Fyksen

The 2021 TT02-R build - Build in progress..

So, I played the eBay app on my tablet. And suddenly I orderd a TT02-R kit, whoopps...  and I have a winter/spring project suddenly

spacer.png

After some thinking of what I bought, I have googled alot and read alot about what stuff and parts to put into the car. Here is some ideas so far

• I want to use alot of alu parts and metal parts,  Actually considering the Yeah Racing kit, but not sure if I need it 
  • I AM going to use a brushless motor. Not sure of brand yet
  • LiPo battery will be used
  • It will get a 4 channel absima receiver
  • Lights will be installed, hence the 4 channel receiver
  • Body and wheels will be decided later

Tamiya´s website for the kit

Update to come when the kit arrives (from HongKong) and I will unbox it and post some photos of contents and the start up of the build

• Like 5

SAHWEET!! 😁  Looking forward to seeing it. I was thinking about getting the TT-02SR (IF they don't sell out by the time I finally get my money!!) 

The R and SR are fairly close in Spec... I think the SR just adds DCJs in Front, Aluminum Shocks, and a Ball Raced Steering Bellcrank (Bridge??). 

If not, I'll be building a R along with you. 😉

..... My mistake!! The R has Aluminum Shocks and the SR has Plastic. 😖 The SR does have Sealed Gear Diffs. 

Pound for pound both are well upgraded!!

Well, I figured that the R was the right kit for me price and spec wise.

Also, I see that people use stainless hex screw for their builds, Is this something that is worth spending some money on?

Now its a waiting game for the kit to arrive, which leaves me and and my son time to complete our TT01E´s.. Picture will be posted soon in another post..

• Like 1

The R is a fantastic Kit! SO much needs to be done to a stock TT-02, and most of that is included in the R and SR. 

The Stainless Steel Screw Kits are good - because they ELIMINATE all those irritating, easy to strip, JIS Phillips Head Screws!!! ... And they don't RUST. 😉 

It's a small pain, but less money, to go to Monsterbolts on EBay. You'll need to get each Screw type individually by size, but you can buy them in packs from 5 to 100! (So if you wanted to replace any on your TT01s) 

Total cost is about the same or less - but you'll end up with extras - AND they're Industrial Quality! Some People have mentioned that they've gotten some of those Screw Kits, and some stripped or BROKE. Some think they're great. 

It's of course your choice. I've just always had great luck with Monsterbolts. I'm in Arizona, so I used the Zinc Coated Screws, which are even less. But Stainless isn't much more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carmine A said:

The R is a fantastic Kit! SO much needs to be done to a stock TT-02, and most of that is included in the R and SR. 

The Stainless Steel Screw Kits are good - because they ELIMINATE all those irritating, easy to strip, JIS Phillips Head Screws!!! ... And they don't RUST. 😉 

It's a small pain, but less money, to go to Monsterbolts on EBay. You'll need to get each Screw type individually by size, but you can buy them in packs from 5 to 100! (So if you wanted to replace any on your TT01s) 

Total cost is about the same or less - but you'll end up with extras - AND they're Industrial Quality! Some People have mentioned that they've gotten some of those Screw Kits, and some stripped or BROKE. Some think they're great. 

It's of course your choice. I've just always had great luck with Monsterbolts. I'm in Arizona, so I used the Zinc Coated Screws, which are even less. But Stainless isn't much more.

I will check it out for sure. Im very aware of the Philips and Pozi head´s great benefits compared to the old flat head, but when compared to hex og torx they dont just have any chance.

This is something that I see every day at work (electrician) when installing and mounting compoments in houses etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carmine A said:

..... My mistake!! The R has Aluminum Shocks and the SR has Plastic. 😖 The SR does have Sealed Gear Diffs. 

Pound for pound both are well upgraded!!

S and SR also have a TRF based suspension as far as I know. 

39 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

I did not notice that. Thanks for pointing put

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

It does, but the SR cut a few dollars with full Plastic Steering Gear (although much tighter than standard, with clever Bushings in the Bridge). It also got Plastic CVAs instead of Aluminum.... 

The S, SR and R are all high Spec TT-02s!! They each just have different strengths and weaknesses - catering to WHICH Upgrades are more important to the Buyer. 😉

Really want to get one of these as my next kit. Only ones I can find are on ebay for $150 shipped from Hong Kong. Not sure if they are legit or not. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:35 PM, Carmine A said:

The R and SR are fairly close in Spec... I think the SR just adds DCJs in Front, Aluminum Shocks, and a Ball Raced Steering Bellcrank (Bridge??). 

As mentioned the SR has the TRF derived suspension as used in the S, but over the S it has carbon reinforced suspension arms and knuckles, the 54649 front diff lock and adjustable rear toe-in.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:41 PM, Carmine A said:

..... My mistake!! The R has Aluminum Shocks and the SR has Plastic. 😖

The R has plastic shocks too, just grey rather than the usual black.

As well as the R, S and SR there's also the RR, which is an upgraded version of the R with the same Hop-ups plus the hard blue chassis, sealed diffs and adjustable upper arms.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Truck Norris said:

As mentioned the SR has the TRF derived suspension as used in the S, but over the S it has carbon reinforced suspension arms and knuckles, the 54649 front diff lock and adjustable rear toe-in.

The R has plastic shocks too, just grey rather than the usual black.

As well as the R, S and SR there's also the RR, which is an upgraded version of the R with the same Hop-ups plus the hard blue chassis, sealed diffs and adjustable upper arms.

I wish those Blue Hard Chassis were still available. I used one in my upgraded standard TT-02, and there IS a difference. 

...... I put so much into that Car, I could have bought the RR! 😜😖

9 hours ago, Willsls1 said:

Really want to get one of these as my next kit. Only ones I can find are on ebay for $150 shipped from Hong Kong. Not sure if they are legit or not. 

Got my kit from ebay from hongkong, about $190 with shipping, VAT and that crap..

I guess its better somehow to buy from Hongkong than China.. Since they have been "british" for some years. PS, dont want to start some discussion now about China vs Hongkong :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fyksen said:

Got my kit from ebay from hongkong, about $190 with shipping, VAT and that crap..

I guess its better somehow to buy from Hongkong than China.. Since they have been "british" for some years. PS, dont want to start some discussion now about China vs Hongkong :D

Ok well thats good to hear then. I'm going to order it right now! 

Thanks bro. 

• Like 1

Question that need some suggestions.

I want a brushless motor in this car, and I have seen ALOT of different sets. A combo kit with a matched ESC should be good enough for this build. I dont require alot of fancy setup features and stuff like that. 
After looking on rcmart.com I have found these two sets that seems ok

1: Hobbywing Quicrun
2: SkyRc Cheetah

Is 10.5T a good choice or should I go for something else.

Im open for tips and opinions 

• Like 1

A Hobbywing 10.5 or 13.5 would be a great setup for it.... 

I have no experience with SkyRC Brushless Systems, so I don't have a say there.

The kit has arrived and here is a sort of unboxing. More pictures will be posted

The box:

001(10).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

001(9).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

The parts:

001(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

The book:

001.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

When looking at the parts bag I saw the aluminum parts and there is not that many of them. But full bearings, metal drive shaft, motor mount and different stuff. I will post some pictures when I open and sort parts for the different stages.

So, next up is to decide on motor/esc and what other hop-ups to invest in.

• Like 1

Nice bit of Kit! 😎  I'd get adjustable Upper Arms, unless of course the Kit comes with them. And a good set of Aluminium Shocks. Go from there!! 

Still think a 13.5T Brushless is the best place to start.

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Nice bit of Kit! 😎  I'd get adjustable Upper Arms, unless of course the Kit comes with them. And a good set of Aluminium Shocks. Go from there!! 

Still think a 13.5T Brushless is the best place to start.

And with a 13.5T motor, the torque will be abit higher than a 10.5T if i understands this correctly?

• Like 1

Just a thing. Does HPI body shells fit the TT02 or will there be problems? 

On the HPI website they say this: 1/10Touring Car Size 200mm/Use offset wheels for 190mm width chassis 

In my head that should fit but if anyone have some expreience with this?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fyksen said:

Just a thing. Does HPI body shells fit the TT02 or will there be problems? 

On the HPI website they say this: 1/10Touring Car Size 200mm/Use offset wheels for 190mm width chassis 

In my head that should fit but if anyone have some expreience with this?

Yes a HPI shell “should” fit. Touring Cars are all pretty standard when it comes to wheelbase, but I would still measure where to cut the arches against the completed chassis. But as it says you will want either wide hex’s and Tube Nuts, or 9mm offset wheels probably

Heres a HPI Mustang shell that I have on a TL01 (same wheelbase as TT02)

2BFADB8D-C910-420F-95B3-C78711F1CFEE

This one has wide hex’s and tube nuts to fill the guards

• Like 4

Superb, this was the confirmation I needed. Then I can start ordering shell and wheels soon

• Like 2

OK, now the details for the body has been decided. A phrase from a movie will give a hint of what the car will look like

"I owe you a 10 second car"

And there will be different wheels and I cant find the Bomex style body so I will buy one that looks close enough. The paint job and decals will be as it should

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fyksen said:

OK, now the details for the body has been decided. A phrase from a movie will give a hint of what the car will look like

"I owe you a 10 second car"

Gen 4 Supra, NICE!! I had the real one, back in the day.... 

That and my Buick Grand National were my two biggest regrets for selling. 😭😭