Juhunio

TB-02R not TB? One kit, two builds

Boxing the TB-02 roller up for sale :unsure:...it'll go with a new clean manual and all the parts to build the HT servo saver and install a servo

spacer.png

Optional spur gears, a few leftover screws and bolts, tools, chassis stickers, cable ties, double sided tape and screw bag headers

spacer.png

And the usual left over plastic bits and bobs :lol:

spacer.png

Might leave it in the box for a little while, give me a chance to change my mind :ph34r:

• Like 2

Bit more fettling on the 02R this afternoon. 

While I was able to find the B, C and D suspension blocks in grey, I could only find the A blocks in blue. Which meant the one grey C block on the back stood out, particularly as all the other alloy bits (except the prop shaft) are blue

spacer.png

So I found a blue C block in the Far East which arrived today

spacer.png

And went ahead and swapped out the grey block and the silver 3mm spacers for blue bits

spacer.png

Getting the R/R block off and swapping it over was straightforward enough, but I stopped short of trying to get to the silver spacers on the R/F block, that just felt like a mess waiting to happen :lol:. And the thin silver spacers are 0.7mm and I don't think they're available in blue, but I'll cope

spacer.png

Satisfying :)

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 5:54 AM, Juhunio said:

I would love to get hold of one of the many variants of the CLK-DTM body shells, but there don't seem to be any out there.

Here you go @Juhunio, my TB02 wearing the CLK-DTM shell. Hopefully I did justice to this body. First time using Tamiya flex tape, really great stuff.

tb02-2.jpg

tb02-4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Room335 said:

Here you go @Juhunio, my TB02 wearing the CLK-DTM shell. Hopefully I did justice to this body. First time using Tamiya flex tape, really great stuff.

tb02-4.jpg

Awesome work! I gave you the 'cup' symbol not to say thanks, but as a form of trophy! 

That looks great, it really is a lovely body shell and you've definitely done it justice :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the nice words. Means a lot coming from someone who puts a lot of care into their builds!

• Like 1

I've come across quite a few Evo 3 bits over the last couple of weeks. Think I'm gonna have to rename this thread....looks like there's gonna be another phase :ph34r:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I've come across quite a few Evo 3 bits over the last couple of weeks. Think I'm gonna have to rename this thread....looks like there's gonna be another phase :ph34r:

@Juhunio - Ahh, a TB EVO.III collection of spare parts, clever you!  I was also tempted to go full EVO.III swap on my TB-02R tribute — Decided to keep it like a TB-02R because I've invested for the front, rear and top tub chassis braces and parts.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, studioRS said:

Ahh, a TB EVO.III collection of spare parts, clever you!  

I think there's a fine line between 'clever' and 'foolish' :lol:

On 3/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, studioRS said:

Decided to keep it like a TB-02R because I've invested for the front, rear and top tub chassis braces and parts.

Yup, I went through the same thought process. And then kept on going, all the way through to gathering an EvoIII worth of parts!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know exactly what you mean with this. My TB03R ihs basically a tub Evo5, but to go full Evo you lose the inboard rocker front suspension, and where's the fun in that? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I know exactly what you mean with this. My TB03R ihs basically a tub Evo5, but to go full Evo you lose the inboard rocker front suspension, and where's the fun in that? 

That inboard rocker suspension (IFS?) looks interesting. I've got an FF-03R in the works which looks to have a similar / same system so it will be cool to see what it does differently to the standard set up

I've also just had a flick through the Evo5 manual, looks verrrry cool. That prop shaft / front cup assembly....mmmmm, nice!

spacer.png

• Like 2

@Juhunio I've got an FF03R too. That's lateral arranged IFS seems to work well. I certainly like it, as I have two cars with it! Before super short shocks were a thing it was a way to keep the front end super low. I know some people find it too fiddly, but I seem to get on with it OK. I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference to the standard setup, but I think just think it's interesting.

I can fit that EVO5 univeral prop shaft to my TB03. They are very cool. I haven't because I bought some lovely Eagle Racing alloy gaerbox outdrives, and I kinda like the silver look of the stock prop. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I can fit that EVO5 univeral prop shaft to my TB03. They are very cool.

@Juhunio @ThunderDragonCy - This ^^^!! is what keeps me up and a total nutter about digging into Tamiya parts bins. What fits what, can the part carry over to the next model, blah, blah. Wait, did I double check that other parts manual before clicking the buy now button!?!

Since Juhunio opened his thread up to this topic =) ...  I'll have to admit, as much as I'm a self-admitted Tamiya Options header card collector junkie and in total pursuit of a chassis fitted with as many trick factory options parts as necessary, it just gets overly bonkers with the MoF (Minister of Finance) when adding them all up!  So, with that in mind (and trying to keep it on TB-02R topic), I've drafted a set of carbon fibre parts that will hopefully work well for my TB-02R tribute and my next build, a mild TB-03R tribute. These are being CNC cut out from 2mm CF, .PDF, .DXF file is available, send me a PM if interested.

TB-03R damper braces are pulled from the TB-04 Options parts catalog page. This will allow fitment of IRS and/or upright dampers so I can try different settings and... possibly fit a 251mm WB Porsche 911 GT3 Cup body (with IFS and TA-04 SS rear lower suspension arms).

TB-02R damper braces are patterned from EVO.III parts and designed to replace the stock plastic braces, they are only missing the top suspension arm holes. Rear brace is missing the antenna hole (not my preferred location), I like to make the antenna follow the scale actual location, if possible. Top chassis brace is an almost EVO.III replica. I left the middle holes for holding Rx and or zip-ties, additional antenna locations.

TB-02R-EVOIII-TB-03R-parts.jpg

• Like 1

@studioRS Good work there dude! Looks like they'll be a sweet build. Looking forward to seeing the TB03R. Thanks for the offer on the CAD, but I'm happy enough with mine being a tub chassis. It's way better than me anyway, and I kinda like being the underdog at the races.

• Thanks 1

Finally some decent warm weather! So I grabbed the chance to paint the Carrera GT shell this weekend

After a full can of PS-41 Bright Silver applied in five coats, it has a lovely metallic sparkle in the right light. Then two light coats of black at the back for the rear diffuser and light cluster

The rear wing and mirrors were painted with TS-17 Gloss Aluminium, which ended up being a nigh on perfect match.

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Can't say I'm rushing towards stickering it, what with the full-panel window stickers and all :blink:

• Like 2

Got all the stickering finished, so the TB-02R chapter is complete. A few little creases here and there but over all pretty happy with the result :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ahhh, dammit, didn't notice (until now) that little brake light sticker had lifted a bit. Some of the adhesive on the sticker sheet had become quite weak, so I will need to go around with some thin cement to help it along in places...

• Like 2

Also added a bit of braided sleeving to the servo and ESC wires to tidy the chassis up a little bit 

spacer.png

spacer.png 

Hmm, just noticed the LF and RR wheels are in the wrong corners :rolleyes:

spacer.png

• Like 9

The final bits for the Evo III chapter have arrived!

spacer.png spacer.png

Mmmmm, blue bits...

• Like 4

Every bit of blue anodising shaves a little off your lap times! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Every bit of blue anodising shaves a little off your lap times! 😃

FACT!

• Like 1

So today I added an Evo III upper deck to the TB-02R...just because!

spacer.png

I used thin clear plastic washers in between the carbon front and rear stiffeners as a little buffer

spacer.png

It also meant I could attach the antenna holder close enough to the receiver for the antenna to thread through it and into a tube. It was never going to reach the intended position at the rear of the chassis. I guess old-school receivers had much longer antenna than the newer tech? So this update did have some practical benefit :lol:

spacer.png

So I was able to ream a hole through the roof of the shell and thread the antenna tube through. Satisfying!

spacer.png

• Like 7

The footering continues!

Picked up these little beauties on eBay B)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finishing touches are never really finished....

• Like 5

Almost the 12 month anniversary of my last post in this thread....

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Paddles....charging.....stand clear.....

Bip....bip....bip....bip....

It lives!

I recently came across a huge job lot of TB02 / 02R / Evo III parts on Japanese Yahoo which arrived a couple of days ago

I mainly bought it because it contained the final few blue pieces I needed to make this a proper TB02-R...prop shaft and motor mount, as well as a one way and necessary extras. It also included an aftermarket carbon fibre alternative to the SSG chassis brace

spacer.png

So last night I performed open-diff surgery to replace the ball diff with the one-way

spacer.png

A nice, clean, healthy look diff there, with the reinforced diff joints

spacer.png

Time to build the one way with the carbon plate

spacer.png

Altogether more beautiful than the diff

spacer.png

And it slipped right in...

spacer.png

• Like 1