. It was freezing cold but really nice sunny weather. Greetings from Vienna lads.
ku_ds_035.jpg

Ah yes, back to the turnbuckles. :) Yes, the coated metal does resist agains the drain cleaner, at least longer then the aluminum. The silver ones look so much more delicate to me. Yummy.
ku_ds_036.jpg

ku_ds_037.jpg

Drybuild the front suspension with bulkhead from manobet and shocktower. Drybuild because I will disassemble it to modifie the bulkhead for the ballbearings. Still waiting for the milling cutter to be delivered.
ku_ds_038.jpg

ku_ds_039.jpg

So now its time to tinker around with the steering mechanic. Awaiting Tamiya FF-03 steering arms, meanwhile I will draw a sketch for the link element.

tamiya-alu-lenkhebel-satz-blau-ff-03-pro
And this is how Kumamon Storm will stay for the moment. Pretty elegant, I am very satisfied with it. Maybe,... *hust* this will be my first shelf model. :ph34r:

ku_ds_040.jpg

ku_ds_041.jpg

And finally this is how the upper damper mounts will be. 3D printed spacer, Losi mount, rubber o-ring,  modified pressing nut and nyloc counternut. I like the black/silver arrangement.

ku_ds_034.jpg

• Like 5

Your work is awesome. I love every decision you made so far. This car is so beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1