Exit13

Is it over for this sonic fighter?

More like has it been over for the sonic fighter? Apparently this is the way I put it down 30 years ago. I knew I broke the chassis I guess I threw it out. Where the body is? I have no idea. This is all that’s left except for a few smalls like body mounts and dog bones maybe I have some front and a arms I’d really have to match it up with the book because I have parts from frogs to Audi Quattros to numerous grasshopper parts lunch box you name it we probably had 15 cars at one point. I searchedHigh and low for similar models that share this chassis only to come up with a striker which seems to be just as obscure as the sonic fighter so I ask is it lights out for this model? Or maybe I can pass these parts on to someone who has a sonic fighter that needs stock. Maybe they’ll re re the sonic fighter and I’ll be able to put this thing back to its former glory? let the pictures and the description.  what are you guys think?

G6BnWP0.jpg

iu0rq3p.jpg

VItuXTC.jpg

Treat it as a long-term project. Strip it right down and clean everything. Print out the manual and do an inventory of parts. Then just look at eBay for parts from time to time. You'll feel better about it when it's all tidy in a box and it will feel like the journey has started. 

There is a Sonic Fighter restoration project on ebay at the moment which is more complete than what you have - might be worth a look.

Nice examples seem to fetch good money these days - it wasn't that long ago when you couldn't give them away.

• Like 1

I think the last time I sold a brand new chassis a few years ago it went for £65 approx. Unless it holds strong memories I'd probably sell the parts and wait for a rere if it ever happens. With today's prices if a chassis reappears at some point it would be upwards of £100 now I'd guess, not worth it really.

In the end I also sold my two restored sonic fighters, it was a tough decision

If that was mine I'd get a carbon chassis plate made up and bolt the front and rear parts you have to that, slap a repro bodyshell on it, fit a hot brushed motor and a LiPo and have a fun speedy basher buggy. :) 

I can’t give up on the sonic. It may not be the best car but it was mine. The vintage Tamiya’s collection from my youth bring me so much joy and this one is going to be one day among those ranks. So as soon as I started looking check out  what I won on eBay for $38.00USD (plus shipping $9.00)!!!!

dhY1mxk.jpg

Nic3kBn.jpg

I590RLK.jpg

And it’s new old stock!!!!! 
I also picked up these because I needed one of the axles. Now I have some spares for the falcon too 

gqCHL5B.jpg

• Like 4

this is as far as I can get until some Parts trees arrive. 
J3iDzWV.jpg

the frog shocks are way too tall for the front of this 

2PqgU48.jpg

• Like 2

eKXbd8e.jpg
i knew that shocks we going to be a problem. Both front were broken and I could tell because the little yellow broken parts were still attached to the arms. Worse is I only have one (half). So on the hunt for front shocks. Any ideas folks. Maybe I can bit after market shocks. But not sure what size. I’m guess around 7 cm?

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

This is taking shape nicely .

Thanks. I’m amazed at how well it went together and even more Amazed that I was able to find and win the auction!  What are the chances that it would be on eBay in the next state over!!?!  Now all I need it a sonic body. Something tells me the body is going to take some time...I’d also be open for a striker body if anyone has one?

Vintage trees have arrived and supplied me with much needed parts. 
 Bn6s8wb.jpg

wow. That felt good

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, KEV THE REV said:

Nice . I've been on the look out for a shell for you , but so far no luck

I’ve got something body-wise in the works that might just work

more trees have arrived  

DHJITtJ.jpg

aside from shocks (and body) this thing might just run again 

dCq595d.jpg

Efu0rDk.jpg

first run in 30 plus years!!!!. Who knew this thing would ever run again after the first post. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Team CRP do a metal brace to go on the front of these to strengthen the chassis , glad you got her back on the road !

This is great to see!! Like you said, especially considering what you started with :D

It's got a new lease on life!

31 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

This is great to see!! Like you said, especially considering what you started with :D

It's got a new lease on life!

Right!  I can't believe there are still parts out there for this somewhat obscure model.  Wait until you see the body(ies) I have coming.  No expense was spared!  Not worth is was mentioned up above and that couldn't be closer to the truth, especially for a car that can only be lightly run due to the already fragile/factory flaw'ed chassis.  But sometimes you have to do what you have to do to be happy.  Now to pick a color - box art or something different?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

Right!  I can't believe there are still parts out there for this somewhat obscure model.  Wait until you see the body(ies) I have coming.  No expense was spared!  Not worth is was mentioned up above and that couldn't be closer to the truth, especially for a car that can only be lightly run due to the already fragile/factory flaw'ed chassis.  But sometimes you have to do what you have to do to be happy.  Now to pick a color - box art or something different?  

Could do an FX10 livery since the tub is white, but you'd have to repaint the wing which looks to be in good shape. Here are some more color and body ideas for you (I don't even own one but I could look at these pics all day long... maybe that means I SHOULD own one??):

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Could do an FX10 livery since the tub is white, but you'd have to repaint the wing which looks to be in good shape. Here are some more color and body ideas for you (I don't even own one but I could look at these pics all day long... maybe that means I SHOULD own one??):

Oh yeah. I know that thread. I’ll be posting up in there for sure once all my bodies come. I have a futaba body on the way as well as a few others. No expense was spared to bring this car back to life. Well maybe the worn out tires but since those are original they will stay for now. Plus I’ll be running it lightly. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dadio said:

Team CRP do a metal brace to go on the front of these to strengthen the chassis , glad you got her back on the road !

I have that coming too!!

• Like 1

Sonic got its front shocks all sorted. Shout out to Kev!!

Ad66N8o.jpg
now we wait for the first body. I wonder which one will hit first?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 3:37 AM, Dadio said:

This!!

qc4bv8Q.jpg

• Like 1

ITACG5o.jpg

qnWNoMR.jpg

mnyK046.jpg

4n5nWcC.jpg

it’s all good. Now I just wait for a body and ponder colors. 

• Like 3