Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Project Kumamon: Dyna Storm going Millennium.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am also very happy the way how it runs. It will be pretty hart for me to top this one, but its all not about competition.

Found some time yesterday to modifie the front bulkhead. Suspension is done, next step will be the steering mod. For the moment I put on the original mechanics. Beside I arranged a test rig from an old Dyna chassis. Its a bit easier to start tinkering on that then on a half build buggy. But I am still waiting for some parts from Tamico to start tinkering on the new steering mechanism.

ku_ds_042.jpg

• Like 1

Bought myself a new desk lamp : ) All this black screws with black paintet plastic and carbon does bother my eyes. :D

ku_ds_044.jpg

Its so brilliant, you can lower it down to have light on your hands but the screen is still in the shadow. Changing lights kelvin and intensity also. Three joints & the light itself can rotate 270° along its axis. Highly recommended for any of you who needs good light on the spot.

About the Dyna, since I used gearcover spacer the mainshaft stands just a tiny bit out ouf it. So I made a short plug, Kumamon style :wub:

ku_ds_043.jpg

Chassis is complete, now its time for the paintjob.

ku_ds_046.jpg

To remember, tis is the friendly bear Kumamon.

kumamon.jpg

This might say, black shell because the fur is black. White is found with the delrin suspension arms. and some red here and there. Hmmmm... :unsure:

I would say, white shell, smoked windows and red rims. I think a full black body with all the black carbon and printed parts is too heavy looking.

What do you guys think? I am happy to hear your opinion about the colour scema. ;)

• Like 2

Paintjob is done, I stayed on the white side, somehow its stupid to stick a black bear decal on a black shell. :D

But somehow black would have worked better in general, to be bear-like. Its just great that repro shells does not cost a fortune and If I dont like it in a while, the white one will be dedicated to the "shell-eating-track-monster" .

Its also, I feel like red rims does not fit the white shell but to the black, vice versa the black rims totally fit to the white shell, I think.

ku_ds_047.jpg

ku_ds_048.jpg

ku_ds_049.jpg

ku_ds_050.jpg

But tomorrow I will do the decals, I am too tired today.  One other thing, I made the XV-01 steering mod.

ku_ds_051.jpg

I will designe a few different link-plates, they will be cut out of carbon fiber with my next batch. This one here is out of my hobbyprinter. Jost fine enought to see how it fit and how it works. I am very excitet to test the different layout of the linking-plates on the track, regarding steering behaviour.

• Like 3

Wow Tom, looks so cool! Even in white, especially with the black rims!:rolleyes:

If I may add a little critic words, I´d leave off the shock tower mount protectors, or do a redesign the other way round. So they could work as little wings and do not catch so much air. Hope you get my intention. For sure it´s goood to have them on on the track outing...

The steering mod is quite cool! For sure there is some tuning potential. You could also produce a link by an L-Alu sheet, so you could mount the ball cups 90° turned. So it would be easy to change the Ackermann geometry by adding spacers. Maybe less work instead of doing many links in the beginning...

Can´t wait to see final Kumamon,

Matthias

I agree with the shock protectors, they have a function, pulling a sleeved damper top out of the track just happenes :D but from the point of design they are a bit hmmm... and from aerodynamic, I simply did not cared about it at all.

About the steering mechanism, this is more or less the same layout like Dyna Storm, the leaver are a bit shorter but the ballends are on the same position. The steering of the Dyna is great how it is, but I am just curious how changes will feel on the track.

• Like 1

Today is decal thursday! :D

ku_ds_053.jpg

ku_ds_054.jpg

ku_ds_055.jpg

ku_ds_056.jpg

ku_ds_057.jpg

ku_ds_058.jpg

ku_ds_059.jpg

Still some place for some other decals but I am waiting for electronics. They are always nice to stick on. Also its funny, somehow the red rims work much better now then with the plain shell. I am satisfied again : )

• Like 5

Wow, like a bat out of badword, really cool end result Tom!:)

Like it very much! And all that extras! Do you put again some oldschool electronics in?

Thanks Matthias.

I will leave it in my shelf for now because I still have to work out some things on the Mid Motor MK1. All my cars are heavy runner but I want to keep one nice and glossy : ) But it will pay its duty once it is the time for. But if you ask for electronics, I would go brushless because the topic was "millenium" somehow. If I d have 200€ left I would buy a combo and servo immediatly. but nothing left now...

• Like 1

Spectacular project! The stripped-and-polished metal parts give the chassis an aura all its own...

... to say nothing of the Kumamon theme! So far, it looks like it will be well-executed. I do enjoy your build threads ^_^

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, Grastens said:

Spectacular project! The stripped-and-polished metal parts give the chassis an aura all its own...

... to say nothing of the Kumamon theme! So far, it looks like it will be well-executed. I do enjoy your build threads ^_^

Thanks a lot. Next build thread will be something very special, but it needs some more preperation bevor presentation ;)

About the aluminum parts, they have indeed a very different look after removing the blue. They look so precious now.

Got the carbon parts this week and made the steering upgrade. Four different ackermans with four different linking-plates. Usually you stay with one, once you have your favourite steering geometry. I am on standard geometry now and will do some tests with the other plates soon. But for general the original DS geometry is already pretty quick and direct.

ku_ds_061.jpg

ku_ds_060.jpg

ku_ds_062.jpg

ku_ds_063.jpg

And switched to red front and black rear rims on a good advice from a friend. Definitly better now : )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:57 PM, Collin said:

Got the carbon parts this week and made the steering upgrade. Four different ackermans with four different linking-plates. Usually you stay with one, once you have your favourite steering geometry. I am on standard geometry now and will do some tests with the other plates soon. But for general the original DS geometry is already pretty quick and direct.

ku_ds_061.jpg

ku_ds_060.jpg

ku_ds_062.jpg

ku_ds_063.jpg

And switched to red front and black rear rims on a good advice from a friend. Definitly better now : )

Getting better and better Tom, it looks like a mean race machine already! Have fun testing the steering links!

Are the wheels printed in red?

They are painted red.

Got a almost new Ko Propo VFS-1 Hara / Twister 2 ESC lately and I think I will equip the Kumamon with it. I cant keep it as a shelfqueen, its just too good to not run it. :wub:

• Like 1

Hey hey. Between this and that I decided to have a little rest and did some little modifications to my Kumamon Dyna. Finally I got the aluminum steering arms with carbon bridge. The ackerman can be set with this slotted ballend mount. Also I swaped the rear and front shocktower to a 3mm plate. This happened by accident becaus I wanted short dampers to the front and got a 3mm shocktower instead of a 2,5mm one. So I dug into my proto-part-box and voila, there was a nice 3mm rear shocktower as well. Now it fits both an d the mini sleeved front damper gives the whole thing a complete new look. I like the lower front very much on this one. I think its complete now, ... at least for a while : )

ku_ds_064.jpg

ku_ds_065.jpg

ku_ds_066.jpg

ku_ds_067.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you very much. I think its almost done. Maybe the rear wing mount will be replaced by a rubber one. The wire mount is really "nostalgic" somehow : )

• Like 1