Sign in to follow this  
simalarion

Best Place for loose screws?

The Story:

So problem started building Top-Force when i rounded some screws with threadlock, one order and much hassel later i finaly replaced the screws with new fancy black ones. But now i was afraid off threadlock and used a tiny bit or none, because i did not see the point off using it. But after loosing screws outside first on Agrios and now on Top-Force i cind of see the point :). Also my main problem was not using propper screwdriver with japan standard (Phillips Star i believe), that problem is solved so i think i better be friend with rhe red stuff pretty soon if i dont like to spend to much money on overprized screws.

Question:

Anyone know a good place for loose screws?.Tried Ebay (Tony parts, Jazhobby) also did place order on Timetunnel but they sent me an e-mail now that they needed to order it from Asia ....

I need:

Tamiya 19805637 / 9805637 3x8mm Countersunk Head Screw

Tamiya 19805827 / 9805827 3mm Press Nut 

In manual ME1 and MF9

674DBD2F-B8F6-4A5F-B02D-F9048ACBF63D.png

90% of the hardware in Tamiya kits you can get for much cheaper by just buying generic hardware. Most metric m3x8mm countersunk screws should work just fine. And I'm pretty sure the "press nuts" are just M3 "self clinching nuts"

Some Tamiya stuff is bespoke but a lot of it can be substituted every day hardware and the savings can be enormous.

• Like 1

@nowinaminute Yes you are right, it looks like its a better idea to just learn about screws seizes in general and buy cheaper and better screws for your kits. Its not only price but its often just foggy picture of a RC Bag and a letter D (example) and no further info about whats actually inside it, as there are so many different bags and the manual do not state product number of the very bag its very hard to find what you need. If you search for the product number for the Nut you are after you can finf then but i must pay far far to much for 5 Nuts..... So yeah i will bite the sour apple and read myself up on screws (also).

Thanks

Often, i search "3x8mm" into the searching field at Tamiya Web Shop ( German website, start as the same as our favorite brand, and finish by ico.com, i don't know if i can give a webshop site directly here ) 

• Like 1

@Charles M Yes, was on my way to ordrer there, but then 19 GBP shipment to Norway for 5 nuts, ooops :).

If i needed more i could through it in but im good at the moment

Theres two main types of screw Tamiya use. Self Tapping and machine. The tapping ones have the course thread and the machine ones have the fine thread. Always metric sizes such as m3, m4 etc.

Then you have different head types like countersunk, button etc. You can usually work that out easily enough from the pictures or it will say in the manual.

It seemed daunting to me too at first but honeslty it's mostly really standardised and commonplace hardware and not exotic or obscure.

• Thanks 1

When i found the actuall name for the nuts i could buy 100 pcs cheaper than 5 pcs in a small Tamiya bag. Only problem now is to find out what Slab thickness is as i know i must have M3 size for M3*8mm countersunk screws, tried to Google it but Slab thickness is still a mistery to me(edit: though i believe its the inner ring of the nut and how high or thick that is):

CDE7C7FC-F3AF-47BA-B3FB-D5ECCADB7506.jpeg

Gah! Yes i remember your threadlock / undertray issue.

Pm me your address and I will post them tomorrow if you need them. Think you in Norway so hopefully be with you before the end of the week?

20210207_182216.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Superluminal Thank you but just before you replied i did a order on AliExpress on a lot off Screws and i believe i got it right. But again thank you very much for offering your help, i will come back to you if i didnt get it right :) . Part of my order:

08ED9D97-8B5F-46E3-8C91-DD44A79B6951.jpeg

7E52D8A1-3F9B-4A0B-8ED7-D8E03A8D5D8E.jpeg

51 minutes ago, simalarion said:

08ED9D97-8B5F-46E3-8C91-DD44A79B6951.jpeg

Did you get screws with Torx drive heads or something else?

In the States, McMaster-Carr is an excellent source for hardware in small bulk. About once a year, I'll place an order for 100 of these, 50 of those, 150 of them over there to keep my hardware boxes full. All top quality hardware, and they have some interesting specialty stuff, too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Jon said:

In the States, McMaster-Carr is an excellent source for hardware in small bulk. About once a year, I'll place an order for 100 of these, 50 of those, 150 of them over there to keep my hardware boxes full. All top quality hardware, and they have some interesting specialty stuff, too.

Yes, this is a new world to me, only by taking a few hours and learn diffrence sizes and other terms for screws you can instead of bying 4 small nuts plastic bags from "Tamiya Sellers" buy 50 - 100 pcs with better quality from hardware store for less. So i have done like you, only thing i am mising now is a plastic box to have them in.

• Like 1

You’d be surprised. My local Ace Hardware has a ton of stainless steel M3 metric bolts, hex and plus. Even Home Depot has a selection of metric stuff.

Terry

• Like 1

First Q - rounding screws with thread lock 

1. Use the correct size screwdriver and 2.  use different threadlock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DVHAAV8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_JMXFYBZ4AZ6BA31MSZ0N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

secondly, depending on the kit, a screw bag can seriously vary in terms of pence per screw 

I think I found that something like a Clodbuster screw bag was superb value (for Tamiya) and had a large variety 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383924173864

otherwise look at Ali express for screw packs

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vV1XDH

• Thanks 1

Avoid using thread lock on any bits that come into contact with plastic. The thread lock will make the plastic brittle. Use candle wax if you really need something, but nylon lock nuts are really the way to go.

I only ever use thread lock on pinion set-screws...

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Avoid using thread lock on any bits that come into contact with plastic. The thread lock will make the plastic brittle. Use candle wax if you really need something, but nylon lock nuts are really the way to go.

Terry

Yes - sorry i should have stated that thread lock isn’t for use on plastic or self tappers 

tbh I didn’t look at the screws they were after - just offered suggestions some options to get stuff ;)

I think the first thing the OP needs is a better screwdriver ;)

JJ

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

Does the same go for the threadlock that are included in every kit?.

@Problemchild i have better equipment now since the time i messed up on the Top-Force :)

2 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Does the same go for the threadlock that are included in every kit?.

@Problemchild i have better equipment now since the time i messed up on the Top-Force :)

I don’t use it - the loctite medium is cheap enough, lasts years and can be used on your 1:1 car too :)

JJ

4 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

Would this trick work if the machined threads made by screws are lightly stripped? If so does it hold well? I'm pondering buying a set of A and B trays just to fix the small issues I'm having with hop up shocks if I don't find a good solution.

4 hours ago, nel33 said:

Would this trick work if the machined threads made by screws are lightly stripped? If so does it hold well? I'm pondering buying a set of A and B trays just to fix the small issues I'm having with hop up shocks if I don't find a good solution.

If you’ve stripped the threads on either the screw or the part then no

You could try and re tap the hole 

are you talking about machine screws into metal or plastic or self tappers?

JJ