Old Falcon Lad ll

Hotshot drive shafts

Hi all, 

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.c1e809c6b312a61d90354f9c4bfc99e0.JPG

I've an old hotshot 1 that I bought intending to restore about 10 years ago. The main issue I saw was it was missing one of the front drive shafts (76mm). Is there anyway I can find a replacement / substitute in another part to fix? 10 years back I know these were hard to find but hoping things have moved on. Grimy pic attached. 

Thanks, P. 

Short answer, I don't think so. The re-release hotshot uses different size drive cups, so re-re drive shafts are not compatible unless to replace the drive cups and front axles as well.

46 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Short answer, I don't think so. The re-release hotshot uses different size drive cups, so re-re drive shafts are not compatible unless to replace the drive cups and front axles as well.

OK thanks MadInventor. So what would be the parts list I'd need if I had to use re re shafts if you don't mind me asking? Please direct me to other threads, others must have encountered the same issues I guess.  

22 hours ago, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

OK thanks MadInventor. So what would be the parts list I'd need if I had to use re re shafts if you don't mind me asking? Please direct me to other threads, others must have encountered the same issues I guess.  

Hotshot is a real problem as far as front drive shafts are concerned. The 'easy' option would be to fit a set of CVDs, but no one seems to be able to agree on what fits and what doesn't. Then there's the question of front hubs. If you upgrade to the newer re-re / hotshot 2 hubs, they apparently give a bit more clearance and you can get away with using top force drive shafts and drive cups, this is what I did with my super sabre. Id you stick with the original hubs then the only option I can see is new front drive shafts, a pair of new front axles, and a pair of new front drive cups (Although i don't know if re-re drive cups can be used effectively with original gearbox casings)

I don't want to commit to a parts list, as the gearbox sides are subtly different on the re-re hotshot to the original, so I don't even know if the re-re shafts and drive cups / axles can be used with an original gearbox. @Wandy has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things hotshot, hopefully he will chime in and offer you some advice on this. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

So what would be the parts list I'd need if I had to use re re shafts if you don't mind me asking? Please direct me to other threads, others must have encountered the same issues I guess.  

4 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I don't want to commit to a parts list, as the gearbox sides are subtly different on the re-re hotshot to the original, so I don't even know if the re-re shafts and drive cups / axles can be used with an original gearbox

It is my recollection that the re-release gearbox halves are ever so slightly different in the bearing area. The original Hotshot's drivecups/outputs used those miserable, tiny C-clips, while the re-releases uses larger E-clips. I'm pretty sure Tamiya altered the molding (bearing depth, IIRC) to allow room for the larger E-clips. 

10 hours ago, Cephas said:

Is this what you need

image.jpg

Hi, and thanks all for the replies. This looks similar and appears to be the right length but lacks the same radial markings on the shaft - does this matter? Any ideas what kit this item came with? Vagueley considering selling what I have and putting money into a re-re! 

Cheers, P. 

39 minutes ago, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

Hi, and thanks all for the replies. This looks similar and appears to be the right length but lacks the same radial markings on the shaft - does this matter? Any ideas what kit this item came with? Vagueley considering selling what I have and putting money into a re-re! 

Cheers, P. 

Quite unusual to see an original Hotshot driveshaft without the engraved lines at each end. I wonder if this is an aftermarket copy of some kind? Most original examples had two engraved lines at each end of the tube, but the very early examples had one engraved line at each end. I have never seen an example with no lines at all.

You could use vintage Supershot or Hotshot 2 front driveshafts if aesthetics isnt an issue to you?

Not sure if re-re driveshafts can be used in conjunction with vintage drivecups as it's not something I have ever tried.

It came with a boomerang I restored, seemed to have some hotshot parts mixed in that I didn’t use. Not 100% sure what it’s fro

10 minutes ago, Cephas said:

It came with a boomerang I restored, seemed to have some hotshot parts mixed in that I didn’t use. Not 100% sure what it’s fro

If its spare then I might be interested. Not sure how trades work here, perhaps PM me?

My vintage boomerang seems to have the same shafts as the hot shot. Out of all my cars from the 80’s I am having the hardest time recalling the boomerang. Seems to be mixed with hot shot parts too.  like the red axle housings 

Ll2kwyR.jpg

pm36Tj5.jpg

• Like 1