Qed296

Applying original decals (tips & tricks required)

Morning folks,

I sat down with my original f1 body parts set last night and decided to start trimming the decals from the sheet.

I've cleaned the front wing with alcohol wipes and allowed to dry. The 1st decal is lacking any real stick, no effort required to remove it from the backing.....I'm worried now the sheet could be to old to adhere.

Any tips or tricks I could use should this be the case and I'm left with nothing more than just a pile of pretty pictures.

Thanks in advance.

20210130_083703.jpg

I position the sticker on the body using a little masking tape to tack it in the right place, usually just in one spot, but if the sticker is large a few small spots to stop it rotating. Then I peel back a few mm of  one edge, usually the short line if a rectangle, it’s easier to prevent any bubbles, cut this little pice off and work down the sticker. Then remove the masking tape and peel of the backing as I work down the sticker. They are always in exactly the right spot this way. 

Few things, some people have great success with the soap solution, I’ve never tried this or had a sticker shape position where I thought it would be better. I might give it a go though one day on a spare body, could be a revelation..

I’ve not yet tried using a heat gun to work a sticker down though watched a few videos of it working, another thing I’d like to try sometime.. The most curved body and sticker combination I had is the Avante, I didn’t need to do it on this and the stickers all went down perfectly. I’ve seen some stickers that have to form over domes or raised headlights and this looks the way to go.

Good luck, however you choose! Show us the results.

I realise now I’ve missed the point of your post soz..... regarding too old to adhere, you could clear coat over the top of them afterwards.. I do this on the hard bodies, not only does it protect them it will stop the edges from peeling and I think gives a more realistic thickness appearance, to be more like paint than a sticker. You’ll need a flexible lexan clear coat though, If you’re really concerned there are some makers of decal adhesive about, I’m sure the next poster will read your question properly and advise you on which is best! 

If the sticker will stay in place, try heating it with a hair dryer (or extremely carefully with a heat gun) to reactivate the adhesive. I’ve done this before with pretty good results, even on bodies and stickers that were already in place and lifting a bit. Just be gentle to not overheat them. I heat them up and give them a really good rub to get them nice

• Like 2

best using soapy water to clean before hand alcohol wipes some times leave a film behind.

Thanks for theinput folks.

Shells been cleaned ready and the front spoiler and rear the same.

Ill try the heat approach first, if they stick ill probably seal the edges to be sure