Cuiken

Motor and ESC for an XV-01

Hi,

I had Tamiya's as a kid but just bought my first one in 25 years, an XV-01 Lancia Delta kit. Opened it up and the quality and nostalgia hit me like a truck. Really excited ot get started on it.

So, the kit obviously  comes with a silver can motor and I have a HW Quickrun 1080 ESC so I will start with those while I get my eye in. I suspect I may want a bit more power though and so am already lookingat options. As far as I can tell they'd look something like this (all would use lipo):

1. Tamiya Super Stock motor and the 1080 ESC - Dead simple and, critically, waterproof. I'm in Scotland and this car will be run in the wet. Just not sure how much faster this would be. Plus, there's the maintencace of the motor.

2. Generic ~15T brushed motor (etonix/surpass....) and 1080 ESC - Pretty much as option 1 but rather than maintain the motor you'd probably just accept replacing them regularly. They are very cheap. As above though, not sure how much faster this woul be than the silver can motor or how it would compare to ta Super Stock.

3. Sensorless Brushless - Loads of options but maybe a HW MAX10 and 3652 motor (~3300kv). Fast, low maintenance and waterproof. Only concern would be cogging. Is that even an issue on a light car like this?

3. Sensored  Brushless - The RollsRoyce option. It would need to be waterproof though so I think that limits me pretty much to a castle setup. Would a Mamba Micro and a 2850kV 1406 motor work? Would a Mamba X fit? Are there any other choices I should consider?

Any thoughts on this? I appreciate there are tons of posts on this subject scattered around the usual forums but many are years old and reference parts no longer on the market.

Cheers.

Ohh yeah, and pre-cut wheel arches! Thanks Tamiya. Aside from paint, that is my least favourite part of the build.

• Like 1

The only thing with the XV-01 and esc is the enclosed area for it. if you want the lid on choose esc carefully for size

My experience with alternatives is limited, so please do not treat this as a recommendation but just as a data point:

I am using the mentioned Hobbywing combo EzRun Max10 ESC with EzRun 3652SL 3300KV motor (4-pole, sensorless). I am happy with this combo and would buy it again for my XV-01. The ESC fits into the XV-01 electronics box (with mounted fan). I had to solder extensions for the motor cables. The motor has fixed cables with 3.5mm plugs, no solder contacts. The fixed cables end where the servo is mounted. Cogging is not an issue at all with this motor for me. It has plenty of power. I am using it with a rather small 23T pinion. Using the throttle to put the car into a controlled power slide is possible even at medium speeds. Top speed is still more than sufficient for my taste. For programming the ESC, there is an additional button next to the power switch. No addtional programming card or USB connector required.

• Like 2

Welcome along, where about in Scotland are you based? I’m in East Lothian quite a few members on here from Scotland too. Are you doing a build thread for this? All my runners are brushed just because I’m used to them.  I was out the hobby for a bout 20 years so still doing homework on lipos and brushless motors etc seems like we are spoiled for choice now,  but otherwise there’s plenty of good brushless combos out there have a nosey at some of the build threads too for tips and so on. 👍🏻

I'm using HW 1080 (probably the best brushed ESC today) and a GoolRC 21t on mine. Love the combo and just right in my opinion. I could also go faster with 17t which is still good a realistic. Going 15t or lower to me isn't proper anymore for the gears and realism. 

A Mamba X will fit with the fan removed at the front of the electronics  box. You'll need a 275-300mm sensor wire. 

I'd pair it with a two-pole motor in the 10.5-17.5 range, depending on how fast you want to go. A four-pole makes too much torque, and makes the car harder to drive fast in slippery rally conditions. 

Unfortunately, the Mamba X, with it's large footprint, is the only choice for waterproof sensored ESCs that will fit the XV-01. Make sure that you use it in Smart Sense mode, so it will still function if the sensor gets too much water in it.

I've run my XV in nasty conditions with a 13.5 and non-waterproof sensored ESC without issues. 

For a brushed combo, I'd use the 1080 and a Yeah Hackmoto (or equivalent) 17t. They're cheap motors that run just fine.

Morning and thakns for the advice. So, I went a bit nuts and have the following:

1. Spare 1080 (from a previous crawler project that ow runs brushless) and a 17 Etronix motor. Sounds like it should be a sound enough choice from what people are saying. Certainly, best of the brushed.

2. I got a bit drunk on Friday though and also ordered a Mamba X with 1406 3800KV motor. Sounds like this should be about right in terms of top speed but may make too much torque. So, either rely on my cat like reflexes (not a great plan) or mess with the programmable torque setting in the castle link software. Basically, it's way overkill but I guess I can reign it in via software to get something managble.

Two, possibly completely non representative things lead me to make that second choice. I had a terrible absima truck which had so much cogging that it was basically undriveable. Made me overly cautious about sensoreless. I acknowledge this is daft since this car weighs half what the truck did and will have far less traction.

I have amate who just wrecked his second non-waterproof ESC in a TT02. Again though, a daft comparison since the TT02 runs all the electronics exposed while the XV01 has the neater enclosed chassis.

Anyway, it's ordered and shipped now. So, we'll see how it does.......

Hi, Seanster43, I'm in Midlothian near the Borders. In simpler times would be great to meet up. East Lothian is forbidden territory these days though :( . Hoping that we come out of the lockdown some time this spring, can you recommend any decent bashing spots? I've heard East Lothinan is pretty good.

A build thread....? I'll give that some thought.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Reminded myself how to use image hosting sites. So, for anyone interested, build thread:

• Like 1

The 1406 3800kv/Mamba X will be buttery smooth on the bottom end. It's a crawler combo, and very popular around here. In fact, I'm using a 1410 3800 in my primary crawler. Yeah, it'll have big torque and horsepower, which you can mellow out with throttle curves and EPA adjustment.

You won't have to worry about drivability issues with the Mamba X. The system in the Abisma isn't in the same category as the Mamba. Some of the systems in less expensive RTRs are so bad that the cars aren't fun to play with. I tested an HPI Maverick a couple of years ago that had so much throttle delivery delay that you couldn't make in-air corrections.

20 hours ago, Big Jon said:

The 1406 3800kv/Mamba X will be buttery smooth on the bottom end. It's a crawler combo, and very popular around here. In fact, I'm using a 1410 3800 in my primary crawler. Yeah, it'll have big torque and horsepower, which you can mellow out with throttle curves and EPA adjustment.

Ta for that. Yes, I have a the 3800KV 1410 in my Redcat Wendigo and it is simply tremendous so I do have high hopes. On the Wendigo I use the Aux channel to switch between crawler and Racer modes. In the XV-01 I'm immediately thinking of using it as a means to easily set max speed while I'm getting my eye in.

The Absima was senslorless so it's not really a fair comparison but, yeah, it was completely undriveable. Terrible cogging, couldn't even take off in long grass without the ESC going into saftey cut out. And, incredible fragile. I'm very easy on my RC cars but I don't think I ever took the Absima out withou breaking it. Anyway, another story....

Just waiting for the ESC/Motor to turn up from the US now... Well, and the rest of the build.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Wow a Mamba Max fits in the XV? 

When I first got mine, I struggled with fitting my Novak Kinetic... I ended up using low profile heat sink so that wires would clear without and allow the lid to screw down.

I now run HW XR10 Stock Spec. Small foot print and plenty of power. Motor, I’m still using a Novak Vulcan 17.5. I have about 30° of advanced timing on ESC. In winter I don’t need fan on motor, but summer time, I run a Whats that all about then? Trumpet Windy to keep the motor from going Chernobyl 😉

15 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Wow a Mamba Max fits in the XV? 

When I first got mine, I struggled with fitting my Novak Kinetic... I ended up using low profile heat sink so that wires would clear without and allow the lid to screw down.

I now run HW XR10 Stock Spec. Small foot print and plenty of power. Motor, I’m still using a Novak Vulcan 17.5. I have about 30° of advanced timing on ESC. In winter I don’t need fan on motor, but summer time, I run a Whats that all about then? Trumpet Windy to keep the motor from going Chernobyl 😉

Not the Mamaba Max, the Mamba X (I think they are different?).

Yeah, It'll be a tight fit but, on paper, it will just about work. The ESC is 35mm wide and the electric box is 37.5mm wide at its narrowest points. I'm not sure how to deal with the height of the cooling fan quite yet :)

The XR10 was another choice I looked at but, as I say, wanted something waterproof. For similar reasons (Scottish climate) I don't think I should have any issues with motor temps...

I'll be the first to concede, the Castle is too much motor for this car. like I said, I was drunk. I was watching some vids of an MF01X beetle last night and thinking 'wow, that's rapid, I wonder what motor they are running'. Turns out it was a brushed 21T. This XV is going to be way overpowered (at least for my skills :) ).

Cheers.

I run my XV in snow frequently. The radio box does a good job of keeping water out. The only additional thing I did was to I make a lexan grommet for wires that go into battery box to stop moisture from coming in.