Fabia130vRS

The M - Chassis TOPIC

2 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

Guess I'll have to get some at some point then, so expensive though, how do the soft wear on the rear?

The rear is both light and not driven, so they last a good while. I go through 1 set of rears for every 3 sets of fronts on mine. 

2 hours ago, berman said:

So I should not point out you have a bunch of Turbo City's that Tamiya has made RWD? 😄

image.png.090ef74b3c186e89e41a1bbb3ba4efc0.png

7 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

Guess I'll have to get some at some point then, so expensive though, how do the soft wear on the rear?

They last long enough.. you will get good use out of them 

7 hours ago, berman said:

So I should not point out you have a bunch of Turbo City's that Tamiya has made RWD? 😄

I am on my 2nd round with the M-chassis range, I will need another M07 and M08 to complete the numerical set (then maybe another Mf01x and M-four, who knows..) so this body may possibly go on a M08 chassis, but not sure what will go on top of this chassis to replace it. But I could also get 3rds of some chassis, as Tamiya still have some body sets I want...

Still have more to do... Going to fit some CVAs today, (then I will chop the body posts) and make some light covers for the headlights, as I think Tamiya got the lights wrong and they look stupid. But this is how it sits so far... 

tW8ia9a.jpg

Nice dish on rear wheels. Don’t be holding out, share how you did it 😉

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The rear is both light and not driven, so they last a good while. I go through 1 set of rears for every 3 sets of fronts on mine. 

I take it that you run mediums up front? 

56 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

I take it that you run mediums up front? 

I do indeed. S-grips at the rear,  M-grips at the front, blue foams all round.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I do indeed. S-grips at the rear,  M-grips at the front, blue foams all round.

Hi, do you have the part number for those tyres just to be sure please ? 53254,50684? Do you know if the shimitzu are any good on tarmac ? i know they are only 55mm just wondering as the tamiya ones are hard to find

5 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

Hi, do you have the part number for those tyres just to be sure please ? 53254,50684? Do you know if the shimitzu are any good on tarmac ? i know they are only 55mm just wondering as the tamiya ones are hard to find

The part numbers are correct as per @hIghQ's post above. Shimitzu tires are every bit as good if not better than the Tamiya options in terms of grip, but with tarmac tracks typically being outdoors and relatively long, you might want to go for the Tamiyas anyway as the larger diameter helps you down the straights. I typically only use 55Ds on tighter indoor tracks, or on the very tight little tracks that we use for the postal races.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

very tight little tracks that we use for the postal races

ah,so I might be better with them as that's what I'll be doing and i can use the stock for messaging about. Any suggestion as to hardness ? hard-medium or medium-soft combination ?

5 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

Any suggestion as to hardness ? hard-medium or medium-soft combination ?

I go for medium-soft personally. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 3:50 PM, Raman36 said:

Nice dish on rear wheels. Don’t be holding out, share how you did it 😉

Its just two sets of minilites, with the middle section cut out of one, and the other wheel sectioned to move the offset, and then glued the pieces together. I am also running a HPI plastic hex in the rear (think it might be 8mm?) so that affects how much you need to section off and add to the wheel. Also the axle doesn't have enough thread to run a standard tamiya wheel nut, I might get away with a serrated one, but don't have one to try. Would prefer to find a longer axle.

I am probably going to do another set in the near future, as I want to change a few things. Might do a 'How to' and take some photos then.

It's a shame Ride don't do the 0mm 3mm and 6mm minilite versions of the Volks Racing C28Ns you have on the rear of your R5 Turbo anymore ☹

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, TurnipJF said:

I go for medium-soft personally. 

I did ,schumacher shimizu and what a difference , lovely to drive so can't wait to get some timed runs in weather permitting 

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am working to finish my first kit and already dreaming about my second build. My first build is a TT-02 99 Subaru Monte Carlo.

Thinking of a M07 for the second build.

Is it best to buy a M07 Chassis and buy the body separately ? I am not finding kits chassis and body

Tamiya 58647 M-07 Concept M-Chassis Kit ($160 plus shipping)

Thank you !

3 hours ago, museguy said:

Hi All,

I am working to finish my first kit and already dreaming about my second build. My first build is a TT-02 99 Subaru Monte Carlo.

Thinking of a M07 for the second build.

Is it best to buy a M07 Chassis and buy the body separately ? I am not finding kits chassis and body

Tamiya 58647 M-07 Concept M-Chassis Kit ($160 plus shipping)

Thank you !

M07 has never been sold with a shell. Buy the chassis then choose a cool shell elsewhere.

@museguy Looks like that M07 takes bodies with below wheel bases:

"Wheel wheel length adjustable: M 225 mm or L 239 mm (by changing the rear swing arm mount)"

This is FWD?  Are you all racing at TCS events?  If so, understandable to keep within rules, but for bashing at home 4WD is very grippy and good.  Easier to control.. 

At one time I bought this cheapo shaft drive 4WD for like US$80 called the Basher or something.  It's actually quite good.. nowhere at the level of my Sabre Mini, but plenty for casual driving.   So cheap I bought 2-3 kits and kept them as spare parts.  

@Willy iine Yes, the M-07 is FWD. I know, some people diss (or outright hate) FWD as boring (apparently both in RC and in real life :rolleyes:), but I can live with the real cars - and FWD as an RC, is a) a fun class to drive (not my favorite, but still fun!) and is b) easy enough to drive for beginners (unlike e.g. RWDs often are).

And I'm old-fashioned: 4WD on an M-Chassis type car is a big no-no for me. Go proper, full size touring car for that. :)

16 minutes ago, hIghQ said:

@Willy iine Yes, the M-07 is FWD. I know, some people diss (or outright hate) FWD as boring (apparently both in RC and in real life :rolleyes:), but I can live with the real cars - and FWD as an RC, is a) a fun class to drive (not my favorite, but still fun!) and is b) easy enough to drive for beginners (unlike e.g. RWDs often are).

And I'm old-fashioned: 4WD on an M-Chassis type car is a big no-no for me. Go proper, full size touring car for that. :)

I suppose if big on only Tamiya that can make sense.  I’ve been around a while too and raced everything from M01’s to 4WD m-chassis (many brands) and of course touring car stock and mod classes back in the day. 

I’m perfectly fine with 4WD m-chassis and recommend it if open class.   They accelerate and handle so well.   Anyway, just thought I put it out there as I am a m-chassis fanatic too, just haven’t posted much about it here at TC as my focus is on Willy and Billy themed comicals. 

I enjoy the variety, and the ability to mate scale bodies with chassis that have the motor and drivetrain in more-or-less the right position. So for me, RWD and FWD M-chassis both have their place.

The M-07 is the latest and most competitive offering from Tamiya in the FWD Mini category, and is a great choice if you fancy going racing. However it is only designed to be built in MWB and LWB configurations. You can get aftermarket rear hubs to move the rear wheels further forwards to achieve the SWB M-chassis wheelbase, but this leaves a significant portion of the chassis sticking out the back, interfering with fitting a classic Mini shell for example. I would also describe the gearbox as shielded against dirt ingress rather than sealed, so it is best kept for running on reasonably clean surfaces.

If you fancy a FWD Tamiya M-chassis that has a sealed gearbox and the ability to be built as a SWB without aftermarket parts or massive rear overhang @museguy, the M-05 may be a better choice. Typically sold as a kit with a bodyshell and decals, and easier to set up for predictable and consistent handling, it is perhaps not as fast as the M-07, but on anything other than a prepared track, you are unlikely to tell much difference. I have an M-07 in my fleet, but I still enjoy driving my '05.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the little something different that a FWD M-chassis can provide, be it an '05 or '07, or even an '03 if you fancy going a bit old-school.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I suppose if big on only Tamiya that can make sense. 

I'm actually not all that big into Tamiyas (after all, I own only two - out of 15 RC cars at the moment - and only plan for a third), but M-Chassis IMO is an iconic Tamiya class and for me that also includes 2WD (for me that's somehow part of the class, can't explain why...).

• Like 1

@TurnipJF My hopped upon M03 was still faster than my hopped up M05 (pro was it? there was some special version chassis and I have that and a couple of standard ones) the last time I drove mine running the same body.  Granted I have more experience tuning M03's as that was one of the chassis I raced in the late 90's.. I still have all my m-chassis, but I no longer have my longish track at home so the main reason why my m-chassis is taking a long break.. I have a Xpress dual CF deck m-chassis to build, but no where to drive it so still NIB..  :wacko:

12 minutes ago, hIghQ said:

I'm actually not all that big into Tamiyas (after all, I own only two - out of 15 RC cars at the moment - and only plan for a third), but M-Chassis IMO is an iconic Tamiya class and for me that also includes 2WD (for me that's somehow part of the class, can't explain why...).

That makes sense.  I'm only big on comicals and m-chassis Mini Cooper bodies from Tamiya and raced AE mostly.  I too think the M01 is the most iconic and 'true' m-chassis.  I have a hopped up one and a NIB.  

8 minutes ago, berman said:

I tried to pick one, once...

I think especially for scale & casual driving, any of the Tamiya's do just fine.  

It was funny when a few of our modified 4WD m-chassis were lapping stock touring cars though.  They go ridiculously fast as you already know.

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I think especially for scale & casual driving, any of the Tamiya's do just fine.  

It was funny when a few of our modified 4WD m-chassis were lapping stock touring cars though.  They go ridiculously fast as you already know.

Absolutely. I am going to try some of the aftermarket cars soon, Carten210, M4, M5, FM1S etc etc

On 5/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, SupraChrgd82 said:

I posted pics early in this thread, but after realizing how enjoyable it is to read everyone’s stories behind their cars, I’ll offer up my M chassis history.

Just before the CCP virus lockdowns, two of my buddies and I were sitting around sayin’ we should all get one of the three Vee-Dubs from Tamiya.  I love classic sports cars of the two seat variety so I started looking at the Ghia.  The M06 chassis wasn’t very impressive with its short A-arms, thus a M08 was selected.  I got carried away with hop-ups and it became a shelf queen.  
The paint was originally intended to be root beer metallic brown, but it turned out horribly.  As an effort to save the shell I wet-sanded the inside and gave it a coat of blue to give the illusion of “patina”.  Then I came across a photo of a 1:1 Ron John Ghia and remembered that there were spares from a High Lift in my parts bin. The surfboard and Yakima rack from Shapeways were mated to the roof for a California surf wagon theme. I still have yet to apply the headlight and tail light decals.
6B6C8E57-276E-4436-8C7D-5E369836C4CF.jpeg

This is absolutely madness.