Fabia130vRS

The M - Chassis TOPIC

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Sorry, I should have clarified, it was the MF01x beetle rally that I was looking at. They have M-chassis sized wheels. I really like the style of the wheel that was in my kits, but I've not seen another like them for sale! However at least I know any M-wheel will work, so that will be my next option.

I may have a set, let me have a look tonight. May not get back to you til tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I may have a set, let me have a look tonight. May not get back to you til tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks! 

Got some time the other day and gave the M07R a rebuild after a winter sat on the shelf. So it's now ready for a summer of racing (hopefully!) and added some bits that were in the bottom of the parts bin that I got on clearance a while ago and then promptly forgot about...

Added the YR motor heatsink, some shorty lipo brackets by RRP racing, and a CF rear damper stay, and a new set of rubber:

spacer.png

spacer.png

After not touching the car for nearly 6 months, I'd forgotten how nice the M07 is compared to its predecessors, quite tempted to try and get an M08R but got too many projects on to justify it at the moment...

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Awesome, thanks! 

Are these the ones, I could be tempted to let them go for a little consideration. Do you have any m chassis wheels that maybe we could do a swap?

844937B7-68DF-404E-BDA8-90E7862A99A2.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, BuggyGuy said:

Just had a look at their website and they only list 17.5 frontie and 17.5 touring classes with open tyre rules - looks like they are active on Facebook though so posting there for a recommendation would probably get you a response quite quickly

I did find on their website that they have a m-chassis class and for newbies they have a m05 you can borrow

9 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

some shorty lipo brackets by RRP racing

Those look good - any chance of a link to where you got them?

26 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Those look good - any chance of a link to where you got them?

spacer.png

I got them on Ebay in 2020 according to my email, looks this was the seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/randracingproducts?fbclid=IwAR2yvJpHxx0wYR6oGYgAqiouPxmVTHbW6g4e6TtuV9SO-jyZIfJCSu8fE8M

The part no longer appears to be listed unfortunately.

Seller is on FB though and might be able to help, these would also fit the M08 so they might be up for getting some more produced now the M08R has just been released: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057405251384

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my M-08 Concept with Team C Ferrari Dino shell. As I'm sure most of you can relate, this project became more intense than expected! The body is a 225mm wheelbase, but the width at the rear wheels is about 180mm. I quickly realized the standard M-08 track width was too narrow.

Research here led me to Tamiya 50808 Rear Wheel Axles for the TG-10 Chassis, which seemed like a perfect "drop-in" solution. And they were...for the front wheels. Having built my M-08 over a year ago, I had forgotten that the rear had CVD joints. So I grabbed some dogbones from a XV-01, and I was back in business. I should note that the XV-01 dogbones in the M-08 have much less slop than what I've typically seen, so not sure if this could lead to binding (or worse!) when cornering. I also used 10mm hex hubs to get the width just right.

This is my 2nd Team C shell (first was an Apple 935). The Dino IMO is much more realistic than the Porsche. Side and front window trim, pinstripe, and bumpers are done with paint, using Tamiya flexible line tape. It's not perfect, but there were no window decals with this body, so that set my course. Lucky Strike decals are courtesy of MCI, who have always done a great job for me. Kyosho line tape for the body panels.

lucky dino 1.jpg

lucky dino 2.jpg

• Like 10

Hello M chassis fans,

I have been toying with the idea of getting an M chassis for a while. Last year I got an unbuilt M-06 but could not find a body that I liked (I was very adamant about the body being a scale representation of a RR car...) and ended up selling it to a TC member.

And here am I now searching for a new car that would be both small and FWD and so I thought: how about an M-07? Well again I am being picky about getting a body that I really like and the one I want has a 210mm wheelbase (GTI mkI). So that means I now need to get a M-05 :)

Since I have already gone down the rabbit hole of spending too much on a basic car before, this time I really want to keep the hop-ups to the absolute minimum: bearings and oil shocks. I was wondering how pleasant the M-05 would be in this configuration. I would use the car to enter TC's postal racing again, i.e. tight technical tracks on poorly prepared surfaces. Any tips and opinions will be very welcomed!

To narrow down the hop-up question above I thought about the following items:

- Stock diff: is it good enough?

- Silver can motor: enough power?

- Fixed/non adjustable camber links :( is that a big deal?

- Is the stock steering set usable or does it have too much slop?

- Also I was also going to swap the A parts for the Ver II A parts in order to fit a shorty (square) lipo pack that I already have.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Hello M chassis fans,

I have been toying with the idea of getting an M chassis for a while. Last year I got an unbuilt M-06 but could not find a body that I liked (I was very adamant about the body being a scale representation of a RR car...) and ended up selling it to a TC member.

And here am I now searching for a new car that would be both small and FWD and so I thought: how about an M-07? Well again I am being picky about getting a body that I really like and the one I want has a 210mm wheelbase (GTI mkI). So that means I now need to get a M-05 :)

Since I have already gone down the rabbit hole of spending too much on a basic car before, this time I really want to keep the hop-ups to the absolute minimum: bearings and oil shocks. I was wondering how pleasant the M-05 would be in this configuration. I would use the car to enter TC's postal racing again, i.e. tight technical tracks on poorly prepared surfaces. Any tips and opinions will be very welcomed!

To narrow down the hop-up question above I thought about the following items:

- Stock diff: is it good enough?

- Silver can motor: enough power?

- Fixed/non adjustable camber links :( is that a big deal?

- Is the stock steering set usable or does it have too much slop?

- Also I was also going to swap the A parts for the Ver II A parts in order to fit a shorty (square) lipo pack that I already have.

Thanks!

Have you considered getting an M07 and then doing a 210mm conversion. M07 is a much better car than the M05 out of the box IMO

The conversion is not that expensive to do either, easiest way being this: https://www.yeahracing.com/aluminum-210mm-225mm-wheelbase-rear-hub-2-pcs-black-for-tamiya-m07-tamc-056bk-00081259

Worth check your body of choice will still fit first mind you

• Like 1

Editing my previous post as I was having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that the M-07 is FWD! This is so new to me lol.

On 5/1/2022 at 12:51 AM, Pylon80 said:

Silver can motor: enough power

Being a FWD, a Torque Tuned is about the max it can reasonably take. There is only so much power you can put to the front wheels of a car a wise man once said. 

@alvinlwh thanks. Now that I'm back on the M-07 route it won't come with the motor anymore. I was on the fence between an old silver can that I already have and a Torque Tuned that came in a TT-02 kit and is ready to go. RWD are much the same in terms of liking less power so I might actually go with the old silver can.

Regarding the YR conversion rear uprights, I am quite sure a bit of the chassis will extend past the body of the GTI but for some reason it doesn't bother me one bit and I think the M-07 is worth that compromise. 

Hi all,

It looks like it will be a used but nicely hopped-up M-05 that I stumbled upon last weekend :)

Does anyone here have experience with the 54194 ball diff? I really like the fact that the pressure plates are free to slip rather than being locked with the diff housing like on a normal ball diff.

Does anyone know how to source the drive shaft "cushions" (they are called a variety of things from different people), see the parts circled in red:

image.png.99ff8d8c5a9ccfb7f19c0bcbd882a7e7.png

It is definitely a better ball diff than the mantarey type that is also compatible.  I used this ball diff extensively in the M06 over the 10 years I raced it.  

• Like 2

Here are the 3 M05s I built with my kids (10/7/3 years old).

A Yaris and a 2CV in LWB and an mx5 in MWB.

Obviously this was their very first built, and first paint job too.

No doubt I helped quite a bit, but the 2 older girls did all the masking on their bodies, which took some patience for sure. 

20220424_165421.jpg

• Like 6

The 3 cars are stock except for ball bearings and alum. steering pods, and run on 3600mAh Nimhs.

Now is time to find some more patience to learn to drive :rolleyes: We start at 20-30% throttle EPA.

2 hours ago, Vertigo35 said:

Here are the 3 M05s I built with my kids (10/7/3 years old).

A Yaris and a 2CV in LWB and an mx5 in MWB.

Obviously this was their very first built, and first paint job too.

No doubt I helped quite a bit, but the 2 older girls did all the masking on their bodies, which took some patience for sure. 

20220424_165421.jpg

Wow can they come and do some masking for me. I’ve got nearly 50 years on them and that’s better than a lot of mine!!! I really like the MX5

On 5/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, Pylon80 said:

Hi all,

It looks like it will be a used but nicely hopped-up M-05 that I stumbled upon last weekend :)

Does anyone here have experience with the 54194 ball diff? I really like the fact that the pressure plates are free to slip rather than being locked with the diff housing like on a normal ball diff.

Does anyone know how to source the drive shaft "cushions" (they are called a variety of things from different people), see the parts circled in red:

image.png.99ff8d8c5a9ccfb7f19c0bcbd882a7e7.png

Tamiya 53890 

Swing axle protector

• Like 2

Where abouts are you @Pylon80? I'll probably have some kicking about

8 hours ago, svenb said:

Where abouts are you @Pylon80? I'll probably have some kicking about

Thanks for the offer my friend but the car actually came with the TB03 diff, unlike what was advertised. After a good rebuild and seeing myself 3ft deep through the polished diff plates :DI think I will stick with that diff. 

Sorry for hijacking the M chassis thread with boring questions and no visible progress :)

What would be the go-to tires for my M-05 for running on outdoor asphalt, that is NOT 60D but the smaller diameter instead and is NOT preglued? 

Seems hard to find. If preglued are the only option then I'll have to resort to a shelf wheelset plus buying runner premounts as I go through them. 

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

Sorry for hijacking the M chassis thread with boring questions and no visible progress :)

What would be the go-to tires for my M-05 for running on outdoor asphalt, that is NOT 60D but the smaller diameter instead and is NOT preglued? 

Seems hard to find. If preglued are the only option then I'll have to resort to a shelf wheelset plus buying runner premounts as I go through them. 

PS-SM-F | Shimizu Treaded Tyres (pr) for Tamiya Mini - Hard | Schumacher RC Racing (racing-cars.com)

• Like 2

I run these on all my m-chassis.   I had PitShimizu do one production lot for me and I paid the 50 sets or whatever it was.  :D  

IMG_2022-5-26-190508.jpg.77525d191d6d491d0311fc953ae157fe.jpg

These tires imho look so much better than Tamiya's too.. but that's just me. 

IMG_May182021at60509AM.jpg.8068099b8b23ae6b18b20b2a0bac792a.jpg