Sign in to follow this  
scott1979

Thunder shot

Hi All,

My old thunder shot.  From my very poor memory i have a mate who had the version up?  And i think i must of had some pieces from him and started to add them on to it...So not sure its a true thunder shot any more.

I have tried get it going (had to use a different control with the crystal from the l in it) and it wont go....everything work but it struggles, hopefully you can view the video?

https://youtu.be/xTBde-9QNwA

Looks like the mechanical speed controller is dirty. Strip it down and give it a good clean with contact cleaner. 

Yeah, as @Snakehands said.

Failing that, the silver can may be worn out. If it still doesn't work after cleaning the copper contacts on the speed control you could try temporarily plugging in a different motor to see if that spins up. (don't even bother bolting it into the buggy, just plug it into the motor leads off the speed control and hold it)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, as @Snakehands said.

Failing that, the silver can may be worn out. If it still doesn't work after cleaning the copper contacts on the speed control you could try temporarily plugging in a different motor to see if that spins up. (don't even bother bolting it into the buggy, just plug it into the motor leads off the speed control and hold it)

I actually did that and the motor behave the same.  Ill try and clean in up

2 hours ago, Snakehands said:

Looks like the mechanical speed controller is dirty. Strip it down and give it a good clean with contact cleaner. 

Assume contact cleaner = WD 40 or something like that?

You can buy Tamiya switch lube to help electrical contact on the MSC, and reduce wear on the wiper arm and contacts. 

• Thanks 1