Sign in to follow this  
Jorgen

Spraypainting for the first time?

Hi all,

I have just finnished my first car (Grasshopper)and have bought the right paints.

Being new to this im wondering, when I paint the car with the TS-26 white on the white body isnt it hard to see if its properly covered?

Also, is there a limit to how low the temperature can be to spraypaint? I dont a the possibility to paint inside and its 2 degrees C here now (35 F)

Thanks!

/Jorgen

Many people will probably paint in all weather, but if you’re precious about the finish and it longevity, you’l need to paint on a warmer and dry day, low humidity. If you’re spraying in a humid atmosphere, some of that moisture will be included with your coat  and can and will have an adverse effect to the paint adhesion. The temperature will affect 1. The viscosity of the paint and 2. The drying times between coats. If you do decide to paint, make sure your paint is left out in a warm room for several hours first and shake it really really well. It could have been stored for years before you get hold of it.  This should help the paint achieve the right viscosity for spraying, then if you’re out side, keep it brief and come in for the drying in the warmth,

With regards to your other questions, I tend to use a primer before any colour coats, so you could use a very light grey fine primer.  Though if you decide to go without primer it’s not that hard in good light to see where your coats are going. 

Make sure you do a light key with very fine wet’n’dry, this will take the shine off which also helps spot where your paint is going. Also clean it with a degreaser/detergent to remove the mould release agents and dry thoroughly before you start, the cleaning is really important. I tend to do at least 3 coats.. 1 tamiya can has never been enough in my experience.. though others seem to make it last! De nib it between coats with a polishing sponge, textured specially for paining models and again, keep it washed after any sanding to keep dust off. Let us know how you get on!

• Like 2

Tamiya light grey primer, lightly done would give you more clarity if done first and give a nice key to your white coat

• Like 1

Painting outside in the cold has been fine for me.

I do my coat and let it sit for 5min or so to get rid of the smell. Then I bring it inside and let it dry.  It might make a difference in the finish, but I’m satisfied with my results.

My main issue is I’ve lost all my skill at using Tamiya putty and a knife.  That’s another topic though...

For my current project, I used Tamiya pink primer two coats.  Then Tamiya matte black two coats.  Then Tamiya metallic black two coats.  After hand painting some details, I’ll cover the whole thing with 2 coats of clear pearl.

Warm soapy bath between each coat. Light wet sand (3000 grit) after first coats of a color.

I’m at the detailing stage now.  I highly recommend Tamiya masking tape for curves.

Terry

Whatever else you do, do not cheap out on masking tape.

Good masking tape can be the difference between a paint lines that look like they were free-handed by a tattoo artist suffering from neuro-muscular deterioration and clean, laser-straight paint lines.

Not all masking tape is created equal.

• Like 2

Well everything worked out great and I was surprised how good the reslut got. Very shiny and smoot. It helped out a lot that I could put a screw in the hole in the roof to better hold the body during painting.

Unfortunately I messed up big time during the painting of the black bars :( a real downer since I really enjoyed the spraypainting.

I should have listened to the advice from Mrowka about the masking tape. When I peeled it of the black was all over the place.

I used the wifes nailpolishremover (without acetone) and got most of it off, but the white that I sprayed also went away. 

Should I try to remove all color of the body? Im thinking if I try to respray it as it is now the will be a difference were the body is bare. A well as the black smudge will be visible through?

Could it be a good idea to get some Tamiya primer in grey and respray it first and can this be done over a painted body or only on a unpainted one?

Any help appreciated

What would you guys suggest doing to restore it?

20210302_232822.jpg

20210302_232837.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I'd leave it for a couple of days for everything to set hard. Then I'd wet-sand the affected area up to the nearest convenient break-line (the edge of the roof, bottom of the roll bar etc.) Go for shape and smoothness, but keep going until all the black has gone..

When it all looks the right shape and nice and crisp, mask the break-line and sand right up to it with your wet sanding paper folded in half to give an abrasive edge. Be gentle, and careful not to spoil the edge of the tape.

Then wash everything, mask off the body at the break-lines with Tamiya tape for curves (be careful where tape overlaps, it's quite thick and can leave a gap. Don't stretch the tape too much when you apply it), then give it a light coating of primer and then the colour coat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1