Lukas666

The annoying gearbox slap

So been reading and researching and trying to figure out the best way to stop the gearbox on my lunchbox from cantering up in those holders and the motor hitting the springs, very annoying. I know there’s ways to stop this such as the infamous 5th shock, Ampro gearbox brace... which I actually like a lot but by the time I ship it here will be like $20 Canadian or more and probably take till August. There’s also fishing line I’ve seen but not really a fan of that. We all have leftover parts trees from builds so I measured and clipped off a piece and loctite super glued it in that channel as a shaft stop. Fits very nicely I might add. The Gearbox is rock solid now and doesn’t move at all in the front. Cheap easy fix for anyone that’s as annoyed as me with this design and wants a cheap very less evasive way to stop this that you can’t even see unless you really examine the vehicle from the bottom. The Hornet has the same design and seems even worse as that shaft spring is light as a feather, I’ll be doing that one next.

9F2E1B7C-A176-44AB-BE3D-E821E6385C2D.jpeg

• Like 3

If you zoom in you can see I first tried the initial assembly way of leaving that screw in putting tension on that skinny spring pressed on the axle but it bends it shortly after anyway... if they want this design to work you need a way beefier spring there.

Nice idea . The Lunchbox & Hornet wasn't meant to be any more than a fun ride - out with kids and all that . It got heavily converted by Rc'ers who wanted it to 'perform' - me included - many times :)

6 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Nice idea . The Lunchbox & Hornet wasn't meant to be any more than a fun ride - out with kids and all that . It got heavily converted by Rc'ers who wanted it to 'perform' - me included - many times :)

I dunno how much of a kids “Toy” even these Tamiya legends are. There’s to much there for a young one to build or tweak and set up and never mind paint and decals. To me it’s more of a big kids or adults toy but I could be wrong. 

They are designed really for adults to be kids again 😉 and for dads to spend quality time with their kids imo.

Bit like Lego Technics imo. 

• Like 1

Did that quick fix to the hornet too. The hornet was wayyyy worse you could hear and see that gear case slap from a mile away... not anymore now.