Sign in to follow this  
Dadio

My Hotshot Racer Reborn

I used to race a Hotshot back when i was in my teens in the 80's , the car evolved over the years to be something quite unique and went pretty well , sadly it has vanished in the mists of time but I've had a hankering to recreate it for some time now , the final speck was as follows .

1 TMS fibreglass chassis 

2 TMS drive shafts all round including prop 

3 TMS alloy front hubs 

4 steel suspension/steering balls all round 

5 Downsway Turbo Relay ESC 

6 Demon 27 HT for standard class and Kyosho Le Mans 240 s for mod class 

7 Modded to fit front suspension arms at rear with steering links set to produce rear steering under chassis roll 

8 Supershot Shocks all round 

I have a few old pictures , sadly they were stored in a shed and got damp , they were also shot probably with a disposable fixed focus camera but you can just make out some of the detail.

This is early on with Kyosho Scorpion shocks up front and the original shocks both at the back .

kSJCi7Rl.jpg

These are later on in its history showing it nearer to final speck but with a home made chassis made of copper backed circuit board as that's all i could get at the time .

vl68Rnel.jpg

uPL80Opl.jpg

9T8VdVyl.jpg

2TFk6xVl.jpg

ULSFTiWl.jpg

cOqKlOel.jpg

I'm nearly finished the reconstruction now with just paint to do , I've tried to stay true to the original while making changes that reflect greater resources but retain the geometry .

This is of 3d printed modified front suspension arms fitted to rear gearbox , printed in Carbon Fibre Nylon .

yBJgNVEl.jpg

poHy74ml.jpg

m1PCjLrl.jpg

bErqQWll.jpg

p9TV9o3l.jpg

New Chassis ,a replica of original TMS version .

T17Ehb5l.jpg

jTHx8I9l.jpg

eUeN6IUl.jpg

UnS0PfAl.jpg

And with a replica TMS body specifically for the chassis.

hB2ermwl.jpg

• Like 11

I've given it its first run , its loaded with a Novak Super Rooster ,a Demon 16x2t brushed motor and 15t pinion , I ran it for 5 min and the motor was still cool , it tracked true in a straight line at speed , gentle steering produced slight under steer but if thrown into the corner the roll steering worked and it turns on a sixpence .

For those familiar with vintage 1980's 4x4's the closest handling comparison is with a PB Mini Mustang although there is more transmition drag than the Mini Mustang .

• Like 3

The body turned out bad , don't know what I was thinking , I've already ordered another to replace it but its now a runner , a few pictures of the horror show body and a clip of it running on a loose surface car park .
yWjgrzBl.jpg
NqlabBXl.jpg
eN1hLN5l.jpg
https://youtu.be/tu6DJQmrw2c

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dadio said:

The body turned out bad

Well you'll not lose it.... Its all part of the fun, at least you'll not worry about it getting bashed. Cool chassis however, I've never seen that for a Hotshot, especially the bespoke body for it. 

There were several fibreglass chassis for the hotshot back in the 80's , TMS of which this is based , Super Charge did another , there were even full scale plans published in Model Cars Magazine so you could DIY one , I did a DIY version to begin with and then moved to the TMS version 

• Like 1

kSJCi7Rl.jpg

This photo is a blast! I like analog photography so much and their artefacts. Big shot man!

Finished the new body , bit conservative but loads better .

ui5hEAHl.jpg

4wT8rfvl.jpg

Also found a TMS Tornado motor that was made by the people who made the chassis , its got a little roughed up on the Decal and there's no repro decal made but it runs sweet as a nut !

xLQlK0ql.jpg

• Like 3