Sign in to follow this  
foz75

newbie wheel questions

I'm finding it really hard to understand wheels...  or to be more precise, to understand which wheels I need!  for my hotshot, it looks like hex adaptors are the way to go, but then with wheels, what offset do I need? Or will any 4wd buggy wheels for a 12mm hex fitting work? And what about 2wd front wheels for my (nova)fox? I guess the rears can be swapped to hex fitting, but the fronts are stub axle and I can't find any wheels that fit directly. Is there anyway to adapt these? 

DF03 wheels are best fit modern 2.2" wheels for Hotshot and Thundershot cars because their offset is ideal to keep wheel as near as possible over the centre of kingpin. These wheels then allow any modern 2.2" tyre to be used. Specifically Schumacher mini pins, spikes and carpet tyres.

The width of the hex adaptor is critical. I use 5mm wide hexes with grub screws to retain pins. The 6 or 7mm wide adaptors are too wide and result in nyloc nuts not having enough thread to bite.

You can get pretty much any 4WD wheel to fit BUT the wheels will often sit further out than original and that increases stress in the event of a crash or offset collision and that will potentially break suspension mounts or steering arms.

If you can't find DF03 wheels then Schumacher race wheels will fit BUT you must use the narrowest hexes and a slim serrated flanged nut because the wheels have thicker centres which means standard Tamiya Nyloc nuts sit off end of axle thread and work loose during use.

As for 2WD, my daughter uses fastrax adaptors on her DT02 front axles and uses Schumacher Cougar front slim wheels with hex drives. We use shims to get the wheels to rotate perfectly smoothly while minimising end float on the adaptors.