Super ally

Should i order a thunder dragon?

I have been trying to get hold of a thundershot for a while now as ive read good reviews on here about it.Mud4fun is a big fan and always raves about it on here as well.I wanted to get a nib re re but these are rare now so then comes the thunder dragon re re which has the chassis but i dont like the body.The body is the only difference from the thundershot,so should i order the thunder dragon and i might get to like the body.Your thoughts on this please.

• Like 2

I am biased but I do love my thunder dragon! The ground clearance is better than my modern dark impact which means it can take a bashing better and is a bit more flexible about where it can go. I've got a sports tuned motor in mine which is plenty. Nice and easy to maintain. There are only 2 parts worth investing a bit extra in, the A5 brace and some stainless suspension shafts to replace the screw pins. You could also consider a fire dragon body. On a slight side note, if you get one and decide to sell the body, I could be persuaded to take it off your handsĀ ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

I am biased but I do love my thunder dragon! The ground clearance is better than my modern dark impact which means it can take a bashing better and is a bit more flexible about where it can go. I've got a sports tuned motor in mine which is plenty. Nice and easy to maintain. There are only 2 parts worth investing a bit extra in, the A5 brace and some stainless suspension shafts to replace the screw pins. You could also consider a fire dragon body. On a slight side note, if you get one and decide to sell the body, I could be persuaded to take it off your handsĀ ;)

Thanks for your reply,if i get one and dont keep the body i will sell you it no problem.It comes cut out and pre painted so only need to put on decals.

• Like 1

Thundershot was my first model. I scoured RC Car Action religiously for months while saving up. Loved it so much that another Thundershot became my second model.

I find them to be fun, solid yard runners. A modern ESC in place of the old MSC and a brace or aluminum replacement for the A5 and you're in a good place. Between @mud4fun, @ThunderDragonCy, Ā @tafferĀ , & others on the forums you'll have no end of support or advice if something breaks or gets a bit wonky.

One word of caution: don't expect it to be modern rc fast. You can choose to *make* it fast, but it's pretty heavy. Again more of a yard runner imho.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

Thundershot was my first model. I scoured RC Car Action religiously for months while saving up. Loved it so much that another Thundershot became my second model.

I find them to be fun, solid yard runners. A modern ESC in place of the old MSC and a brace or aluminum replacement for the A5 and you're in a good place. Between @mud4fun, @ThunderDragonCy, Ā @tafferĀ , & others on the forums you'll have no end of support or advice if something breaks or gets a bit wonky.

One word of caution: don't expect it to be modern rc fast. You can choose to *make* it fast, but it's pretty heavy. Again more of a yard runner imho.

Thanks,dont need it to be super fast as i am used to 540 motors anyway.

• Like 2

i might be slightly biased here but BUY IT. i saw the TD in the release of the 2021 kits and it screams "buy me". i love the design of the shell, its the reason why i chose to put that on my list to buy.

• Like 2

They are great buggies, but i know that the bodies are a bit marmite. I have been pleasantly surprised at how fun the stock runner i built is, especially given how far i modified my original. TBG on ebay do reproduction Thundershot bodies

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TBG-THUNDER-SHOT-THUNDERSHOT-BODY-vintage-tamiya-/153470499584?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Ā 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

They are great buggies, but i know that the bodies are a bit marmite. I have been pleasantly surprised at how fun the stock runner i built is, especially given how far i modified my original. TBG on ebay do reproduction Thundershot bodies

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TBG-THUNDER-SHOT-THUNDERSHOT-BODY-vintage-tamiya-/153470499584?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Ā 

Thanks,i will pre order one and get that thundershot body for it as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, isomer1 said:

You'd actually be surprised by the relative buggy weights in race ready trim:

All the following buggies have identical ESC, receiver and servo. These weights are for all our postal racing buggies for Round 7.

• Sand Viper DT02 with 7.6v 4400mah Shorty LiPo - 1422g
  • Schumacher Cougar with 7.6v shorty 4400mah LiPo - 1440g
  • Thundershot 'Stig Eater' with 2S 4000mah hard case - 1454g
  • Avante2001 'purple Pig' with 2S 4000mah hard case - 1544g
  • Egress with 2S 4000mah hard case - 1576g
  • Vanquish with 7.2v NiMh - 1576g
  • Aqroshot with 7.2v NiMh - 1940g

Bare in mind my Thundershot is running a heavy 13T Dyna Run Super Touring motor, a huge Schumacher wing, has twin front shocks and all upper arms have been replaced with adjustable camber links.

The Thundershot remains my favourite buggy, it is relatively rugged, versatile, performs well on any surface, has a very strong gearbox and can run relatively hot motors and batteries with minimal long term issues.Ā 

All our Thundershots use TBG shells including my youngest daughter's:

spacer.png

And my 'Stig Eater':

spacer.png

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

You'd actually be surprised by the relative buggy weights in race ready trim:

All the following buggies have identical ESC, receiver and servo. These weights are for all our postal racing buggies for Round 7.

• Sand Viper DT02 with 7.6v 4400mah Shorty LiPo - 1422g
  • Schumacher Cougar with 7.6v shorty 4400mah LiPo - 1440g
  • Thundershot 'Stig Eater' with 2S 4000mah hard case - 1454g
  • Avante2001 'purple Pig' with 2S 4000mah hard case - 1544g
  • Egress with 2S 4000mah hard case - 1576g
  • Vanquish with 7.2v NiMh - 1576g
  • Aqroshot with 7.2v NiMh - 1940g

Bare in mind my Thundershot is running a heavy 13T Dyna Run Super Touring motor, a huge Schumacher wing, has twin front shocks and all upper arms have been replaced with adjustable camber links.

The Thundershot remains my favourite buggy, it is relatively rugged, versatile, performs well on any surface, has a very strong gearbox and can run relatively hot motors and batteries with minimal long term issues.Ā 

All our Thundershots use TBG shells including my youngest daughter's:

spacer.png

And my 'Stig Eater':

spacer.png

They look great,will the body fit directly or will the body posts need to be moved.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Super ally said:

They look great,will the body fit directly or will the body posts need to be moved.

Thank you. I think the body posts are same as Thundershot but it has been 20 years since I had thunder dragon shells on mine so I honestly can't remember. I didn't like the styling so switched mine to Thundershot shells instead which is my favourite shape of the four.Ā  Stig Eater itself had a Thunder Dragon shell on it back in 2005, I have a pic somewhere of it in the snow on mad bull tyres, I'll try and dig it out.Ā 

I can't find the picture of the Thunder Dragon shell but found this old shot of Stig Eater in an earlier form, fitted with big tyres for running on snow. See what I mean about being versatile?Ā :)

spacer.png

edit: I have found a picture of the thunder dragon and the front body mount looks like it is fitted the opposite way around, instead of the pin being towards the rear of the car, when using with the thunder dragon shell the front mount has the pin fitted pointing forward.

spacer.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Thank you. I think the body posts are same as Thundershot but it has been 20 years since I had thunder dragon shells on mine so I honestly can't remember. I didn't like the styling so switched mine to Thundershot shells instead which is my favourite shape of the four.Ā  Stig Eater itself had a Thunder Dragon shell on it back in 2005, I have a pic somewhere of it in the snow on mad bull tyres, I'll try and dig it out.Ā 

I can't find the picture of the Thunder Dragon shell but found this old shot of Stig Eater in an earlier form, fitted with big tyres for running on snow. See what I mean about being versatile?Ā :)

spacer.png

edit: I have found a picture of the thunder dragon and the front body mount looks like it is fitted the opposite way around, instead of the pin being towards the rear of the car, when using with the thunder dragon shell the front mount has the pin fitted pointing forward.

spacer.png

They look great in the snow,thanks for all your help.

• Like 2

For sure consider pulling the trigger on it! Ā Mine is enjoying a second life after being in storage for about 30 years so Iā€™m a little biased too.

Ā 

AC0E8116-7FEE-4EB1-A877-A27261F4CBD4.jpeg

• Like 5

just how popular was the TD back in the day? if i remember correctly, its wasnt the most popular but it clearly has its fans as seen by the members here. the production of the thundershot series didnt go as smoothly as others if i remember ant it was only around for 3 years initially. obviously the relative rarity did renew interest in them and 2021 isnt a much different case.

TD was the least popular shell on that chassis, but i have always loved it. I think the reason there is so much excitement is that this is the first time the TD has been Released, so finally some new shells are available. Thundershot has been rere twice, and i think the Fire Dragon might be on its third run? And Terra scorcher last year. The chassis have been recognised over the years as great runners. BITD there was a bit of a downer because it did not have a racing carrier like the Hot Shot because the Avante series slotted in above at the same time. Also, although i generally love the shells on this series, they were quite a departure from the classic scale looking hot shot series cars, Super Sabre being the notable exception.Ā 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

TD was the least popular shell on that chassis, but i have always loved it. I think the reason there is so much excitement is that this is the first time the TD has been Released, so finally some new shells are available. Thundershot has been rere twice, and i think the Fire Dragon might be on its third run? And Terra scorcher last year. The chassis have been recognised over the years as great runners. BITD there was a bit of a downer because it did not have a racing carrier like the Hot Shot because the Avante series slotted in above at the same time. Also, although i generally love the shells on this series, they were quite a departure from the classic scale looking hot shot series cars, Super Sabre being the notable exception.Ā 

i can easily imagine that, getting a "new" model where only the shell gets changed and one that diverges that much. its likely to to be a downer for mostĀ  peopleĀ but it just makesĀ the TD more distinct. i wish you didnt mention the super sabre just now, its a very cool looking shell but thankfully it doesnt steal my attention like the TD does. i should just decide to avoid googling the super saber now for the health of my mind and wallet LOL. it might grow on me and that is dangerous at this time. i dont have a half butt excuse to justify 4 RC kits these days.

so i guess the TD was just outclassed by the AvanteĀ or just had the spotlight stolen from it? from the limited pics i saw of this series it 1 TD, 2 Fire Dragon, 3 Terra Scorcher, 4 Thundershot. if i were to putĀ  the Super Sabre on that list it would be a tie for 2nd. i seem to prefer the triangular designs when possible and some of the nice rear wingsĀ that are more subduedĀ  thanĀ just a big tall and wideĀ ie Terra Scorcher/Super SabreĀ wing looks nice compared to Avante rear wing.

@nel33Ā Spotlight and performance on the Avante - bit of both? Given what I understand from the complex nature of the original Avante I suspect the Thundershot chassis series was the better runner until the Egress turned up, but the Avante was the darling. It looks amazing! I totally agree with you on the looks order. I remember seeing a Thunder Dragon hanging in the window of the local model shop and I jsut loved it the moment I saw it. I have never been a fan of the 'melty blob' look of the Thundershot. Same reason I don't like the Manta Ray I suspect. I like geometric lines. I wouldn't concern yourself with a Super Sabre. They're like hen's teeth these days, and have never been rereleased.Ā 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@nel33Ā Spotlight and performance on the Avante - bit of both? Given what I understand from the complex nature of the original Avante I suspect the Thundershot chassis series was the better runner until the Egress turned up, but the Avante was the darling. It looks amazing! I totally agree with you on the looks order. I remember seeing a Thunder Dragon hanging in the window of the local model shop and I jsut loved it the moment I saw it. I have never been a fan of the 'melty blob' look of the Thundershot. Same reason I don't like the Manta Ray I suspect. I like geometric lines. I wouldn't concern yourself with a Super Sabre. They're like hen's teeth these days, and have never been rereleased.Ā 

thank you for the reply. i cant blame you on the TD, i didnt know it was around back then/didnt search and suddenly i saw pics of it on the 2021 release. id like to get a 2nd TD shell if possible in the future and go do a SWAT Kats theme paint job. RC is new to me and im quickly learning not to look at RC models unless im willing to consider if i have the time money and space to have one. regarding the Super Sabre: YAY for old, hard to find discontinued and possibly over priced kits???, its a good thing to know it would be hard to find should i get fixated on that.Ā 

MUST NOT look at Manta ray, it might grow on me for 1 particular reason. even its spoiler is agreeable. just a random pic of the reasonĀ from google but that was one of my favorite shows and top 5 robot designs. atleast the Manta Ray is currently discontinued so i can rest a bit easier, for now...

depthcharge.jpg

On 1/30/2021 at 4:27 PM, Super ally said:

I have been trying to get hold of a thundershot for a while now as ive read good reviews on here about it.Mud4fun is a big fan and always raves about it on here as well.I wanted to get a nib re re but these are rare now so then comes the thunder dragon re re which has the chassis but i dont like the body.The body is the only difference from the thundershot,so should i order the thunder dragon and i might get to like the body.Your thoughts on this please.

Iā€™d say order the kit and put a thunder shot body on it. These are great buggies. Iā€™ve been having too much fun with my classic thunder shot. Plus the new body might grow on youĀ 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:24 AM, H22A4 said:

For sure consider pulling the trigger on it! Ā Mine is enjoying a second life after being in storage for about 30 years so Iā€™m a little biased too.

Ā 

AC0E8116-7FEE-4EB1-A877-A27261F4CBD4.jpeg

Me too!! I love them

ZJ5t4Xz.jpg

Ā 

• Like 4

Get it!! I've only started driving this chassis the other day, but I already love it.

Screenshot-20210131-195545-Gallery.jpg

• Like 6

On 01/02/2021 at 8:55 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

@nel33Ā Spotlight and performance on the Avante - bit of both? Given what I understand from the complex nature of the original Avante I suspect the Thundershot chassis series was the better runner until the Egress turned up, but the Avante was the darling.Ā 

Yes, I have run Avante, Vanquish, Egress, Avante2001, Top Force and Manta Ray side by side with Thundershots for decades in both bashing and racing. I can confirm, in general and on less than perfectly smooth terrain the Thundershot is the superior chassis.

Many people will probably be in shock at that statement and probably disagree but I can only go on my own experience.

I can however also provide alot of evidence to support my case. We have been running Thundershots, Egress, Vanquish and Avante2001 in the postal racing for 6 months now. Yes the tracks are very small but that is largely irrelevant. A 'superior' chassis should do better regardless of track size? Well in reality the Thundershot has achieved consistently faster lap times and more laps than the others. I have tens of thousands of laps worth of LapMonitor data for each chassis which clearly shows the Thundershot chassis being more consistent and outright faster even when using same motor, battery, ESC and radio gear! You also only need to look at the round 7 results table (or most previous rounds) to see the Thundershot once more beating the Avante class buggies. Remember these are all my buggies and I've owned and driven them for years so you can't even argue that I just have more experience with the Thundershot. All of them have done roughly same number of laps per round over multiple different surfaces and conditions in last 6 months from wet grass to baking hot tarmac.

Now sure, a different person may get an Avante or Egress to beat my Thundershot but then that is almost certainly down to their superior driving skills.

The only caveat is that the Thundershots are modified, albeit with hop-ups that were commonly available at the time, such as camber links, UJ's etc. My argument would be that the Thundershot had a low base price and could be upgraded to competition spec easily and for less money than the Avante class cars and was more rugged and could match or exceed their performance.Ā 

The only buggy that I have that I can get to beat the Thundershot is a brand new Schumacher Cougar laydown which is an expensive race spec buggy. (although still only half the price of Tamiya re-re Egress/TFE!!Ā 

So yes I totally agree. The poor performing and fragile Avante stole the limelight at the time and overshadowed the superior Thundershot based cars. As with many today, bling sells better than common sense.....

Oh and if you can't see an Egress, Vanquish or Avante2001 on some of the postal racing result tables it wasn't because they didn't take part, it was because they DNF'd due to catostrophic failures due to their fragility. In comparison my Thundershot has completed every round and not had a single failure.....

• Like 5

This thread is great. I canā€™t decide between a Fire Dragon or Thunder Dragon. Other than the front shock, are there any other differences? And how much difference does the Fire Dragon shocks make over the mono?

Ā 

I think I prefer the look of the Thunder, but itā€™s close. I had a Thunder Jnr as a kid :)