paullyjay

My first Clod, Updated - Son Uva Digger Tribute

Hi - I’ve recently ordered my first clod buster - I’m still waiting for it on back order, it seems there must be some stock issues in the UK right now... In the meantime I have been gathering bits for modding, I plan to stretch it and lift it and I’ve got a JConcepts Ford F-250 shell to make a retro-racer style Bigfoot... I’ve picked up a hobby wing 880 so I can run 2S Lipo’s and perhaps even 3S, but I have no idea which would be the best motors to use to give it a decent turn of speed... I want to stick to brushed on this truck, more for the retro feel and sound.

I’ve looked at Traxxas Titan 12T 550’s, HPI Firebolt 15T (as I’ve had these before) and Traxxas Titan 21T 550 which can take up to 14V I’ve also looked at Arma Mega 550’s and some of the Axial offerings...

What motors have you guys tried and with what sort of results... I’m really looking forward to hearing what you guys are doing!

• Like 1

I am running some generic GoolRC 17t 540 motors in my Clod and that runs great on 2s.

12t on 2s is on the edge with the 880, especially when running 550 sized, 3s is only for 18t and up.
But I cannot imagine fitting 550 motors in a Clod?
The space for 540 is already pretty limited.

Firebolt 15t is a proven and much used choice as far as I know, wanted them also, but could not find them in stock anywhere.
And for €16 for 2 17t GoolRC motors on black friday the choice was easy

I've had a Clod on back order for a few weeks which has given me plenty of time to think about upgrades too. I was considering the HPI Firebolts as they are known to have zero timing and can run in either direction. The GoolRC motors look to have replaceable brushes and have adjustable timing. Are these factory set at zero or do you have to adjust them to use in the Clod?

1 hour ago, Ministrone said:

I've had a Clod on back order for a few weeks which has given me plenty of time to think about upgrades too. I was considering the HPI Firebolts as they are known to have zero timing and can run in either direction. The GoolRC motors look to have replaceable brushes and have adjustable timing. Are these factory set at zero or do you have to adjust them to use in the Clod?

As far as I can tell mine came both with zero timing set.

I have an 880 and 2 firebolts in my Wild Dagger, on 2s. It runs great.

I can see the GoolRC motor has timing marks and I guess the double mark indicates zero timing? If new brushes are available, these might be a better option than the Firebolts for similar cost.

Screenshot 2021-01-26 155439.jpg

• Like 2

Mine's also on the way! Also going with WP880 and two Holmes Hobbies 15T 550 Motors on 3S. The Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Motors are all Zero Degree, so no worries there. Should be almost scary!

In a fit of weakness (was it really, though?) a couple of days ago, I purchased a couple of GoolRC 17T motors (with the ESC even, it was the same price as without), and then maybe an hour later also had a couple of Firebolts on the way.  Another 880 should probably be procured now that I think about it...

• Like 1

Probably unpopular opinion, but... if you've never had a Clod before, you should build it stock at first and then start making upgrades. Yes, it means having to take apart half the truck later, but the stock Clod driving experience is just one of those quintessential "Tamiya things" that it's worth a little extra work down the road. Don't miss out on that experience. Try it first with the 540 motors, the stock tub and suspension, and yes, even the stock steering setup. You'll appreciate the upgrades more, as well.

Source: have owned Clods ranging from box-stock through all the old-school upgrades, and all the way up to full-on cantilever-shock race chassis with 2 steering servos and way too much power.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Probably unpopular opinion, but... if you've never had a Clod before, you should build it stock at first and then start making upgrades. Yes, it means having to take apart half the truck later, but the stock Clod driving experience is just one of those quintessential "Tamiya things" that it's worth a little extra work down the road. Don't miss out on that experience. Try it first with the 540 motors, the stock tub and suspension, and yes, even the stock steering setup. You'll appreciate the upgrades more, as well.

Source: have owned Clods ranging from box-stock through all the old-school upgrades, and all the way up to full-on cantilever-shock race chassis with 2 steering servos and way too much power.

That is exactly what I plan to do... I want to start with everything stock, except the ESC - that's going to be the hobbywing 880... Then I'm going to lift it with a set of carbon lifters and stretch it with an aluminium chassis plate and finally I was planning on locking the rear steer and increasing the front steer with an on axle servo mount... Next will be the body - I have everything I need to make Bigfoot tribute body, (That's the monster truck I remember the most from my childhood) so essentially it will be a retro-racer, the only things I'm not sure about are motors and suspension... And eventually I'd really like to get some different wheels and tyres, something like the JConcepts firestorms...

If you have any other good suggestions of essential upgrades, I'm all ears!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Yeah, good advice that! Sometimes, several Guys like myself - who have built so many Kits, that we go straight for upgrading......

Often forget that if you're going into this for the first time, the pure experience of a bouncy, sloppy Tamiya has Charm and makes memories that money can't buy!! 

Now I'm not saying that they're BAD either. But what Mark's getting at is, you'll really appreciate MORE of the results and advantages - if you first take it out bog standard, and just ENJOY it! 😉 

Seriously, if you built it straight from the Manual, it will run well, be durable, jump nicely, and RUN OVER everybody else's Cars!!! 😜  I would start Stock, to get a feel for what the Truck actually is. (except maybe the Hobbywing WP880 ESC - because if you run Lipos - there's NO Lipo Cutoff on ANY Tamiya ESC!) That's just a safety issue.

22 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Yeah, good advice that! Sometimes, several Guys like myself - who have built so many Kits, that we go straight for upgrading......

Often forget that if you're going into this for the first time, the pure experience of a bouncy, sloppy Tamiya has Charm and makes memories that money can't buy!!

I mean, we all started out with box-stock kits the first time around, because that's what we had... didn't stop me from loving my first Grasshopper literally to pieces.

From my experience, the important mods for a Clod are the steering and shocks. The stock ladder bar suspension actually flexes pretty well, as soon as you get those steering links out of the way and give it some travel. 2 wheel steering is great for the stock wheelbase, but if you stretch it out to 12-13 inches you'll probably want a steering servo at each end, just to keep it from having the turning circle of a cruise ship (or a Hotshot).

By the way, if you want to see what it's like with 2 wheel steering without buying anything, you can disconnect the rear steering link and "lock" the rear hubs by removing the washers under the kingpins (circled below) and then tightening down the kingpins good and tight. It's not a permanent setup, but it lets you try out front-steer-only for free.

1955662683_ScreenShot2021-01-27at8_54_27AM.png.b2465f2a6789e411e0457eda5ecea5dc.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markbt73 said:

.....By the way, if you want to see what it's like with 2 wheel steering without buying anything, you can disconnect the rear steering link and "lock" the rear hubs by removing the washers under the kingpins (circled below) and then tightening down the kingpins good and tight. It's not a permanent setup, but it lets you try out front-steer-only for free.

1955662683_ScreenShot2021-01-27at8_54_27AM.png.b2465f2a6789e411e0457eda5ecea5dc.png

This works pretty well - at least whilst you make up your mind. When I did Clod Truck Pulling (WAY back when!!), we would do this trick to LIMIT Front Steering.... To keep from driving off of the narrow Track!! 😜

THERE'S a part of the Hobby, that if it came back (in the U.S.), I'd surely compete again! 😎😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, markbt73 said:

This is the road I started down,  sort of...

I bought a vintage Clod, stock vintage.  MSC, silver cans, terrible weak servo on stock steering, and stock shocks.  It even came with what I think are slipping axles.  Wow...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kwkenuf said:

This is the road I started down,  sort of...

I bought a vintage Clod, stock vintage.  MSC, silver cans, terrible weak servo on stock steering, and stock shocks.  It even came with what I think are slipping axles.  Wow...

............ Maybe that's pushing the experience just a bit too far. 😖  She will definitely FEEL like a Classic Clodbuster - but you might want to spend a couple of bux on one of the plentiful Evilbay 20kg Servos. 

Wouldn't be a waste, because if you're ready to move to Servo on Axle, that Servo can directly be repurposed!! 😊

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

............ Maybe that's pushing the experience just a bit too far. 😖  She will definitely FEEL like a Classic Clodbuster - but you might want to spend a couple of bux on one of the plentiful Evilbay 20kg Servos. 

Wouldn't be a waste, because if you're ready to move to Servo on Axle, that Servo can directly be repurposed!! 😊

Jump right in without looking closely, right?! 

The servo was the first attempt at making it better... didnt do as good as I was hoping.  It's still as vague as impeachment grounds.  

Shortly after that I put in an 880 esc to power it.  That's when I learned that what I thought was the msc not performing that great, might actually be issues within the axles.  And then life happened, and the ex wife decided to turn in a... well, just use your imagination.

So, I haven't had time money to mess with it.  But that's changing, and threads like this remind me of why I also bought a black edition to go with the old one.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:27 PM, Carmine A said:

This works pretty well - at least whilst you make up your mind. When I did Clod Truck Pulling (WAY back when!!), we would do this trick to LIMIT Front Steering.... To keep from driving off of the narrow Track!! 😜

THERE'S a part of the Hobby, that if it came back (in the U.S.), I'd surely compete again! 😎😉

Now that I'm building up a fleet of monsters, I'm considering adding a Truck Pulling class to my solo Monster Truck Challenge to keep me occupied until the world has been decovidinated and we're allowed out again :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mad Ax said:

Now that I'm building up a fleet of monsters, I'm considering adding a Truck Pulling class to my solo Monster Truck Challenge to keep me occupied until the world has been decovidinated and we're allowed out again :)

What are you pulling?

Standing start on loose gravel. I had to run to catch them up. 

Bear in mind, that the Clodbuster is unstoppable and will pull anything..

Thought about taking the middle axle out and fitting it directly to the go kart. Lol..

Not sure one axle would pull the kart though..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

What are you pulling?

Anything I can find.  Actually what I'd like to pull is a dedicated pulling sled, but that means making one from scratch, then digging up the flowerbed to run it in :D

Somewhere around there is a video of me being towed around on a kid's trike by a 14.4v Clod.  I tried to find it last year but I couldn't, I think it was hosted here when video hosting was still a thing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I never thought of that. I guess whilst I'm Lone Wolfing it down here in the Desert 🏜, I could set up a self Competition!! 😜 

I looked at Pulling Sleds... $250-400!!! So making one might be my option too. 

• Like 1

OK - It arrived yesterday - so I’m just waiting for my bearing kit to arrive and I can get cracking!

E66B9712-B886-4242-819D-A357B15E874C.thumb.jpeg.63ac55033b956f396a3434c364cf3f10.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@paullyjay CONGRATULATIONS!!! The FUN begins now. I'm actually a bit jealous, as I won't see mine until next Month. 

POST LOTS OF PICTURES!  Let's share the process, and ask as many questions as you want!! 😉

My super clod turned up too. I’ve got a bit of a heavy week at work coming up and I’m saving unpacking it as a treat for getting through it.😩

106B4C3A-1E76-4EFA-8677-8B47086CA14D.jpeg

• Like 2

Hopefully picking mine up this week too :D believe it or not it will be my first ever stock Clod Buster :o 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 4:33 PM, Carmine A said:

@paullyjay CONGRATULATIONS!!! The FUN begins now. I'm actually a bit jealous, as I won't see mine until next Month. 

POST LOTS OF PICTURES!  Let's share the process, and ask as many questions as you want!! 😉

Looks like there are going to be a whole bunch of clod builds over the next few weeks... Hopefully you’ll get yours soon too!

My bearings have arrived - Game on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1