Exit13

TT02 Higher / Wider Tires Suggestions

I just built this TT-02 Audi Quattro Rally  to reminisce about the Audi Quattro kit 58036 that I had BITD. One of the few parts I have from that kit in addition to the instruction manual are these two tires. I’d like to and have my TT02 sport these larger goofy size tires. So I ask the Club for suggestions about a tire and rim size to get as close as I can. 
KudQShG.jpg

UtD2Uae.jpg

GCOkc01.jpg

It appears as if this size tire may fit but I have no idea about wheel offset as I’d like to push them out a bit and have them wider than stock to more simulate the old kit   I’m looking for something around 38mm wide and 73mm +/- high  vs what came on here which is around 27mm wide / 65mm high.  I also want to get away from the low profile rims too if possible.  Open to any suggestions.  thanks 

Well these are a little higher. But not much wider 

gDnlzky.jpg

aA1Prvx.jpg

How about 1/14 truck tyres, theyve got the high sidewall if not the edge radius or width. 

Maybe something from one of those smaller scale Chinese off-road trucks? Do any of them use 12mm hexes I wonder?

It looks like I can easily get in the high 60mm tires in 12mm hex. It’s the width I can’t find. I also noticed this early Audi kit has two different wheel widths. The front is 34mm and the back is almost 40mm wide. 

LfEkOKq.jpg

how about TT02 truck tires. I wonder what sizes are they?

If they are 1.9 inch wheel size, maybe hpi wr8 off road wheels will nearly give you the width. I have the hpi wr8 tarmac wheels which are 2.2 inch, and about 33mm wide. I will check the offset later against standard touring car wheels.

2 hours ago, Matty36 said:

If they are 1.9 inch wheel size, maybe hpi wr8 off road wheels will nearly give you the width. I have the hpi wr8 tarmac wheels which are 2.2 inch, and about 33mm wide. I will check the offset later against standard touring car wheels.

Yes please check that and let me know. I’d like to buy the whole assembly tires and rims together for this mod. I know it’s silly to put these wide / high wheels on a road car but that’s what I want to do. 

2 hours ago, Matty36 said:

Wow I’m shocked at the similarities in rims. Great suggestion. They are 80mm. Let me take some clearance measurements and see if diameter wise these are viable

LaOxX41.png

If you get the offroad rims they are 1.9 inch, I have the onroad 2.2 inch ones and I stretched some 1.9 inch tyres over them, but I struggled to get a good width tyre. I'm sure there are some 1.9 inch rally block tyres that might stretch. These are on a standard ta01, they seem to be about 5mm per side wider than standard wheels. 

20200830_170140.jpg

20200830_133413.jpg

48 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

What about Willy's Wheeler/ City Turbo wheels and tires?

Thats probably the best idea yet.  I need tires and rims, who has a wheeler that can take some measurements?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

What about Willy's Wheeler/ City Turbo wheels and tires?

This is absolutely a winning idea. Thank you.

qF4lGwy.png

What size rims do you think I can use that has a 12mm hex?  The Honda City Tubro rims seems to have this goofy Large opening for a bearing (like my Early Audi kit)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

How about Tamiya Euro Truck tires? They are about OD of 70mm.

Here they are mounted on M-chassis wheels although they do not come with tire inserts. 

IMG_1165.pdf 113.8 kB · 1 download IMG_1166.pdf 87.85 kB · 1 download IMG_1167.pdf 87.79 kB · 1 download

I love this too!  Thanks. How wide are they?

21 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

This is absolutely a winning idea. Thank you.

qF4lGwy.png

What size rims do you think I can use that has a 12mm hex?  The Honda City Tubro rims seems to have this goofy Large opening for a bearing (like my Early Audi kit)

I believe that you can install a hex in the front, but you'll need two sets of wheels. I'll check mine when I get home.

54 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

I believe that you can install a hex in the front, but you'll need two sets of wheels. I'll check mine when I get home.

Do you have a Honda city turbo?

Sorta. I bought the kit, extra wheels and tires, and the Yeah long arm conversion. The wheels won't fit the long arms, and I want a Tumbling Bull kit to build a chassis for the City Turbo, and I'll put the Tumbling Bull body on my full bling chassis.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, Exit13 said:

I just built this TT-02 Audi Quattro Rally  to reminisce about the Audi Quattro kit 58036 that I had BITD. One of the few parts I have from that kit in addition to the instruction manual are these two tires. I’d like to and have my TT02 sport these larger goofy size tires. So I ask the Club for suggestions about a tire and rim size to get as close as I can. 
KudQShG.jpg

UtD2Uae.jpg

GCOkc01.jpg

It appears as if this size tire may fit but I have no idea about wheel offset as I’d like to push them out a bit and have them wider than stock to more simulate the old kit   I’m looking for something around 38mm wide and 73mm +/- high  vs what came on here which is around 27mm wide / 65mm high.  I also want to get away from the low profile rims too if possible.  Open to any suggestions.  thanks 

cc-o1 tyres? around 30mm wide x 85mm diameter? I put some on HPi rims on a tt-02 here.

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

Sorta. I bought the kit, extra wheels and tires, and the Yeah long arm conversion. The wheels won't fit the long arms, and I want a Tumbling Bull kit to build a chassis for the City Turbo, and I'll put the Tumbling Bull body on my full bling chassis.

let me know what you find out with that rim size, I have a pair of willys wheeler/Honda city tires  in my cart.. Thanks.

If you don't mind spikes, Thunder Shot / Thunder Dragon /Fire Dragon tires fit 1.9 touring car wheels, and look nice and meaty on them...

18 hours ago, markbt73 said:

If you don't mind spikes, Thunder Shot / Thunder Dragon /Fire Dragon tires fit 1.9 touring car wheels, and look nice and meaty on them...

Tried the thunder shot tires and rims. The offset will not work for the fronts. 

4 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

Tried the thunder shot tires and rims. The offset will not work for the fronts. 

No, not the rims. Get correct-offset regular 12mm hex touring car wheels, and put the Thundershot tires on them. They're just a little wider than touring car tires, 30mm instead of 26, and stand about 5mm taller than the rally blocks.

20 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Looks like using four rears will be the way to go, with maybe 15mm hex wideners.

I think I know what you mean. Just use 4 rears Because they come with a 12 mm hex. I just need wider adapters like the two extras that came with the car.

6h2vGjd.jpg

uGLAVi1.jpg

9PH14a8.jpg