Markspark2

Plasma Edge, which one?

Hi, 

Quick question.. 

I'm looking to buy a price - friendly, decent, 4wd basher to go with my Hörnet. Is there a marked difference between the Plasma Edge 1 and 2? I know one is the Dt-02 chassis and the other is the tt-02... But its there a marked preformance, longevity difference? Is one chassis vastly superior to the other? 

Are there other differences? 

Thanks. 

I think you mean DF-02.

I don’t have a great deal of experience with the DF02 but in my opinion the TT-02B is a better car plus it’s easier to find parts for and upgrade. Both shaft driven so similar in that respect. I’m sure someone else can give you a more comprehensive answer though than I can however.

Thx for reply. 

Forgive my ignorance (as many here, I'm retiring to the hobby after 15yr gap).. But isn't the TT-02 more of a touring car chassis from the beginning? I'm thinking ground clearance. Though I have read that the Plasma Edge hasn't got great clearance either? Not really a great issue - but good to know. Plus, also if the TT is a touring car base then maybe I can buy road car shells later....? 

24 minutes ago, Markspark2 said:

But isn't the TT-02 more of a touring car chassis from the beginning? I'm thinking ground clearance. Though I have read that the Plasma Edge hasn't got great clearance either? Not really a great issue - but good to know.

I own neither and am far from an expert, but both cars were based around touring cars. The DF02 was based around the TT01 touring car and the TT02B is an offshoot of the TT02 touring car. The DF02 comes with the metal gears stock that are commonly swapped into the newer TT02B to enhance durability. On the other hand, lentner3 is correct in noting the TT02B is possibly the better car overall and, being current, would have better parts support.

Being an owner of a TT02B, I'd agree with the concensus and would like to add that I've found parts support for this chassis to be fantastic, probably partially due to the fact that the chassis is still being sold new by Tamiya to this day, and many parts for the TT02 cars work on the TT02B as well, which also helps a bunch. If you don't plan to run anything hotter than a Tamiya Sport Tuned, there is really no need to upgrade to metal differential gears. Just put ball bearings, a steel pinion gear, an aluminum steering set (the stock one is quite sloppy), and you're set.

If at some point you want to push more power through it, I'm sure I or the many helpful members on this forum would be more than happy to advise.

Overall they are extremely similar, but as an owner of both, if I were to pick one, it would be the TT-02B. The DF-02 has stronger diffs but the TT-02B has a stronger chassis tub. Swapping DF-02 diffs into your TT-02B is pretty easy. Swapping a TT-02B chassis tub into your DF-02? Not so much...

I’ve been experimenting with the TT-02B. 
I’ve managed to break it a couple of times but the parts are super easy to find and very cheap. 

Just re-built it tonight after snapping the chassis in two. 
I’ve sorted the steering by modding some parts from a TT-01 and added the full turnbuckle kit. 
I’ve hit 41mph so far. Aiming for 50+. 
These big wheels should help with stability and clearance. 

5C7AA94F-905A-4FC7-AEFE-CF4B674452A9.jpeg

F226D814-D755-486F-92C6-CD2011078594.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SupaGaz said:

I’ve been experimenting with the TT-02B. 
I’ve managed to break it a couple of times but the parts are super easy to find and very cheap. 

Just re-built it tonight after snapping the chassis in two. 
I’ve sorted the steering by modding some parts from a TT-01 and added the full turnbuckle kit. 
I’ve hit 41mph so far. Aiming for 50+. 
These big wheels should help with stability and clearance. 

5C7AA94F-905A-4FC7-AEFE-CF4B674452A9.jpeg

F226D814-D755-486F-92C6-CD2011078594.jpeg

That’s a good look. Did you modify any gearing to run those big tires? 

I’ve not run it yet with these wheels. 
I’m using the high speed gear set (68t) and a 25t pinion. Hw 10BL120 esc and Xerun 8.5t brushless motor on 3s 45C lipo. 
41mph was on standard wheels and tyres with 0 deg timing. Only problem was it didn’t stop it just skidded. (Results of that pictured below) Hence more rubber! 
good fun though! 😆
I’ve upped the braking % and increased timing to 11.5 deg. See what happens next. 

DB88320D-295D-44F6-B921-6A5919045084.jpeg

Thanks to all the replies. I'm loving the over sized tyre version..... 😳

I think I'm gonna go with the Plasma 2 and tt-02b. 

(and see if I have enough left over for a holiday buggy for my son....) 

• Like 1

Good choice.  It’s a very strong buggy. Even snapping the chassis took a 40mph impact. The only other damage was a bent center drive cup shaft and the front hubs snapped on the steering spurs. Total repair bill was less than £20. 
in standard guise it should be very reliable. 
The next logical step for me will be Arrma. I’m not into putting perfect models on shelves and admiring them. No disrespect to those that do. (Each to their own). 
A lot of my enjoyment comes from the wrenching side of this hobby. I’m actually glad when something gets dirty, or breaks. It means I get to rebuild it all over again. 
This is how I got into this hobby 42 years ago when Tamiya RC was a new thing. I was 10 or 11. 
My daughter has a off road buggy. All be it a toy grade, but she’s interested. Even at 4 years old! 
This really in a fantastic hobby 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SupaGaz said:

Good choice.  It’s a very strong buggy. Even snapping the chassis took a 40mph impact. The only other damage was a bent center drive cup shaft and the front hubs snapped on the steering spurs. Total repair bill was less than £20. 
in standard guise it should be very reliable. 
The next logical step for me will be Arrma. I’m not into putting perfect models on shelves and admiring them. No disrespect to those that do. (Each to their own). 
A lot of my enjoyment comes from the wrenching side of this hobby. I’m actually glad when something gets dirty, or breaks. It means I get to rebuild it all over again. 
This is how I got into this hobby 42 years ago when Tamiya RC was a new thing. I was 10 or 11. 
My daughter has a off road buggy. All be it a toy grade, but she’s interested. Even at 4 years old! 
This really in a fantastic hobby 

Gotta say, I'm with you. I'm all about driving the things. I've been through 5 cars back in the day - and all were well used, upgraded occasionally and loved. Unfortunately, they are all left in the UK after I emigrated. I've stated again with the hornet, (always wanted one as a kid) and now the Plasma Edge 2.

Of course the real dream, as we all know, is the Sand Scorcher.... 😍

I wish I still had my original Countach. That’d be worth a few quid now! 
The wife 😂 has a landfreeder. I’m not impressed with it but she likes it. Again the steering is rubbish and the suspension is dire but it’s adequate for her. It maxes out at 10mph. 
i think the diffs will fail next on the plasma. I’ll up them to steel lsd or ball dependant, then that’ll be it as far as upgrades on that go. 
I’ve ordered a Arrma Kraton EXB. I’m not overcooked on pre built stuff. But these are pretty bullet proof so I think the fun will increase. And there’s ALWAYS room for some spannering 😉

Where did you move to? 

Gaz