paullyjay

My first Clod, Updated - Son Uva Digger Tribute

On 2/17/2021 at 4:40 AM, paullyjay said:

That explains why my 3s silver can experience was a super hot, smelly burning motor - I was running on grass and gravel, lots of hill climbs, lots of wheel spin, donuts etc...

I have considered a set of Traxxas titan 550’s as they do a reverse version of the 21t and they are 14.4v rated...

Since we now seem to have to qualify ourselves.......... 

I really want to advise you to choose a different Motor. Traxxas Titans are OK...  But in my 43 Years of experience, including 5 doing competition Clod SLED PULLING, plus Racing Buggies for Team Associated.... 

Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 Motors are better made, balanced, and surprisingly affordable! 😉 

I emailed John Holmes, Owner, and he says that he's got UK, and even one or two EU Distributors.  Ask ANY Serious or Competition Crawler - and ask THEM what they think of Holmes Hobbies Motors. 😊

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Since we now seem to have to qualify ourselves.......... 

I really want to advise you to choose a different Motor. Traxxas Titans are OK...  But in my 43 Years of experience, including 5 doing competition Clod SLED PULLING, plus Racing Buggies for Team Associated.... 

Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 Motors are better made, balanced, and surprisingly affordable! 😉 

I emailed John Holmes, Owner, and he says that he's got UK, and even one or two EU Distributors.  Ask ANY Serious or Competition Crawler - and ask THEM what they think of Holmes Hobbies Motors. 😊

Whaaaaaaat?????? Crawler motors, aren’t they going to be a little on the ‘slow’ side?

As I understand it crawler motors have a higher turn count, and are slower (more torquey) than ‘race’ or ‘stock’ motors? Am I missing something?

@Carmine A OK, OK.... Scrap my last post!

I googled them... they are available in the UK, and they do look pretty awesome.... They are now firmly added to the wish list!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 11:16 AM, paullyjay said:

@Carmine A OK, OK.... Scrap my last post!

I googled them... they are available in the UK, and they do look pretty awesome.... They are now firmly added to the wish list!

Yeah.... I should have mentioned that you can get HH 550 Motors as low as EIGHT TURNS!!! 😲😳😎

The 15T work GREAT on Clods. Any lower, and you might want to consider Gear Reduction Units. 

Oh.... And they're all 0 Timing, so no need to figure front or back. 😉

• Like 1

@CarmineA    There are plenty of olde skool guys on Clodtalk running 3S, and have done for 7+ years or longer.  Andymacs thread has pretty much all the trials and tribulations you could read about if you've got a spare day or so - the odd video helps to see what sort of speeds are involved.

https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443

Andy is not racing or sled pulling, just 'bashing' and tinkering.  He, and others on that forum, have done enough motor and esc combos to know what works and lasts.  The Traxxas EVX-2 ESC is a tough reliable ESC, not the cheapest but it'll work for years and take some abuse. You can often pick up the earlier version without lipo cut off fairly cheap used, if you're happy to run a lipo alarm of cut short your run times to prevent low voltages.

Silver cans, EVX-2 and 3S lipo works well, and certainly gives enough speed for most people, and probably at the limit of what the standard(ish) chassis set up can utilise.  I've known people re-time one TZ/RZ motor to run reverse and they do give a boost in speed on 2S but its far easier and cheaper to run 3S and silver cans.

Larger motors will certainly give motor torque, but they often foul on the lower suspension arms due to the increased size so buy with care if that's the route you go.

As to battery packs, i wouldn;t look for anything less than 40C-60C, even on silver cans - better to have something that can easily delivery the current requested of the ESC; prevents the ESC shutting down/stuttering if nothing else. Li-po packs have come a long way in the last 5 years, and its probably quite hard to buy a low C rated one these days, but there will always be someone selling somethign temptingly cheap - buy wise, buy once.

And just to add, you might want to have some spare gear sets and axle tubes handy, they are the weak links when going up in power and speed.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2021 at 12:21 PM, Percymon said:

@CarmineA    There are plenty of olde skool guys on Clodtalk running 3S, and have done for 7+ years or longer.  Andymacs thread has pretty much all the trials and tribulations you could read about if you've got a spare day or so - the odd video helps to see what sort of speeds are involved.

https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443

Andy is not racing or sled pulling, just 'bashing' and tinkering.  He, and others on that forum, have done enough motor and esc combos to know what works and lasts.  The Traxxas EVX-2 ESC is a tough reliable ESC, not the cheapest but it'll work for years and take some abuse. You can often pick up the earlier version without lipo cut off fairly cheap used, if you're happy to run a lipo alarm of cut short your run times to prevent low voltages

Larger motors will certainly give motor torque, but they often foul on the lower suspension arms due to the increased size so buy with care if that's the route you go.

As to battery packs, i wouldn;t look for anything less than 40C-60C, even on silver cans - better to have something that can easily delivery the current requested of the ESC; prevents the ESC shutting down/stuttering if nothing else. Li-po packs have come a long way in the last 5 years, and its probably quite hard to buy a low C rated one these days, but there will always be someone selling somethign temptingly cheap - buy wise, buy once.

And just to add, you might want to have some spare gear sets and axle tubes handy, they are the weak links when going up in power and speed.

Thanks for all of this - I've had a look at Andy's thread - looks like nothing lasts well with him! but... all of that will save a lot of mistakes and bad purchases...

I was only looking at the 550 size motors because they had the voltage rating, but now I think I see that the general consensus is 3s and silver can or 2s and low turn count motors - like HPI firebolts or similar...

I just have to find some good 3S LiPo's - I think I may have used that one now thought, I found these and they are bang on the correct size to fit in the stock battery compartment! (and they already have deans connectors... so no soldering required!)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=425407

OK - Latest upgrade... Shocks... I got pretty fed up with the rattling and overly stiff springs, so I took one off each corner, removed half of the rubber tube to give more travel and added a mild lift... It worked really well, but it was still very bouncy... So I started searching for alternatives... I noticed that shocks are pretty polarising, with about a 50/50 split between those who like the 8 shock setup and those who prefer 4 shocks... 

I found out that TGM-02 shocks are the same length as Clodbuster springs, so I've ordered 2 pairs of them to see what they're like... That ticks 2 boxes for me - Tamiya original equipment and blue - in keeping with the super clod buster colours!

One set has arrived and in my haste (I'm just too impatient) I've fitted them onto the back axle... so to try and remove some of the bounce from the frond axle, I fitted an old set of DT-02 CVA shocks along side the original clod units...

Been out for a bash, and so far I'm liking how it handles!

IMG_6422.thumb.jpeg.b07b67dab7708e935a3c16534aae3b5f.jpeg

IMG_6425.thumb.jpeg.c6cbfd7c12b2f2b5842e0c0f21e8d977.jpeg

IMG_6426.thumb.jpeg.af0d6263cacaa20bd880ab505f0eaf13.jpeg

IMG_6423.thumb.jpeg.92991097fcc558283cd4fec6acebe0ad.jpeg

IMG_6424.thumb.jpeg.d2e6e4aa87c5f21d54f0606cba65b560.jpeg

• Like 1

More Mods.... Today, my second pair of TGM-02 shocks arrived, so this evening I fitted them and had a blast round the garden with my new JConcepts wheels and Golden Years tyres fitted... Here’s some photos and a couple of action shots... I’ve just put a bit of scrap wood down on the grass and used it as a popper... lots of fun!!

IMG_6431.thumb.jpeg.5466d1192af6f9a3cb890f16109adc39.jpeg

IMG_6432.thumb.jpeg.8e70cfec2209964f65e89fd9427bfb50.jpeg

IMG_6442.thumb.jpeg.83747c6fb29e0c38ad5e3b5a46abe32f.jpeg

IMG_6445.thumb.jpg.fd10a1e09bd98ed9546ee6a33ae4bfe1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Between following your Build, and your infectious enthusiasm.... 

You're getting me SO anxious to finally get my Clod!!!! 😲😳😁😁😜  It's waiting on my Inheritance.... which has had one DELAY after another, since December!! 😖😠😠😭 

I would be getting really cross by now, but I'm too busy sharing the excitement you're having - as well as 4 others on here! 😊  ...... I'm also getting IDEAS!!!💡😁

Love the JConcepts Wheels and Tyres. That was almost first on my list - Bin those hard as VINYL Tyres!!  And I'm doing Servo on Axle, front and rear. I can still remember how HORRIBLE the Stock Steering was on my 88 Clod.  Even IF today's Servos are 10X as powerful... That whole centre Servo, turning two thin Rods to each Axle, with very limited movement with the tiny dual Servo Horn, and those ridiculous Servo Savers - that ALSO restricted upwards Suspension Travel. 😖

OK.... I MAY not like the Stock Steering!! 😜  

I know - Tamiya Charm and all...  Sometimes I even like it. But my background as a Career Auto Mechanic, and years of RC Racing and other Competition - I got into a jaded, spoiled mindset... Or I'm just too OCD!! 😲😜 

But to me, modifying Tamiyas to track well and eliminating SLOP, has become a Hobby within the Hobby!!!  If I'm feeling the urge for some "Tamiya Charm"... 

I've still got my Grasshopper, stock right down to the 380 Motor!! 

But as you can see yourself, a GOOD set of Tyres and some decent, long travel Oil Shocks REALLY woke the old girl up! Didn't it?? 

My Friend, you've caught the Bug... And I'm afraid there's NO cure!! 😜😂  ENJOY IT!!  Your Rig is looking GREAT!

• Like 1

.... And just for the record, I've run a few of my Cars and Buggies with Silver Cans and Torque Tuned Motors on 3S. 

And except for some extra heat.... I only Fried one Motor. 🔥🔥 

My concern with yours was, the WEIGHT and the friction of extra large Tyres - with Silver Cans on 3S. I may not have had direct experience with that setup..... 

But I do understand Electricity, Motors, and Load. It just seemed like an unnecessary strain that could cost you, or anyone, possible serious damage! Especially with the amazing quality of modern Motors and ESCs. 

I'm going to try to make OPEN Endbell 550s fit comfortably in my Clodbuster. There might be just enough difference between open and closed end Motors.... 

It may or may not work. But in this Hobby - TRYING is half the fun!  May have to modify the Lower Arms. May not. I'll be sure and share my findings though!! 😉

• Like 1

Lots has happened over the last few weeks...

Having run this on 2s 25C liPos for a while (in my garden), I had to go into work to fix something I couldn't fix from home and while I was there I thought I would take the opportunity to run the buster around - there is a huge lawn and carpark, that of course, is empty right now! :D

Oh my days! - it was sooooooo slow!!!

Small garden + 2s = Awesome fun

Large open space + 2s = BORING!!!!!!

I dug out a 2200 3s battery, charged it up and Boom! super speed around the garden - almost uncontrollable! But... the problem I had was my LiPo alarm kept going off - the battery was only a 20-30C...

So, I ordered a couple of different 3s LiPo's from hobbyking which arrived last week. (a Turnigy Graphene 3000 75C and a Turnigy Heavy Duty 3300 60C)

IMG_6496.thumb.jpeg.1c626ec33262053e6b57df8de72f143d.jpeg

I've charged them both up and run the 3300 through - amazing!!! I now can roll over under braking and if I get it just right pull off a stoppie! I quickly realised that with a little bit of throttle control I can get it into reverse too and sometimes pull off a moon-walk!!!! Much more practice is needed, but 3S has opened up a whole new world of fun!

Now, I just need to get called into work again - or maybe if lockdown is lifted, I can get out to some larger spaces and really open it up!

Another blast around the garden on 3S - I checked the motor temps (by touch) the front motor is a little warm but OK to touch, but the rear motor is much hotter - too hot to touch...

Has anyone else had this result on 3S?

Was it after a full pack on 3S in the grass?  If so that's pretty normal.  Grass is actually one of the tougher things for an RC to run in and temps will get up there.  On my Clods with brushed motors and 3S Lipo I mostly used them in short bursts or for racing rather than full pack bash sessions for this reason.  Now in the dirt it should be fine for a good bash, but in grass it will get hot after a full pack.  Just my experience.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Was it after a full pack on 3S in the grass?  If so that's pretty normal.  Grass is actually one of the tougher things for an RC to run in and temps will get up there.  On my Clods with brushed motors and 3S Lipo I mostly used them in short bursts or for racing rather than full pack bash sessions for this reason.  Now in the dirt it should be fine for a good bash, but in grass it will get hot after a full pack.  Just my experience.  

It was only about 1/2 a pack, but, yes it was on grass in the back garden... Do you find that the rear motor gets hotter than the front on your rig?

As Smokey said, the rear motor in a Clod always has more load applied and will generally be hotter than the front.  That's what causes the infamous "Clod-Stall" in Clod-based crawlers.  With a standard dual motor ESC setup the rear motor will stall while crawling and the front is still moving. That's why most crawlers run dual ESCs.  That's not necessary in your case, but with the motor getting that hot it will wear out/fail sooner.  Do you have an IR temp gun?  Wonder how hot it was actually getting.  Usually too hot too touch for more than 3 seconds is too hot.  200F is about the max for a brushed motor to survive, keeping it under 160F is ideal.

@Smokeylocc420 OK - Coolio! 

@87lc2 I’m a bit worried about the life of these motors, I basically live on the grass! Perhaps it’s a good idea to swap them around once in a while to wear them more evenly...

I was called into work this week, so I had a chance to run it 3S on the huge lawn... It’s much better speed wise, but the rear motor got quite hot after only half a pack... On a brighter note: Stoppies and moon walking is soooooo much fun when you get it right! I definitely need more practice! I also must try to get it on video too - it looks so cool!

Next step - I need to build a ramp or backflip ramp...

Silver cans are so cheap I guess I just never bothered to check my temps when done running, but I've never had one fail on any of my trucks that run 3S.  The only way I kill silver cans on Clods are by runing them through the creek or mud.  I'll have to give one of mine a run this weekend and check the temps to see what they're doing.  

I assume you built the truck with bearing and there are no gearbox issues right?  Everything spins nice and smooth?  Definitley not a gear mesh issue as Clods don't have adjustment. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, 87lc2 said:

Silver cans are so cheap I guess I just never bothered to check my temps when done running, but I've never had one fail on any of my trucks that run 3S.  The only way I kill silver cans on Clods are by runing them through the creek or mud.  I'll have to give one of mine a run this weekend and check the temps to see what they're doing.  

I assume you built the truck with bearing and there are no gearbox issues right?  Everything spins nice and smooth?  Definitley not a gear mesh issue as Clods don't have adjustment. 

I never really thought about it like that, I think I might have another brand-new silver can squirrelled away somewhere... I also have a pair of new 15T HPI Firebolts which I planned to try on 2S, I think I just need to find some longer wires for them...

Yeah - I built it fully ball-raced with cera grease, the wheels spin freely and for a long time - buttery smooth!

I need ramps now!

I’ve been inspired by so many monster truck builds on here and other forums... I wish I could just afford to buy a ton of kits and build them into tributes of all my favourite 1:1 trucks....

I had already abandoned plans for a tribute of one of my favourite monster trucks (Bigfoot) as the decals had been lost in the post, but MCI replied to me and are re-sending the missing decals, so hopefully I’ll be able to finish a new body shell soon and have a beautiful ‘new’ Bigfoot Clod...

I’m having some problems finding suitable body mounts... Has anyone had any experience with magnetic mounts on a Clod - do they work OK or does the body keep flying off?

Just for the record, Bigfoot was pretty much the only monster truck we saw here in the UK back in the 80’s, all the other trucks were exclusively US based! No internet, social media etc... and we only had 4 TV channels when I was a kid, so no sports channel etc... I’v only really become a Monster Truck fan in the last 4 or 5 years as Monster Jam as become available to us on Youtube or other more obscure TV channels, so I’m only just catching up on the history of rivalries and the older classic trucks like USA-1, Michigan Ice Monster, Crimson Crusher, King Crunch, Excalibur etc.... I love the old skool racing!

Been following from the start and like others it as given me the urge to jump in a get one! Being in the UK like you my only concern is lack of upgrades here to buy,non Tamiya. Also I know very little of Clod stuff,have you found any goods sites,groups etc ,other than here. Not lazy but only so much time I can spend on the laptop.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

Been following from the start and like others it as given me the urge to jump in a get one! Being in the UK like you my only concern is lack of upgrades here to buy,non Tamiya. Also I know very little of Clod stuff,have you found any goods sites,groups etc ,other than here. Not lazy but only so much time I can spend on the laptop.

There is a bit of a lack of clod stuff available in the UK, (mainly due to Brexit and the Pandemic) but I’ve been able to get everything I need from ebay, https://www.modelsport.co.ukUK Monsters ebay shop and https://www.dms-racing.com and MCI racing for decals (although they haven’t arrived yet) JConcepts have so much nice  clod stuff available, if you can’t find it in the UK, you could always put in a big order from the US...

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 6:46 AM, paullyjay said:

..... if you can’t find it in the UK, you could always put in a big order from the US...

Yeah, we have no shortage of Clod bits.... For now.

• Like 1

My replacement 'missing-in-the-post' Bigfoot stickers have arrived and I've finally finished the original clod buster shell... As much as I like it now it's finished, I don't think I'll ever use it - too easy to damage and scratch... So, I think I might just sell it on rather than have it sitting in a box somewhere...

IMG_6617.thumb.jpeg.d88cc0acb0ae1a38c607baa495ac5e43.jpeg

IMG_6618.thumb.jpeg.39630cbbe72bb1320a40fe548578ee2d.jpeg

• Like 3