Sign in to follow this  
Nikko85

Introduction

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself here. 35 years old, used to play with RC cars as a kid. My brother had the hobby grade stuff, but I had the Nikkos. As lock down started I thought I'd try and find my old cherished RC on Ebay (A 1997 Nikko Spider 3) and that sent me on a rabbit hole of vintage RCs from the era.

I've used these forums for lots of searches, so thought I'd contribute as the collection has grown. I'm not really into the more modern stuff - and when I was racing NiCds where the height of tech. 

What I find really interesting with Nikkos is trying to work out which model is which, which parts are interchangeable, particularly when it comes to Tandy/Radioshack. Hopefully I can post some pictures that someone will find interesting.

I'll post some more photos and reviews soon, but I've managed to pick up a Turbo Panther, Mighty Max, F10, Turbo Dasher, Ford Ranger 4x4, Gambler, Black Fox and a Road Express 1/24 18 wheeler. Jeez, I didn't think it was so many, but that's lockdown for you.

I've got a few questions:

Is it better to make a larger thread with the collection, or a thread for each car with the review (particularly if a thread doesn't exist). I don't want to spam a new-to-me forum with loads of threads, but it can be useful to keep a thread about a rarer car separate.

I've also picked up a cheap version of a QD clod (so a budget version of a budget version) which I want to upgrade to modern(ish) proportional stuff. Is there a place in the forum for very green questions about electrics, motors etc?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

• Like 1

Sidebar...

My old roommate has Nikko stereo equipment inherited from his father.  Old school analog stuff. It’s very nice and sounds great...

Thought I'd start with this. Classic Nikko and my favourite RC car.

Mostly intact, this is a later version where the steering can be controlled without the motor going.

Cleaned it all out, foil cleaned the metal bits and it runs great.

16118641872511790581284162686255.jpg