Andyfish2000

Help on classic "Hot" motors please

I wanted to hear any views as to how these motors compare to say the Tamiya stock, torque tuned and sport tuned motors please?  Are any worth running or best left as a display (which I like incidentally)?  I did have a couple serviced many years ago but never then used.  Thanks all.

hot motors Jan 2021.JPG

The Tamiyas are between 27 and 23 turns with no (or limited) advance. The vintage motors will range from 27 turns with some advance to hotter "modified" winds with adjustable timing.

The Tamiya motors don't have the greatest magnets in the world but they you can get them brand new and they will always be in good condition.

The vintage motors will have lost a lot from the magnets and even if they were serviced you can't be sure how good the brushes and comms are after 30+ years.

I'd keep the vintage motors for display because for running purposes there are plenty of inexpensive sealed can motors out there that would match one of those vintage motors for zero risk. Something like the HPI Firebolt 15 for example.

Thanks Sosidge, that's really useful, and it looks like I'll be able to use your suggested motor with my quickrun 1060 ESCs and 2S lipos.  Brilliant.

Seems to be a lot of mixed feelings around the internet about the HPI Firebolt 15.  Anyone got any recent running experience comparing to Sport and torque tuned please?

Personally I’d run the vintage motors especially as brushes are easily available. The commutators will be fine especially compared to the cheap sealed can new motors. If anything pop out the old bronze bush bearings and fit ball raced versions.  Magnets can be re-magnetised. Remember that over heating will reduce the magnetic flux.  So keep them cool where possible ☺️

• Like 1

HI , the Firebolt 15t will be a good deal quicker than the Sports tuned and a lot quicker than the Torque Tuned. They pair well with the Quicrun 1060 ESC.  Some nice vintage motors you have there, the Parma Cyclones are great, I have two, and the LRP are excellent. I don't know what winds they are but as a FYI, my Quicrun 1060 is fine with a 17turn modified Team Orion motor but it will not run a Parma Cyclone 14turn.

My experience of the fire bolt 15t was poor, initially seemed better than my go-to motor of choice superstock bz but after a few runs it lost its torque and was no better than a stock 540, after this happened a couple of times I never bought one again, you get what you pay for....and firebolts are not that good at all

• Like 1