jellon

Lexan window frames - best way to paint

I was wondering the best way to do the black window trims on a lexan shell.

Presumably it is best to paint them from the inside. I saw a suggestion to add a thin border of masking tape to the edge of the window masks, then peel that off and spray black after the main coat is on. 

Any other suggestions?

You can also trace a line on the actual Window masking cutouts provided to trim them down to a slightly smaller size before cutting/applying windo mask. a bit of masking for the other half of the outer edge window trim could do the trick. I'm getting a FD3S body shell hopefully within 2 week that I'm just gonna paint it black.  I might try out a trick like that on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jellon said:

I was wondering the best way to do the black window trims on a lexan shell.

Presumably it is best to paint them from the inside. I saw a suggestion to add a thin border of masking tape to the edge of the window masks, then peel that off and spray black after the main coat is on. 

Any other suggestions?

That's how I do them. Depends on how big the mask is as to whether you add tape or cut the mask.

Just make sure you've got enough opacity in the main colour before you do the window frames so that the black doesn't show through!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both. I'll give it a try. I assume for any smaller detailing (headlamps, number plates) people mostly use stickers on lexan? 

I've seen posts about using tamiya acrylic, but it looks like a real pain, involving base clear paints, or lots of sanding to get it to key. 

Any other tips on detailing? I'm completely new to lexan, only done one comical shell - and that is just one colour spray.

17 minutes ago, jellon said:

Thanks both. I'll give it a try. I assume for any smaller detailing (headlamps, number plates) people mostly use stickers on lexan? 

I've seen posts about using tamiya acrylic, but it looks like a real pain, involving base clear paints, or lots of sanding to get it to key. 

Any other tips on detailing? I'm completely new to lexan, only done one comical shell - and that is just one colour spray.

Most of the detail you see on cars are stickers but there are some very impressive "all paint" jobs out there.

Tamiya acrylics aren't suited for use on lexan. The airbrushable acrylics for lexan can be brush painted if you want, although I tend to mask and spray as you get a better finish.

You can pick out details on the outside with something like a fine permanent marker but be careful as it can end up looking more unrealistic than the plain lexan shell.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jellon, if you have multi tasking down to a fine art you could do a little 'how to' with photos for those of us really new to painting lexan...PLEASE 😁

• Like 1

.It really depends on the body, sometimes I free hand it, you can pick up some really good marker pens. Some times I cut strips of black electricians tape on the inside. Or I black out the window with tint.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScoTT-02 said:

Hi Jellon, if you have multi tasking down to a fine art you could do a little 'how to' with photos for those of us really new to painting lexan...PLEASE 😁

@ScoTT-02 I'll have a go! I posted a bit about the comical Grasshopper build. But that was a straightforward cut out, window masks and 4 coats of white spray. For a beginner - the toughest part was actually cutting the thing to shape, especially with some sharp corners. The window frame stickers were difficult too. Build info here 

@ScoTT-02 started on this shell today.

It does fit - but not sure how it's going to look. Still, it will be a good cheap one to practice on. 

First step is to place the untrimmed shell on top and see where the posts will go. I had to reverse the mount on the rear posts to fit the shorter shell.

Next you sit the shell on top and find a sensible location for the posts - avoiding corners and edges.

Then mark the bits where each post touches the shell and take it off.

Then you can roughly cut away the edges of the shell before you do the neat cuts. See all in the pics below.

20210225_200814-COLLAGE.jpg

Next you cut the shell neatly with sharp nail scissors or similar. This one was all easy curves, but some are a swine to cut neatly. 

I neaten the edges off with a craft knife and a fine file. 

Then you need to make the holes where you previously marked it. There are plenty of methods - but I just drilled a small hole with a hand drill then enlarged with a circular file. They aren't perfect, but you won't notice

20210225_201237-COLLAGE.jpg

There she is so far. Certainly looking 'comical' so far.....

Now you need to wash the inside of the shell in soapy water and let it dry properly before applying the masks.

IMG_20210225_201659307~2.jpg

Most shells now come with window masks. I like to apply them by sticking to the flat blade of a craft knife - then positioning them before pressing down. 

I was going to try to be clever with the window frame masking - but this shell is so tiny and difficult to get to - I think I'll add them later.

20210225_203950-COLLAGE.jpg

Can't stop now I've started it!

I used some leftover tamiya PS white. I've sprayed the inside of the shell with 4 thin coats - leaving 20 mins or so in between. Make sure you shake the can really well.

20210225_225636-COLLAGE.jpg

I know it's not the right way to do it. But I went with vinyl stickers for the window frames. 

I used the window masks as a template and cut thin strips. Its not perfect, but replicates the method that the comical shells use. It looks quite appropriate for these cartoony builds.

IMG_20210226_202042108~2.jpg

I'm just practicing with this shell, so used up a load of spare stickers I had from other projects. Probably got a bit carried away! 

20210226_215117-COLLAGE.jpg

So.... Fair to say that it's a bit small. I think the main issue is that the comical chassis is quite wide. Still - it looks quite fun up there. It was enjoyable to have a go, and its probably the closest I can get to a comical beetle, without chopping shells up. 

IMG_20210226_214745330~2.jpg

On 2/4/2021 at 4:37 AM, sosidge said:

Most of the detail you see on cars are stickers but there are some very impressive "all paint" jobs out there.

Tamiya acrylics aren't suited for use on lexan. The airbrushable acrylics for lexan can be brush painted if you want, although I tend to mask and spray as you get a better finish.

You can pick out details on the outside with something like a fine permanent marker but be careful as it can end up looking more unrealistic than the plain lexan shell.

I was hoping that I could use the Tammy acrylic on the lexan to do the outlines on the window frames on my comical frog. I figured the black outlines would look nice with the white body with pink decals..

On 3/10/2021 at 2:33 AM, mike in pa said:

I was hoping that I could use the Tammy acrylic on the lexan to do the outlines on the window frames on my comical frog. I figured the black outlines would look nice with the white body with pink decals..

Apparently it doesn't bond well to lexan - unless you prep the surface. But you can use markers. The comical Grasshopper uses stickers for the frame. They are a pain to apply and tend to peel.

3 hours ago, jellon said:

Apparently it doesn't bond well to lexan - unless you prep the surface. But you can use markers. The comical Grasshopper uses stickers for the frame. They are a pain to apply and tend to peel.

Markers, like sharpies? Does it last?

On 3/11/2021 at 8:54 PM, jellon said:

Which markers would one use for painting the window edges?
I don’t want to use the stickers on my rally beetle.

I don't know - I'm new to lexan stuff as well. Not sure if gundam markers do the trick.