toyolien

One Way Diff for Gf-01?

I think why, when you brake on the gf-01 the car rolls over at the front, that was one of the reasons I sold mine.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, toyolien said:

Great. To stop it rolling over every time i brake 😬👍

you where a little faster then I with my post,  let me know off it works with the one way, maybe If it work I buy another gf-01

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

you where a little faster then I with my post,  let me know off it works with the one way, maybe If it work I buy another gf-01

Will do. It's only an idea at this stage as I use my wr02 wild willy way more than the gf01.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

I think why, when you brake on the gf-01 the car rolls over at the front, that was one of the reasons I sold mine.

Same for me, the novelty of it going into a  front roll and over itself soon wore off. 

Looks like my Wild Willy 4x4 build is going to need one of these……

• Like 1

I use to run my GF01 a lot and dialed out the initial braking using expo.   I've not had it do an endo so bad that it would tumble itself over..  But I only run black can on mine so that might be the reason.  I love that it has 4 wheel braking..

• Like 1

As best I can tell it's a reasonably common mod in Japan. Only seen it a few times on the forums outside of Japan though (though maybe that's me just missing the posts). Here is a video showing the (positive) results.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 2:12 AM, toyolien said:

Will do. It's only an idea at this stage as I use my wr02 wild willy way more than the gf01.

Does your rather nice Konghead get much use @toyolien?

Ordered one off eBay, should be here by next weekend!

12 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Does your rather nice Konghead get much use @toyolien?

Unfortunately i ended up taking the hop ups off it to use on my Comical Avante and selling the Konghead. Just wasn't for me. I'm cutting my collection down (particularly boxed kits) to just a handful that get used the most. 🙄

• Thanks 1

This is a good addition to a widened GF01. I 3d printed some longer arms and fitted to my FJ40 and turns are much more improved... no more side flips and with this hopup, no more front flips too!

improve your suspension. get trf501x front springs use hard or medium. the stock springs are way too hard I think only good for friction dampers, i know that the gf01 aluminium damper set told you to use the stock spring but its just bad.

• Like 2

Trf springs are much better, shame the price has gone up and the wait time has doubled! 

Got it put in mine, I swear it drove better just doing mini pulls in the living room and driving in circles, I even left the putty in the rear diff like I originally built it too……is that about right?!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, burakol said:

This is a good addition to a widened GF01. I 3d printed some longer arms and fitted to my FJ40 and turns are much more improved... no more side flips and with this hopup, no more front flips too!

@burakol would you be willing to share the 3-d print files? I am building a gf01 for my nephew and would like it to be more stable. 

Flipping the rear arms increases the wheelbase nicely, which I have found helps reduce front flips on braking.

I love the 4 wheel braking as it makes it much less likely to spin out.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:37 PM, Willy iine said:

dialed out the initial braking using expo

Is that something in the transmitter? I need to investigate :)

On 6/20/2021 at 1:08 AM, isomer1 said:

the (positive) results

Thats quite a stark difference.

On 6/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, burakol said:

This is a good addition to a widened GF01

If this helps anyone else you can also widen a GF01 with standard Tamiya parts. I followed the advice of @IoWBasher from their thread here

I think I used

https://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/0005688-tamiya-c-parts-x1-for-58221

and

https://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/9805551-tamiya-drive-shaft-for-44025-x2

It worked a treat and means my terrible driving doesnt roll the car on corners :)

Wanted to report on my experience: the one-way diff is awesome!! I am going to convert more of my gf-01s. So far I see no downsides and only upsides. I have only driven through a pack or so but initial results were excellent. I will compare to my stock gf01 to really get a sense of the difference but turning is very sharp, climbing is if anything improved, braking is great (no front flips) etc. So far so good. 

• Like 2

That's great to hear @smirk-racing, I'm a big fan of the GF-01 platform but would be keen to get at least one of my GF01s with this diff fitted. Which one did you get? I've seen a couple advertised but with mixed reviews on quality.

This thread is awesome… something i wanted to improve.. time to do some parts shopping…

18 hours ago, GeeWings said:

That's great to hear @smirk-racing, I'm a big fan of the GF-01 platform but would be keen to get at least one of my GF01s with this diff fitted. Which one did you get? I've seen a couple advertised but with mixed reviews on quality.

I bought the Tamiya one-way diff:

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-4wd-front-one-way-diff-unit-53200-00022188

Part number 53200

I have no idea how well it will hold up under heavy driving, but I intend to give it to a 10 yr old boy, so that should be a good torture test. We'll have to see how it goes after 6 or 12 months.

• Thanks 1