Fyksen

The 2021 TT02-R build - Build in progress..

This is a 200mm HPI Ford GT shell that I am working on fitting to a TT02. This is just a first rough cut and test fit, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I used the standard kit axles on the front and a set of the longer axles (50808) on the rear

8mm Hex / 3mm offset 26mm rims on the front

11mm Hex / 6mm offset 26mm rims on the back

The chassis is built in standard 257mm length and standard 'Low' clearance configuration 

Hope the info is useful, enjoy your build :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

2BFADB8D-C910-420F-95B3-C78711F1CFEE

This one has wide hex’s and tube nuts to fill the guards

That shell's a beauty :wub:

S'cuse the probably dumb question, and the minor thread-jack, but what's a tube nut and what's the application in this scenario?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juhunio said:

That shell's a beauty :wub:

S'cuse the probably dumb question, and the minor thread-jack, but what's a tube nut and what's the application in this scenario?

To use as wheel nuts, let’s you use a wide hex without needing longer axles, also called barrel nuts

49858735027_91e0843e4b_k.jpg

Ive used them on my Novafox with 0 offset 2.2 wheels, as well as on this TL01 Mustang (before and after resultcan be seen in my project thread in “general” section)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for inputs and suggestions, I appreciate it alot!

When it comes to the body, its a nut to crack for me. I have two good candidates now and one thats a reserve:

The two candidates is:
- HPI Supra Aero body, this I like because of the allround looks and the parts that follows the kit. 
Pandora Supra, the kit with Bomex style front, but the rear bumper looks kinda akward and it has got less options than the HPI kit

The reserve is, Tamiya Toyota Supra Racing (A80) body. Its a reserve because It don´t have the "propper" styling

Hard to choose and I got time to think and make up my mind. But if anyone has inputs or experience with these manufaturers, please let me know your thoughts

• Like 1

HPI and Tamiya for quality and detail you can’t go wrong, not sure on the other one you listed (although it looks good in the link)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

To use as wheel nuts, let’s you use a wide hex without needing longer axles, also called barrel nuts

49858735027_91e0843e4b_k.jpg

Ive used them on my Novafox with 0 offset 2.2 wheels, as well as on this TL01 Mustang (before and after resultcan be seen in my project thread in “general” section)

I was wondering myself!  OK, we've used those for years on Crawlers... 

Never thought about them on On-Road Cars, but they obviously work! Might just solve a problem I've had with rear fitment on a 911 GT3. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Fyksen said:

Thank you for inputs and suggestions, I appreciate it alot!

When it comes to the body, its a nut to crack for me. I have two good candidates now and one thats a reserve:

The two candidates is:
- HPI Supra Aero body, this I like because of the allround looks and the parts that follows the kit. 
Pandora Supra, the kit with Bomex style front, but the rear bumper looks kinda akward and it has got less options than the HPI kit

The reserve is, Tamiya Toyota Supra Racing (A80) body. Its a reserve because It don´t have the "propper" styling

I agree with @mtbkym01 - HPI and Tamiya have known quality and fit. The Pandora looks cool, in a "Street Stance" sort of way.... But doesn't quite have the proppper look of the others. Might be the photo, but it looks "plasticey". In the end, it's always what appeals to you more. 😉

10 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I was wondering myself!  OK, we've used those for years on Crawlers... 

Never thought about them on On-Road Cars, but they obviously work! Might just solve a problem I've had with rear fitment on a 911 GT3. Thanks!

Another thing with the barrel/tube nuts, you may have to drill out the hole on the hex a bit to enable the tube part to fit inside it

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 10:11 PM, Fyksen said:

Question that need some suggestions.

I want a brushless motor in this car, and I have seen ALOT of different sets. A combo kit with a matched ESC should be good enough for this build. I dont require alot of fancy setup features and stuff like that. 
After looking on rcmart.com I have found these two sets that seems ok

1: Hobbywing Quicrun
2: SkyRc Cheetah

Is 10.5T a good choice or should I go for something else.

Im open for tips and opinions 

Sorry a little late to the party.

I have a SkyRC Cheetah 13.5T setup in my TT02B, and it's been great so far. Fairly easy to set up, and the esc cables plug right into the motor. I'd suppose a 10.5T setup would be almost too fast for a TT02R, but it really depends on your experience, and how/where you want to run it. It gets my recommendation.

I also have a few Hobbywing sets, including that very same set you mentioned, and it's very powerful. 

Honestly you can't really go wrong with either one, but bear in mind that the SkyRC set comes with a program card, while the Quickrun comes with a beefier esc, but there's no wrong choice between the two.

Good luck on your build!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I agree with @mtbkym01 - HPI and Tamiya have known quality and fit. The Pandora looks cool, in a "Street Stance" sort of way.... But doesn't quite have the proppper look of the others. Might be the photo, but it looks "plasticey". In the end, it's always what appeals to you more. 😉

And I agree with you. It looks cool, but thats it. After seeing some videos on youtube I´ve got the impression that you say. I think the winner will be the HPI body if I can find a store that sells it. Looks like its hard to get

• Like 1

After looking and searching and abusing google to find someone that sells the HPI body, I have decided that it will not be a Fast and Furious Supra body on this car. 
I have emailed alot of stores and no one have it in store, not even Ebay or rcMart.

The reason for this is simple, the Pandora body looks nice in the front but the rear looks so WRONG and also reading reviews about the Pandora bodies and when compared to other brands I will not use them. 

So, back to planing for the bodywork for the car

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Matty36 said:

Im aware of that body. Im looking for a styled FnF look body. That Pandora body is the closest to what I wanted but as I mentioned the back looks awful and wrong. 

On 2/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, Matty36 said:

...... And someone BOUGHT it already! 😖  I'm having very similar problems, but with 7 different Tamiya Kits. 

They are selling OUT left and right!! 😞 I'm forced to wait - because until my Inheritance comes in, I'm as BROKE as I have been since 2014.....

And now we´r back on plan. Got a HPI Supra body of ebay! 

So now its a waiting game for hop-ups, electronics and bodyshell

Stuff have arrived, photos will be added later today!

Still some things thats delayed by either covid limitations on shipping or beeing sent with donkey from asia..

Alright, this is what´s arrived so far

Paint

001(13).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Wheels

001(14).JPG

Body

001(12).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Decals

001(11).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

More parts will arrive soon..

• Like 4

It has begun!

Trimmed and masked of the body, not quite Tamiya quality on the shell, some minor flaws and the details are abit rough. But the maskins seals were great!

001(19).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b
001(18).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

And the body has received three light coats and one medium/heavy coat of PS61 Metallic Orange and later tonight two coats of PS41 Bright Silver and finished with black

001(15).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Also my son "just had to" start building the car too... hard to say no. 

001(17).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b
001(16).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Still waiting for some hop ups that will arrive mid next week. Mail service is on easter vacation..

• Like 3

Update...

Body is painted. It got a total of four layers of orange metallic, two bright silver coats and two black coats. I think the end result is great! There is good depth in the color and the black dont shine through.

001(25).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Also just had to apply some stickers around the windows to hide some paint errors. The front window sticker tore in two.. FxxK!!!! But as i said to my son that was sitting next to me, no use in getting angry, more stuff will break then. We also managed to get the sticker for the window in place without looking too bad. The quality of the stickers were so so in my opinion. Felt abit hard and not as flexible as Tamiya´s stickers..

001(24).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b
001(23).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Next up is the body art.. Need some time alone and coffe to do that 

• Like 2

Some  more bodu work done tonight. Im very pleased with the quality of the bodyart stickers, they were awsome and the detail is nice! 

001(29).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b
001(28).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Just had to put the rims into the wheel arches to have a look...

001(27).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b
001(26).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Next up is head lights and rear lights. Have to decide if I shall tint the rear lights abit and how to make the headlight looks nice

Any ideas or comments are appreciated

• Like 4

More parts arrived after been stuck at the import center for the mail service during easter holiday..

IMG_2294.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
IMG_2293.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
001(34).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b
001(32).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Also continued alittle bit with the build

001(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

More progress will be posted soon

• Like 3

GOOD Job on the Body!! Seriously, that looks GREAT! 👋👋👋👋👋👋👋💯

15 hours ago, Carmine A said:

GOOD Job on the Body!! Seriously, that looks GREAT! 👋👋👋👋👋👋👋💯

Thanks! The only thing bad are the window stickers! They were terrible, acted like a dust magnet and were very stiff, hence the torn front window sticker.

• Like 1