simalarion

How do you Store your Lipo Batteries

I decided to go for Lipo earlier than first was my plan mainly becouse my ny RC Car has dual Motor setup that really needs a Lipo that not loose punch fast (This is only a huge issue with Agrios). I did not see much about Fire risk before i decided to order them but now i see warning everywhere :).

So yes i have been reading a lot and i have the right equipment for charge and discharge and i know how to, and yes also how Storage mode work. But when set to Storage mode where do you guys store your batteries?. I was reading that you can not but it in cold conditions as fog/damp can make Lipo chemistry unstable so then i can not store them outside.

I have bought Lipo fire safe bags in different sizes i have plan to store them in, but as i googled now i see many pages suggest a Metal box or actually a safe to store them in, well i do not have that. But Comon, Lipo is uses all over the world in all sort of things, how dangerous can this be?, i think i never have seen a bigger case in the news regarding dangerous Liop fires.

Reason for being so carefull about this is mainly becouse i have kids in the house :)

I store mine in the lipo safe bags and in the house so temperature doesn't fluctuate too much. As long as they are storage charged they shouldn't randomly catch fire, its charging and discharging where the risk lies.

Unless I'm completely wrong on that, happy to be corrected...

• Like 2

Same here, I store both my LiPo’s in a Fire Safe bag in the house. Not that gets all that cold where I live. 

It’s heat that’s a problem, I’m always weary of leaving them in a hot car as it’s not uncommon in the summer for the inside of the car to get to 50 degrees C parked in the sun 😬 I either go out early morning or late afternoon when it’s like that. 

• Like 1

Does the cold knacker lipos? Mine are in my shed and its around 0.

23 hours ago, Butler said:

Does the cold knacker lipos? Mine are in my shed and its around 0.

I was reading that - degrees was not good in the long run as it can produce unwanted moist and that you shall not store them in fridge (not sure why you would want that).

As i live in a city block apartment my alternative are shared basement where it can be cold at winter, sheds (porch on each side off appartment) outside so to cold at winter time.

So only alternative i have is livingroom in Lipo bags where i have them now, if i did not have kids i would setle with that, also i put in a smoke/fire alarm in tha cabinet with them:). Also it seems a bad idea to me to store more than 1 battery in a Lipo bag, should have many small ones for each battery?. That said i was also reading the critical parts are discharge/Charge, when set in Storage mode i believe they are very safe in general.

I believe the best would just be a solid metal box, so im looking for obe.

• Like 1

Here's a good guide:

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

That being said, I don't store my lipos in a fireproof container.  Mine just sit on my hobby desk but that means they are also temperature controlled.  I do charge them with a lipo-safe bag, but I don't keep them in the bags when they aren't being charged/discharged.

• Like 1

I have been reading much more and wanted to update what i found out.

Should store Lipo in Storage mode in Room temp. Should check that each cell is stable and close to identical volt value in Storage mode. Then in general it is safe to store the Lipo battery, you can also check that it had good Resistance, lower is better.

I have seen videos that all those Lipo bags does next to nothing if it should catch fire (most critical under Charge/Discharge). If you want to store them safely the cheapest and one off the best seems to be Amoboxes (green military ones). And if you have many batteries i would not suggest putting all in one as i saw many do, then you have s potentional bomb if 1 catch fire (if you store more than 3-4). Bat-Safe seem to be a very good product but it cost a bit.

I ended up ordering Bat-safe mini and store 2 batteries, if i want more than 2 Lipo at a time i order another Bat-safe mini. That is just because i must store in livingroom and i have kids, to get it out off my head (also added a cheap smoke detector that i already had in same closet),

that wrote, as menioned, after all ive been reading they should be safe in Storage mode and if handeled correctly

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 9:18 AM, simalarion said:

I have seen videos that all those Lipo bags does next to nothing if it should catch fire

As with everything, depends on the quality. If you've got them off eBay for a quid, then they're probably more for show than function.

Lipo charge bags, are more to give you time to get them out to somewhere to let themselves burn out. 

Charging is more often than not, when lipos get grumpy, I've not known any that have just randomly let go sat in storage.

I store mine, in charge bags,  in a seal removed ammo box, in the garage away from combustibles. 

Ammo tin from eBay for me. Store in the garage but make sure they warm before charging.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 2:52 PM, Nobbi1977 said:

Ammo tin from eBay for me. Store in the garage but make sure they warm before charging.

Best bit of advice so far.

• Like 1

As i wrote i do not have a garage and many that live i city is in the same «boat», so i believe a bat-safe solution is better as it also filter smoke. First off all if you must charge/Discharge inside apartment also, but if you have a family like me i would also suggest a bat-safe (or similar solution) for storraging also. Thats my conclusion anyway.

Lipo batteries should be stored at 3.8V. (I think) That is where it is stable for long term storage. Meaning not using it. I would get a Lipo low voltage digital sensor. Different ones out there, from $5 on up. Reads full voltage and each cells voltage. Lets you monitor it when needed. To discharge them to the correct voltage, I recommend ISDT-FD-100 Lipo discharger. It works great, simple to use, and does what it should. Going for a good price.  Some chargers now days have the discharge function also.

If you ever see bulging of the battery, I wouldn't use it anymore. Different cell voltage inside the battery is not good either.

Hope that helps

On 1/31/2021 at 2:52 PM, Nobbi1977 said:

I do exactly the same, between RC and airsoft I've got quite a few Lipos and recon that this is about as safe as they can be stored.

• Thanks 1

I store mine in the living room, in a small cardboard box up on the shelf right under the fire system lol.

That being said, they're all in storage charge, and I check them once every month or so, and the living room is obviously very temp-controlled year-round.

I charge them at my desk, which is probably not the best idea, but I like to have eyes on a battery while it's charging.