DeadMeat666

High torque servo saver problem (MF01x)

I'm having a very strange issue with my MF01x. For those who aren't aware, it uses a direct servo type steering that has a longer horn with 2 side-by-side 5mm connectors, one for each steering rod.

I got the 51000 high torque servo saver and a Tamiya M06 aluminum servo horn that works for the MF01x. The thing is, the horn has around 3mm of left to right slop, which is terrible compared to the stock plastic saver. I've installed a few other 51000s and never had this issue, and it seems weird that Tamiya upgrade parts would perform so badly.

Is there a solid horn available in the market that I could use instead? Because I couldn't find one of that particular shape with 2 holes; all the solid horns I see have only one hole (or multiple holes along the vertical axis) for mounting a single tie rod.

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

would be interested to get some pictures. 

I have the 51000  with aluminium horn on F103 and no issues, did you put all the springs?

would such fit?

https://www.rcmart.com/hot-racing-aluminum-heavy-duty-servo-saver-black-shs88h-00075665

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. I did put all 3 springs like I usually do with the 51000, but this is the first time I find so much rotational slop in the servo arm.

The item you linked looks like it would be too short compared to the stock servo arm, and I'm worried this would limit the steering travel.

3 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

It looks to me that its just big. It says its 38mm long.

• Length: 1-1/2 inch (38mm)
  • Diameter: 1 inch (25mm)

Tamiya 54120 Alum Horn/High Torque Servo Saver M Chassis

Just to be clear, this is the horn I used from Tamiya, I believe it's part number 54120. It seems quite long to me, more so than the Hot Racing one.

I'll see if I can disassemble the horn and the servo saver, perhaps I put them together incorrectly somehow, even though I don't see how that's possible. It's just 6 pieces: The black plastic base, the 3 springs, this blue aluminum horn, and the black top cover.

• Like 1

This is worth looking into.... Since I'll be building my first MF01X Chassis soon. 

Personally, I'd be inclined to Epoxy all the parts together, solid. I've made my distaste for Servo Savers well known!! 😜  I'm not sure there's a good aftermarket alternative that long available.... Unless Kimborough makes one. They're Delrin, but exceptionally strong and SLOP FREE. The only Servo Savers I'll use.

I'll see if I can find anything - hopefully while it can still do you some good!! 👍👍

2 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Is the servo saver the correct fitting for the servo splines?

JJ

Yes, the slop is between the horn and the servo saver section. That section is very secure against the (25) servo splines.

Again I'll try to disassemble it tonight, and take pictures (or even video) where needed.

• Like 1

I'm using the 5100/54120 setup on my MF01X too, and it has no slop at all. I'm wondering if maybe the 54120 is machined incorrectly where the springs lock into it?

• Like 1

I’m curious too, wouldn’t mind that as an upgrading mine as well!

Often the problem with the 51000 is that people mis-assemble them or overtighten them. Once you've done that, the plastic gets damaged and the slop starts.

Fundamentally they are a decent servo saver.