Sign in to follow this  
Old Falcon Lad ll

Pinion Gear & Hotshot questions please

Morning all, 

My first post here for years. Was Old Falcon Lad many moons ago, but now have teenage son who is showing interest in RC. Can I pick your learned brains please? 

First up, pinion gears. My old Hotshot 2 lost drive last summer when the kids were bashing it around the garden. I bought it second hand and its never been rebuilt, but pulled the gearbox apart yesterday and pinion looks shredded.  Think I need a 13T one, and a non-Tamiya steel job is probably best - what are the best options please (I'm Uk based)? Only ask as the Tamiya one has teeth on the smaller part of the gear and I've seen some non Tamiyas don't if that matters. 

Same theme, my son has a modern Sand Viper - what's the best pinion upgrade for that one?

Lastly, I bought an old Hotshot 1 10 years ago to do up, but never started as I could not find a replacement front drive shaft - can these be found now or what are the options?

Thanks all, good to be back. 

Cheers, Paul

2 hours ago, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

Morning all, 

My first post here for years. Was Old Falcon Lad many moons ago, but now have teenage son who is showing interest in RC. Can I pick your learned brains please? 

First up, pinion gears. My old Hotshot 2 lost drive last summer when the kids were bashing it around the garden. I bought it second hand and its never been rebuilt, but pulled the gearbox apart yesterday and pinion looks shredded.  Think I need a 13T one, and a non-Tamiya steel job is probably best - what are the best options please (I'm Uk based)? Only ask as the Tamiya one has teeth on the smaller part of the gear and I've seen some non Tamiyas don't if that matters. 

Same theme, my son has a modern Sand Viper - what's the best pinion upgrade for that one?

Lastly, I bought an old Hotshot 1 10 years ago to do up, but never started as I could not find a replacement front drive shaft - can these be found now or what are the options?

Cheers, Paul

Hotshot is 0.8mod gears, but 32dp work perfectly and are easier to get in steel. I use these

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/cnc-32-pitch-steel-pinions

6 hours ago, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

Morning all, 

Cheers, Paul

Do you have a pic of the drive shaft that you need and do you still need it? I was going thru all my parts piles and I noticed I had some drive shaft parts that belong to Original hot shot. 

1 hour ago, Exit13 said:

Do you have a pic of the drive shaft that you need and do you still need it? I was going thru all my parts piles and I noticed I had some drive shaft parts that belong to Original hot shot. 

Thankyou, pic hopefully attached. Excuse the grime. 76mm. 

Are there any workarounds if I can't find an original for this pair? I recall these things were rare...IMG_1387.thumb.JPG.c79e7cbe0cde1f2bb34060069b411320.JPG

1 hour ago, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

Thankyou, pic hopefully attached. Excuse the grime. 76mm. 

Are there any workarounds if I can't find an original for this pair? I recall these things were rare...IMG_1387.thumb.JPG.c79e7cbe0cde1f2bb34060069b411320.JPG

Hmm. I just what I have is not hot shot. I think the long one is thunder shot. I was trying to figure out the other three. 
Yl3FQZH.jpg

I also have some Drive shafts / prop shafts that I’m not sure where they came Off of. 

4 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

Hmm. I just what I have is not hot shot. I think the long one is thunder shot. I was trying to figure out the other three. 

I also have some Drive shafts / prop shafts that I’m not sure where they came Off of. 

Thanks for the help anyway. It sounds like this is a hard part to find :(