Gingad

Hello from Lincoln

Hey newbie here just after some advice for a beginner. Was thinking of a aqroshot at first but any other recommendations would be great thanks

Hi and welcome :)

My youngest daughter got an aqroshot for Xmas, she loves it. She built it entirely herself in one day and finds it a surprisingly good little truck.

The only issue we had with it was the stock tyres, they are quite hard and don't have a good tread pattern. Great for dry tarmac but have virtually no grip on wet tarmac or grass. We fitted Mad Bull wheels fitted with hand cut IMEX Claw Dawg tyres which not only give it a more rugged 'truggy' look but they grip much better. She can still manage to do lots of power slides and wheelspinning though. :D

• Like 1

Hi Gingad . Welcome to the club . The Aqroshot looks like a good starting point . Have you owned an RC car before ? . The basic upgrades for this car would be ballraces as I believe it comes with plastic bushes . If you buy it as a package it should come with all you need to get you started , ie radio / battery / charger etc . The main point to ask yourself is where you will use it - garden , car park , woodland ? , as this will have a bearing on what sort of RC car / chassis would suit you .

I haven't owned a "proper" car, I've had drones, and toy buggys. 

I'd like to use it on tarmac and take it over the quarry nearby so need something quite tough. I'd love a rally car but doubt it be any good off road

I think the DT03 Aqroshot will make a great first car. There are also readily available parts including hop-ups. The only thing that makes it slightly less suitable than a buggy version of the DT03 chassis is the tyres. The wheels and tyres are an odd size and there are not a huge range of options in that size whereas a buggy has a vast range of both Tamiya and non Tamiya wheels and tyres to choose from. 

I was also wondering about different shells for it. I have done a search and can't find much different to the original. But I guess once I've got it I'll probably want more 😂

The DT-03T Aqroshot is the truck version of the DT-03 buggy chassis, and all it takes to convert it to buggy mode is a buggy body and wheelset along with shorter front axles to fit the narrower buggy wheels.

As a buggy,  shell options include the Neo Fighter and Racing Fighter from Tamiya, as well as numerous aftermarket options. For example, I forget who it was, but someone on here has/had one wearing a very nice Team Azarashi shell that gave it a really modern look.

If you keep it in truck mode, Proline make some stylish American style pickup bodies that fit well. Who was it on here who fitted a Raptor shell to theirs?

This is my youngest daughters, she likes the bigger tyres, reminds her of eldest daughters Mad Bull I think.

She didn't like the original flat 'wing' and wanted a proper wing on it so she has a Schumacher Cougar wing fitted.

827987105_aqroshot(2).thumb.jpg.d7d99f6e55e863dac598ce3422cf3d3a.jpg

• Like 2

Here is mine, also on non-standard wheels and tyres. I suspect that changing the tyres is the first thing done by most Aqroshot owners!

2019-11-24_12-13-01

2019-11-24_12-12-19

I used Mad Bull tyres on limited edition red chrome Wild Willy II wheels (same as Mad Bull ones apart from the colour).

Like Youngest Mudlet I didn't like the stock rear wing, which is a chrome thing that looks a bit like an afterthought. However rather than swapping it out entirely, I tried to make it blend in better by giving it a carbon wrap. Personally I think it works.

• Like 3

That looks great @TurnipJF and as you no know, they still handle and turn pretty well even on the large tyres.

Depends a bit on age, i have 3 Daughters but my main project is to get my 5 years old hooked on this (others are to old and to young), no huge success so far. In short they are to fast for her and they scare her a bit, the one she enjoy most i Agrios as its slow and very very easy to controll, but neither the build or price is very beginner like on that one.

So im thinking now that for kids under 10 i would suggest, Wild Willy team kits & commical serie as i believe both how they behave and looks are more fun for Kids (though i stil love the look of Wild willy its so Iconic :)

Kids 10-13. Can probably build the simplest kits themself and im thinking Mad Bull, Lunch Box, The Grasshopper, Hornet.

And ofc the kid get ti choose the colours of the TS/PS Paint :)

All kits should have proper bearings, you can get complete bearing set for each set so you dont have to figure out which size and how many you need for your kit. 

12 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

That looks great @TurnipJF and as you no know, they still handle and turn pretty well even on the large tyres.

Indeed they do - very nimble despite their chunky appearance. Here is a short clip of mine doing some turns on a previous round's postal racing course:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, simalarion said:

...... So im thinking now that for kids under 10 i would suggest, Wild Willy team kits & commical serie as i believe both how they behave and looks are more fun for Kids (though i stil love the look of Wild willy its so Iconic :)

Kids 10-13. Can probably build the simplest kits themself and im thinking Mad Bull, Lunch Box, The Grasshopper, Hornet.....

SNAP! I have three daughters too....

The two youngest built a pair of thundershots when they were ages 7 and 9, however these are kids that had spent hours with me on the drive helping me restore and rebuild 1:1 Land Rovers so were not just mechanically astute but a thundershot was a walk in the park compared to what I used to have them do..... youngest helped me rebuild an engine when she was just 6 and no I'm not joking.... she hand ground all the valves in on my cylinder head and the engine is still running fine 8 years later so she did a good job :D (she also built her Aqroshot in 5 hours flat on Boxing day....)

It is surprising what kids are capable of and how quick they pick things up. Not sure if it is because mine had the additional advantage of building LOTS of Lego, Airfix and Warhammer too? :)

@mud4fun That is impressive. My 5 year old is like a monkey on speed, i can max have attention for 1 min. I still have problems learning here to sit still and eat like a proper person for 10 min. I was a wild one to, im told :).

That said she is very good at sports for her age...

• Haha 1

@simalarion LOL, I didn't have that problem however I did have endless fights between the two youngest and indeed they still occur now. Two very competitive girls. Eldest left home a few years back. All three are very different characters. Youngest is probably the most mechanically adept and the most patient. Middle mudlet is fine building a buggy up to the point when she hits a problem like trying to squeeze a circlip on and it pings off into far dark corner of the room, at that point she throws down her tools and goes to play on her xbox. Eldest was not that interested in the building but did used to enjoy running them. She also had a thundershot in addition to her mad bull. She used to attend TC meets at clumber park with me back in the early 2000's.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mud4fun said:

@simalarion LOL, I didn't have that problem however I did have endless fights between the two youngest and indeed they still occur now. Two very competitive girls. Eldest left home a few years back. All three are very different characters. Youngest is probably the most mechanically adept and the most patient. Middle mudlet is fine building a buggy up to the point when she hits a problem like trying to squeeze a circlip on and it pings off into far dark corner of the room, at that point she throws down her tools and goes to play on her xbox. Eldest was not that interested in the building but did used to enjoy running them. She also had a thundershot in addition to her mad bull. She used to attend TC meets at clumber park with me back in the early 2000's.

yeah, sound very familiar. Actually my biggest hope for a RC Car companion is the youngest one, she is very patient and can sit stil and actually play with Lego etc which the 5 year old never has, she just throw toys around. My oldest daugher is only interested in Social media, Soap, make-up, clothes and other boring things.

Maybe i shold try i pink Wild Willy :)

• Like 1

I don’t think I’d ever seen an Arqoshot in the US ( outside of YouTube and this forum ) . Looks like a DT03 based chassis would be a good age appropriate build. 
I also agree with above that the Wild Willy 2 and comical series might be fun for kids( however the quirky handlin god those might be challenging for less experienced drivers) 

17 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Here is mine, also on non-standard wheels and tyres. I suspect that changing the tyres is the first thing done by most Aqroshot owners!

2019-11-24_12-13-01

2019-11-24_12-12-19

I used Mad Bull tyres on limited edition red chrome Wild Willy II wheels (same as Mad Bull ones apart from the colour).

Like Youngest Mudlet I didn't like the stock rear wing, which is a chrome thing that looks a bit like an afterthought. However rather than swapping it out entirely, I tried to make it blend in better by giving it a carbon wrap. Personally I think it works.

Did you change the gearing, sounds like it’s brushless!

6 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Funny, now you mention it, you're right, it does sound very whiney compared to youngest mudlets which is whisper quiet. It actually sounds a bit like my Cougar with its ungreased and exposed pinion with my 33K rpm brushed motor, howls like a banshee.

6 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Yes it is brushless, running a Speed Passion 10.5t fed by a Quicrun 10BL120 ESC and 2S LiPo. The standard alloy pinion was swapped for a steel one, but the ratio remains stock.

This setup gives great performance - in the video I didn't go above about 1/8 throttle, and that was right at the end when it scooted off camera.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Yes it is brushless, running a Speed Passion 10.5t fed by a Quicrun 10BL120 ESC and 2S LiPo. The standard alloy pinion was swapped for a steel one, but the ratio remains stock.

This setup gives great performance - in the video I didn't go above about 1/8 throttle, and that was right at the end when it scooted off camera.  

Perfect. As it happens I have a 10.5 t motor waiting for a home and a set of Mad bull wheels and tyres. You know what they say imitation is the best form of flattery 

• Like 2