Superluminal

Ebay issue...maybe?

I know before I write this out that if it quacks like a duck....... not sure this feels 100% ok, but anyway.

Had a Tamiya kit in my ebay watch list for a while that has a buy it now price and a make offer option.

This morning made an offer, seller counter offerred, I countered £10 less which the seller accepted and I checked out and paid straight away via paypal.

Seller emailed me asking if i can pay by personal bank transfer so he could avoid the paypal fees. I replied that I had already paid so he has asked if he can refund my paypal transaction and I pay by bank transfer or alternatively that I paypal him another £10 friends and family plus a bit if a sob story of why he wanted more. He is saying that he wouldnt have accepted less if he knew it would be by paypal but this wasnt mentioned in the listing anywhere. He now wants my personal mobile number for the courier.

He might be 100% legit.......or quack quack?

26 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I know before I write this out that if it quacks like a duck....... not sure this feels 100% ok, but anyway.

Had a Tamiya kit in my ebay watch list for a while that has a buy it now price and a make offer option.

This morning made an offer, seller counter offered, I countered £10 less which the seller accepted and I checked out and paid straight away via paypal.

Seller emailed me asking if i can pay by personal bank transfer so he could avoid the paypal fees. I replied that I had already paid so he has asked if he can refund my paypal transaction and I pay by bank transfer or alternatively that I paypal him another £10 friends and family plus a bit if a sob story of why he wanted more. He is saying that he wouldn't have accepted less if he knew it would be by paypal but this wasn't mentioned in the listing anywhere. He now wants my personal mobile number for the courier.

He might be 100% legit.......or quack quack?

Stinks, stick to the plan of Paypal and posted or refund IMO.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Same as Grumpy pants says.

• Like 2

@Superluminal

22 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

What he said ^^^^^

• Like 2

Agree. How many deals, that seem to start well, and end up creating discomfort, turn out OK in the end. Maybe 1 in 10? Could be legit, but when those intuitive alarm bells start to ring (in this case because someone is changing the rules of the game after the game is over) they are usually telling you something you probably ought to listen to. 

• Like 2

Cheers guys, seems it might be that way. Havent responded any further - will wait to see if I get a marked as despatched. 

• Like 1

Be very careful. Have a good look about to see if the pictures are on Google anywhere. Sounds very much like a scam to me

• Like 1

Where abouts in the country is it? Maybe one of us could check it out 

• Like 1

You could suggest he gives you a full refund and relists the item under the current £1 seller fees deal. You then buy it again for the same price. If the purchase price was £100, he would make £9 extra. Of course that is assuming it wasn't on a deal in the first place. I'm also not entirely sure how ebay would view that, but someone has done it to me before. 

17 minutes ago, svenb said:

Where abouts in the country is it? Maybe one of us could check it out 

He's in Bedfordshire. Looking at the items hes also listing he has quite a few Tamiya items which look to me all at the top end price. Im assuming at the moment that maybe he's just a chancer but if you feel that way about the prices either set a reserve or dont accept the lower offer. To be honest even my offer was the absolute top end of what i would have paid so can quite happily let this slide and find another later.

8 minutes ago, Hairyjon313 said:

You could suggest he gives you a full refund and relists the item under the current £1 seller fees deal. You then buy it again for the same price. If the purchase price was £100, he would make £9 extra. Of course that is assuming it wasn't on a deal in the first place. I'm also not entirely sure how ebay would view that, but someone has done it to me before. 

Im going to wait till tomorrow - ive still not responded to his email asking for the additional tenner by paypal friends and family. If not shipped then I will ask for the refund and hes free to list it again at a higher price (which it cleary hadnt sold for so far)

59 minutes ago, Superluminal said:
1 hour ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Whats the 1£ seller fee? Where is that? 

I hate canceling sales, because the fees still apply, ebay charges them and once charged they refund the amount of fees of unsold items.

how annoying. Changed ebay accounts twice because I wanted to avoid the annoying fees. With success.

I hate bought but not paid items gosh...

but  I would ask to send the item without extra 10 and move on. The worst in my opinion what you can do is leave it unreplied. Tell him how you want the deal to be and bye

34 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Whats the 1£ seller fee? Where is that?

EBay email you ,with the offer. 

Not sure if it's because you've not sold anything for a while, or there's a drop in general eBay listings,  and giving a reason for the average person to want to sell.

There's one this weekend , so I've listed a couple of things, to start tomorrow night. (No Tamiya though, just vintage kyosho and Futaba stuff, but I'll put a link in the relevant thread, as it's for the Glasgow club) 

2021-01-24_08-57-16

42 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

EBay email you ,with the offer. 

Not sure if it's because you've not sold anything for a while, or there's a drop in general eBay listings,  and giving a reason for the average person to want to sell.

There's one this weekend , so I've listed a couple of things, to start tomorrow night. (No Tamiya though, just vintage kyosho and Futaba stuff, but I'll put a link in the relevant thread, as it's for the Glasgow club) 

2021-01-24_08-57-16

I have been recently on ebay again. But is this only a co.uk thing or applies to .com also? I have seen a few differences for example .de and .com.

I also find it annoying that all those extensions dont work very well Together especially the mobile app is a pain

3 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I have been recently on ebay again. But is this only a co.uk thing or applies to .com also? I have seen a few differences for example .de and .com.

No idea, I presume it's worldwide! 

3 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I also find it annoying that all those extensions dont work very well Together especially the mobile app is a pain

If I'm listing things on eBay, I dust off the old laptop, if I'm looking for an idea of prices, or looking in the States for 1:1 car parts,  I use the .co.uk 'desktop version' on my phone, but for general browsing ,the app.

Regarding the request for phone number, I get asked to put that & the recipients email in for tracking when sending by courier. I always offer the option & don’t care either way & if the buyer doesn’t want to the that’s their choice.  

2 hours ago, J@mes said:

Regarding the request for phone number, I get asked to put that & the recipients email in for tracking when sending by courier. I always offer the option & don’t care either way & if the buyer doesn’t want to the that’s their choice.  

For me its normal include the phone number so the courier can call me

Not you is it???

After several rounds this morning of me not budging on the price and then asking for a refund he seems to have conceded and agreed to send it.

He has however relisted the exact same kit again - I asked if that was the one I had won earlier but he claims to have two. We shall see what, if anything arrives this week. Fingers crossed its ok but had an ebay account since 2004 and cant say ive experienced anything like this before. 

Sounds a bit dodgy to me, he should have checked the payment options he set up or not accepted your offer if he wanted more money.

Mobile number request is normal, mist couriers require that as standard

Ok, cant say ive ever had to before this though. Normally the tracking data has been added to the ebay transaction and I can track its delivery progress via the ebay app or they message me the reference number of the carrier.

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Not you is it??

Certainly not,

But Bedford is about 20 miles from me.

Perhaps I can help in some way?

• Haha 1

Nah i gathered that :D but thanks for the offer though.

Ive been told its being posted. Hoping a box of old pants and socks isnt going to arrive instead.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Nah i gathered that :D but thanks for the offer though.

Ive been told its being posted. Hoping a box of old pants and socks isnt going to arrive instead.

Even if it does, you would be covered over ebay and paypal?

I dont know about you guys, but I rather never had a bad expirience ever in RC history.

I tend to be careful and from who I buy, but somehow by the pictures and communication of buyer seems important. I never really ahve business with somebody who is money hungry as it tends to be somehow strange? You can notice in the conversation if the person has respect for its item and values it, or just want to get rid of it. Idk like speaking more about the payment method then the item itself, more or less if the price is low, I can understand that the seller wants to avoid ebay as there is a waiting time on paypal, ebay charges also fees.

• Like 1