simalarion

My wife just said she would leave me if i bought 1 more kit

Seems like a few of us have been in the same boat. All I can remember is every aspect of free will being drained away with a endless conversations consisting of something along the lines of;

Me; What shall we get for dinner?

Her; I dont mind, I'm happy to have whatever you want.

Me; Great I could really do with a curry.

Her; I'm not sure I feel like a curry.

Replace "dinner" with films, going out, holiday destinations, colour to paint the walls, what to plant in the garden, buying anything for anyone etc etc etc etc etc etc etc basically never ever doing anything I wanted to do and then three years of trying to ruin my life. Fortunately in 2017;

Me; I think im going to buy an RC car. I havent had one of them since I was about ten.

Her; wont that cost a lot of money and take up a lot of your time?

Me; yes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I think you are missing some of the humour in the posts :)

also I don’t think these posts are the reason there aren’t more female Middle aged Tamiya enthusiasts 

Just like there aren’t an equal % of men to women over on the Michael Kors handbag sites (again that’s a joke)

JJ

There is no humor here. Just a bunch of overgrown children thinking it's ok to bash on a certain group of people. Well news flash, this forum is public and international. Your disrespect spans the globe. Congratulations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

There is no humor here. Just a bunch of overgrown children thinking it's ok to bash on a certain group of people. Well news flash, this forum is public and international. Your disrespect spans the globe. Congratulations.

Then dont read it 

Unless you know the specific guy’s situations then you can’t comment tbh

the ex wives are probably bashing their ex husbands with their friend right now too

some marriages work

some don’t 

some are like a fairytale  

some are like a horror 

everyone has had their own experiences 

I was honestly being humorous and tbh I’d say that to my wife and she’d tell me all about my foibles - that’s an open and honest relationship and no one is perfect.

if we don’t talk then we aren’t being truthful with each other

ita great you have a fab marriage but you have to respect that other men and women just don’t 

JJ

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Then dont read it 

Unless you know the specific guy’s situations then you can’t comment tbh

the ex wives are probably bashing their ex husbands with their friend right now too

Excuse you. Don't write it in a PUBLIC, INTERNATIONAL forum if you don't want it read and commented on. YOU are the one being disrespectful here, NOT me.

Re: different situations, freakin DUH. I even said in a previous post to NOT paint the whole gender with the same brush. HELLO reading comprehension.

5 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Excuse you. Don't write it in a PUBLIC, INTERNATIONAL forum if you don't want it read and commented on. YOU are the one being disrespectful here, NOT me.

Re: different situations, freakin DUH. I even said in a previous post to NOT paint the whole gender with the same brush. HELLO reading comprehension.

I’m not saying people can’t read stuff 

I’m saying that YOU don’t have to read stuff that you don’t like.

if you actually consider what this post is about it’s about us men who spend too much money on RC cars - I’m sure all the other men in the world will be along soon to moan at us for tarring them with the same brush 

you are a laugh a minute mate

if you don’t like a post then report it and you can let the site moderators spend time making a decision.

sorry if my attempt at humour offends anyone  and I certainly don’t mean to be disrespectful to you @El Gecko

JJ

1 minute ago, El Gecko said:

There is no humor here. Just a bunch of overgrown children thinking it's ok to bash on a certain group of people. 

Yes, 100% agree, a certain group of people - namely all the female partners I have had in the last 50 years - who all exhibited the same tendency to think that men were a free money tree to allow them to avoid bothering with such things as actually getting a good education or working damned hard for 70 hours a week for decades or facing high work related stress levels or finance stress levels due to their total lack of understanding or appreciation for how much things cost (or rather not worrying how much things cost because the man would cover the costs)

I'm not tarring all women with the same brush at all. I happen to have have the greatest respect for anybody, regardless of gender, that puts in the same effort. My problem is with the 'potential minority' (Maybe I was just attracted to the wrong types?) who seem to think that they are owed a living because of their gender or wish to use their gender and its certain attractions to the male to take advantage.

Not sure who or what you are defending El Gecko? Surely equality works both ways? people who take advantage of others based on deep seated human nature and hormonal responses to gain a financial advantage are not acceptable in this modern 'asexual world'? 

All I can say is that to console myself with my awful intolerance and utterly dire 'seen the light' maleness, I'm just pricing up a new Schumacher EVO L1......... :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Yes, 100% agree, a certain group of people - namely all the female partners I have had in the last 50 years - who all exhibited the same tendency to think that men were a free money tree to allow them to avoid bothering with such things as actually getting a good education or working damned hard for 70 hours a week for decades or facing high work related stress levels or finance stress levels due to their total lack of understanding or appreciation for how much things cost (or rather not worrying how much things cost because the man would cover the costs)

I'm not tarring all women with the same brush at all. I happen to have have the greatest respect for anybody, regardless of gender, that puts in the same effort. My problem is with the 'potential minority' (Maybe I was just attracted to the wrong types?) who seem to think that they are owed a living because of their gender or wish to use their gender and its certain attractions to the male to take advantage.

Not sure who or what you are defending El Gecko? Surely equality works both ways? people who take advantage of others based on deep seated human nature and hormonal responses to gain a financial advantage are not acceptable in this modern 'asexual world'? 

All I can say is that to console myself with my awful intolerance and utterly dire 'seen the light' maleness, I'm just pricing up a new Schumacher EVO L1......... :D

I'm not "defending" anything. I'm saying that this whole thread is wife-bashing, and the thread has now basically turned to mob mentality to defend itself.

Hardly RC-related fun IMHO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I’m not saying people can’t read stuff 

I’m saying that YOU don’t have to read stuff that you don’t like.

if you actually consider what this post is about it’s about us men who spend too much money on RC cars - I’m sure all the other men in the world will be along soon to moan at us for tarring them with the same brush 

you are a laugh a minute mate

if you don’t like a post then report it and you can let the site moderators spend time making a decision.

sorry if my attempt at humour offends anyone  and I certainly don’t mean to be disrespectful to you @El Gecko

JJ

Yes, I can choose not to read it.

I can also choose to read it, and choose to call you out for being an insensitive dolt.

The first one only benefits me.

The second benefits the whole forum (and the world) should you heed my advice.

17 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

I'm not "defending" anything. I'm saying that this whole thread is wife-bashing, and the thread has now basically turned to mob mentality to defend itself.

Hardly RC-related fun IMHO.

and the problem with that is?

The problem here is the fact you are not tolerant of any opinion other than your own? even when most of our comments are based on humour or pure jest?

El Gecko, cancel culture is what destroys forums and society NOT free speech. 

If you don't like what I say then either ignore me or give a valid argument and let us debate it but please do not just give sweeping woke shutdowns. 

So what is your evidence that my experience is not the norm and that your experience is normal? are we going to have to get into a willy waving competition as to how many female partners we've had?

Seriously??

Most of what we we're talking about was irony, jest or based on real world genuine experience!

• Like 7

Ah yes - let’s remove humour and banter from the world 

You are the leader of the new humourless society.

No one bashes men either - have a wander over to mumsnet and see all the posts from SWMBO bashing husbands 

You see your role as defending the world against jokes and banter 

no probs - vid for you to go moan at

like I said, if you think my posts are offensive then you are able to report them using the flag icon on each post

you've called out my humour - well done 

I’ll change my ways I promise 

I’ll try not to diss all us middle aged men who play with toys either - oh wait no that’s my missus and how she refers to us (in jest also - but mainly true)

JJ

• Like 2

All I can say is that since my divorce I've spent a small fortune on Tamiya and Schumacher so I think the bosses of either company (regardless of sex) will be happy with their sales charts..... :D

• Like 1

Hey geniuses, you can have humor without bashing. No one is saying take away the humor. I'm saying take away the bashing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Hey geniuses, you can have humor without bashing. No one is saying take away the humor. I'm saying take away the bashing.

I do not even know where to start. MAN can you please just move on to something else. Please

edit: you are close to trolling now as i see it, you just chewing upp the whole thread..,

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

In what society ;)

have you ever watched stand up?

sorry I’m British and taking the P out of myself and everyone is part of society 

anyway.....I’ll try and be better and change our society for you :(

As I said - you don’t have to read this just like you don’t have to watch reruns on eastenders on Dave 

JJ

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you want to achieve @El Gecko ?

We are all different and have different life experiences and we in the UK especially have a different sense of humour to those in the US (well that seems to be the case to a degree)

Lets say you are successful and I get banned along with all the other people that don't agree with you. What will that achieve? TamiyaClub loses lots of membership fees (as I'm a paid member) and it declines.

You will be left on your lonesome wondering why the forum is so quiet and you seem to be the only regular user.

At that point you'll complain as to how all the forums seem to be ruined and not as good as they were?

But the reality is that if you continue down this road of wanting everybody to shut up unless they agree with your specific opinion then that is exactly what you'll achieve. A barren, desolate and poorly funded forum with all the life sucked out of it and one that will ultimately fail.

I'm the first one to admit, I'm a stubborn, loud mouthed, opinionated SOB that should be banned BUT in my defence I probably just say things that a fair few people think?

I have tried to remain on topic for the most part but badword, we are all stuck in lockdown and this is currently our only social place (in lieu of a pub which are shutdown due to lockdowns) so I think a bit of leeway is in order in your tolerance levels to allow people to vent their frustrations or diverse humour maybe a bit more than in normal times?????

EDIT: I went for 15 years as a non paid member and very infrequent visitor and still did just the same amount of RC stuff anyway IRL so it would hardly be the end of my world if I was banned. It was only the incessant spams from TamiyaClub that eventually persuaded me back here. If you want to report me and ban me then fine, feel free. Just don't then complain at a later date that the forum has died due to lack of members. (who have all long quit to avoid reprimands for things they say that you don't agree with)

• Like 2

I believe  @Morinstal have a point in his post, we should all just dropp this now there is no need for more pointless negativety, this had gone to far already ....

Ohh its getting late, but as luck has im sleeping with my RC Cars in my hobbyroom now so my wife aint bothered ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, simalarion said:

I believe  @Morinstal have a point in his post, we should all just dropp this now there is no need for more pointless negativety, this had gone to far already ....

Ohh its getting late, but as luck has im sleeping with my RC Cars in my hobbyroom now so my wife aint bothered ;)

hahaha, as it happens, due to not having a wife to complain, I'm still painting my Avante2001 shell and wing in my new team colours IN THE KITCHEN in front of the AGA!!!! :D:):ph34r:

EDIT: I think I have discovered a wonder cure to painting in winter...... yes, despite it being -1.7c outside with a humidity of 97% and snowing, in the kitchen it is +24c with a humidity of just 37% AND the solid fuel stove with the air valve cranked open sucks most of the paint fumes up the chimney, dries the paint super fast and the overspray on the hearth adds a certain modern art feel to the Victorian cottage....  :D (yes, yes, yes, I'm not recommending this as I'm sure it is not good for ones health!!!!)

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

Stop feeding the troll guys.

So now it's considered trolling to want a basic standard of human decency on a freakin RC toy forum?

Yikes. Seems I've stepped into the wrong sandbox.

I just want to point out that most observational humour is based on observations, and therefore those observations may be common and generalisations (ie, "women like shoes, men like beer"). The humour that commenced this post was the "bait and switch" style of humour, where you expect one outcome from the first part of the joke, but the second part of the joke changes the outcome and contains a clever play on words.

The joke would have worked just as easily with any number of substituted items/gender etc, but this is a predominantly male forum talking about RC cars. There is nothing less funny than deconstructing jokes though, so I will move on.

What @El Gecko fails to understand, whether due to location, age or otherwise, is that this forum has been actively supporting their member's health, especially over the difficulty of lockdowns and social isolation in the past 12 months. Forums he previously frequented, such as UltimateRC and RCTech, no longer have any kind of social goodwill, and any attempt at a 'General Discussion' section get shut down rapidly due to people spouting ever-nastier political nonsense. He is, of course, not responsible for these websites' decline. If he is concerned that he "stepped into the wrong sandbox" then perhaps he could either observe from the sidelines for a while to see if it is in fact the sandbox he wants to play in, or perhaps move on to another sandbox. He should not attempt to change the sandbox, or make sweeping generalisations about the attitudes and opinions of those in it.

Also, a really easy way to tell where someone is from is how they spell 'humour.'

I was going to mention that my wife has a very simple way of reminding me to limit my purchases: don't buy anything that doesn't fit in the house or garage! Beyond that she's very supportive of my hobby.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well said @lsear2905

very wise 

the 1:1 car forum I run almost didn’t have a general discussion area but without the banter the forum dies.

we all need fun in our lives and sometimes a shared sweeping generalisation about something in the world brings us all a bit closer - doesn’t mean it’s true or false 

as for wives - mine is also supportive (even though she moans that I could have put  £100 in the holiday or school fund instead of buying yet another “toy car”)

and as someone else said - this is way cheaper than my 1:1 hobby of lowers suspension, engine remapping, lightened flywheel, racing clutch, lightweight alloys, stainless exhaust, petrol, servicing etc etc  

so the wife and me spend quality time together and quality time apart 

a balance of individualism and shared life

and if we can avoid the annoying 11yr old in the house for as long as possible then even better (again not a sweeping dig at 11yr olds not reference to child negligence - just humour)

happy Tuesday everyone ;)

JJ

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I’m gonna twist the knife....

For goodness' sake don't post any Jimmy Carr! :lol:

There is a bomb going of here:ph34r:, But it looks like I am one of the lucky guys with my wife, as long as I pay the bills and we can eat and not spending all of are money she don't mind, and a now with this covid thing she told me to buy more kits because she knows when I get bored I get grumpy.

So last month I bought a MAN semi truck and I was at a point that I have to paint a lot but of the cold weather I can not paint so I can't do nothing on this project, so I told my  wife and  she told me to buy another kit  to keep me busy, so I ordered another kit yesterday:D.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1