Paynec81

2013 Egress

14 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks, @Raman36  I don't foresee any real track driving with mine, so I think I'll install a Sport Tuned black can and display a BZ next to the Egress on the shelf.  

I have a bunch of old brushed motors.. remember these?

IMG_Sep132021at43910PM.jpg.b6030d8d6e352a2ccb2cadbe3eb793c2.jpg

Team Orion Chrome touring and Chrome Modified

4 hours ago, Zealot said:

Just on the topic of shocks and their behaviour, my understanding is it's the pressure increase due to the displacement of damper oil by the piston rod as it enters the shock body that causes it to extend "by itself".

When you build a sealed shock per Tamiya's instructions, you fill the body then fit the bladder and cap so a little oil overflows, which ensures there is no air pocket in the oil. This is done with the piston fully withdrawn. So, when you then compress the shock, the piston rod starts taking up space that was previously occupied only by oil. Since there is now less space for the same amount of oil to occupy, something must give way. Since shock oil is highly incompressible, the bladder and the air inside it is slightly compressed. It's this pressure that pushes the piston back out until the pressure equalises. If we were able to use a low pressure gas like nitrogen instead of air inside the bladder, then this effect would be reduced.

Anyhow, a bit of positive pressure in a sealed shock is desirable, as it helps prevent air incursion into the oil.

If you were to build a shock with the piston rod fully inserted, you would get the opposite effect when you withdrew it, which is negative pressure inside the shock which actually encourages air to enter, which is undesirable.

Totally true, probably that´s why in the Egress is one of the first ever Tamiya instructions I saw, where they built the Hicaps not with fully extended piston rod! This reduces the "rebound" of the piston rod.

Original Hicaps had a ventilated topcap with a hole in the middle. They never had "rebound", even when filling with piston rod fully extended. The blue bladders were excellent and the ventilation did the rest.

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

I'm terrified to pull the shrink wrap off my Egress.  I don't know why.  

I ordered 2 just for this reason.  I hate trauma!  :lol:  Will look for a lightly used one down the road for spares.   

16 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I ordered 2 just for this reason.  I hate trauma!  :lol:  Will look for a lightly used one down the road for spares.   

Maybe I should have done that. Instead, I ordered an Avante 2011 which I am only marginally less terrified to rip open, because I see that as one of Tamiya's flagship cars and I think they'll keep cranking it out. 

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

Maybe I should have done that. Instead, I ordered an Avante 2011 which I am only marginally less terrified to rip open, because I see that as one of Tamiya's flagship cars and I think they'll keep cranking it out. 

I was scratching my head when I got my rere Bruiser as it comes in a corrugated Tamiya carton box.. I can't verify content unless I open the outer box.. but if I open it it will no longer be authentically factory sealed..  I only bought one which was a mistake.  By the time I had the courage to opened it, the price had already gone up so never bothered to buy a second one.. lessons learned. 

A new question.. what wheels/tires are you folks using when driving on tarmac?   I'd like to get black wheels and staggered front/rear as the factory tires are.  TIA

I'm just finishing up my Egress but it will be a runner. I love the engineering of the Egress but the look of the Egress isn't really what I'm into so no interest in it being a Shelf Queen. So, I'm trying to snag spares here and there. The problem is that I have enough spares to make me tempted to buy more and build another runner! Tamiya is addictive for sure!

• Like 2

Do you guys know whether the "Dual Block Type C" front and rear tires fit the factory Egress wheels?  Sorry I have basically no knowledge of buggies.. :huh:  TIA

Took mine out for a little spin today. First time it’s been past my driveway.

So much fun!

Only had a short time between downpours and also had to share driving duties with my daughter. But it was so good to drive an RC again, it’s been 30 years or so.

This has a bit more zip than my last drive too. Amazing what a decent brushless motor and LiPo tech does for the acceleration. Can’t wait to get it back out again tomorrow. But, it also reminds me I need to get on with building my GF01 as a basher. Actually, I’m tempted to buy a couple of comicals just to ensure I have spares. I’m not particularly precious about keeping the Egress pristine but finding replacement parts does make me more cautious. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Original Jardasius said:

Nice......  Juice her up brotha

Yeah, I can even pull out my lathe from the dead to cut it from time to time.  :lol:

@GeeWings Awesome!  I can't wait to get mine.  So you're just running stock tires on and off road?   No driving on tarmac?  I don't want to run spikes on hard surfaces..  Maybe I can find some DF or TT02 tires in my stash.. 

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I can even pull out my lathe from the dead to cut it from time to time.  :lol:

@GeeWings Awesome!  I can't wait to get mine.  So you're just running stock tires on and off road?   No driving on tarmac?  I don't want to run spikes on hard surfaces..  Maybe I can find some DF or TT02 tires in my stash.. 

I don't really plan to run mine on tarmac as we have a couple of good park locally that have good mixed surfaces and actually have a couple of tracks within a 30 minute drive (though I think they are all shut now due to Covid lockdown). I am still nervous about damage though. But like I said above it's more due to difficulty in finding spares than being precious. I will have more options soon though as I have a GF01 unbuilt and a Wild One (Blockhead) coming in November and overnight I purchased a FAV which I will be far less concerned about bashing than the Egress. 

• Like 1

Electronics done for the moment. Servo is basic Futaba, until I get my hands on a proper digital servo. 

Battery holder leaves much to be desired. I get they this was designed for stick packs, but it’s still pretty poorly thought out. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

@Raman36Looks good.   Would you be able to just use fiber tape?  I use it all the time to strap down battery packs like back in the pancar days.  :lol:

I have fibre tape for my F1,  which has slots. This thing has no slots lol. Would need to get creative.  

I placed 2 foam pads to secure the lcg shorty LiPo. Along with the fence included in the kid it should hold things in place, baring a big crash.. which I have no plans for.. I’ll probably run this once and then shelf it lol.

Need to pick up paint for the body this week 

@Ramann I see..  I use fiber tape all the time on my M38 and 5844 Pajero which have no slots nor were designed to use tape.  The battery stays in place no problem without making contact to the underside of the body.

I'm going to be driving mine casually, no crazy high jumps or anything like that. 

On 9/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, Raman36 said:

I have fibre tape for my F1,  which has slots. This thing has no slots lol. Would need to get creative.  

I placed 2 foam pads to secure the lcg shorty LiPo. Along with the fence included in the kid it should hold things in place, baring a big crash.. which I have no plans for.. I’ll probably run this once and then shelf it lol.

Need to pick up paint for the body this week 

Hey there @Raman36, did you have any luck running a shorty in the Egress? please post photos if you did. Keen to see. I will be running on smooth concrete and will spend most of its life on a shelf... I am absolutely keen to use my shorty(s) and avoid buying more lipo's for one-off use.

I found this 3d print template to use shorty in place of sticks... Would that work? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3164657

(disclaimer: I haven't opened my Egress box yet)

@Willy iineDid you have any photos to share on this please?

33 minutes ago, EastWolfDownUnder said:

@Willy iineDid you have any photos to share on this please?

I am still waiting for my Egress to come in, but once I do, will do.

I placed foam pads in centre and front. The bullet plugs help secure the battery from going over foam. Yet removal becomes and issue as some force is needed, which is not ideal. This is also with an LCG Shorty. The standard shorty has the perfect height to sand which between plates. But in my case they’re with bullet plugs so there is no room. If you fine a version that is wired, it would work 

CD95B9E3-A5CA-4EFF-9F56-4A241106FB3C.jpeg

E6A6FA75-0F9F-44B8-94F5-6A7F9D2269BC.jpeg

13 hours ago, Raman36 said:

I placed foam pads in centre and front. The bullet plugs help secure the battery from going over foam. Yet removal becomes and issue as some force is needed, which is not ideal. This is also with an LCG Shorty. The standard shorty has the perfect height to sand which between plates. But in my case they’re with bullet plugs so there is no room. If you fine a version that is wired, it would work 

Thanks Raman36.... my shorties are not wired, so they will have bullet plugs sticking out - is that unsuitable?

Also, keen to get feedback on 2 types of stick packs in my country: 1 has wires coming out its bum, and they other type has wires coming out from the top corners as pictured. Which type would be ideal for Egress please? (unless my shorty lipos work). I am just trying to order things in advance for my build. Lead times are terrible here during lockdown.

20210923_161059.jpg

@EastWolfDownUnder I think the pack with wires both sides is going to be tricky but depends on height I guess. Here's my GensAce pack. It's tight as I said above but does just fit (despite appearing otherwise in the photo).

Egress.thumb.jpg.585d51b18f8a1772f5e0225e5abc75d3.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EastWolfDownUnder said:

Thanks Raman36.... my shorties are not wired, so they will have bullet plugs sticking out - is that unsuitable?

Also, keen to get feedback on 2 types of stick packs in my country: 1 has wires coming out its bum, and they other type has wires coming out from the top corners as pictured. Which type would be ideal for Egress please? (unless my shorty lipos work). I am just trying to order things in advance for my build. Lead times are terrible here during lockdown.

20210923_161059.jpg

Top one is no go. The second will fit 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@EastWolfDownUnder I think the pack with wires both sides is going to be tricky but depends on height I guess. Here's my GensAce pack. It's tight as I said above but does just fit (despite appearing otherwise in the photo).

Very helpful photo thanks. I think this rules out the pack with wires on each side and me using my shorties. 

The gens ace has the same dimensions as one in my country... how tight is tight? Is the carbon deck flexing or the skin on the battery is coming off?