Carmine A

Have any of you tried THIS TBLE-02S Circuit Board Mod - to have a SAFE Lipo Cutoff??

On 2/12/2021 at 4:00 AM, lentner3 said:

From what I understand, Tamiya decided to design it based on li-fe batteries as they don’t have the inherent risk thats lipos do when abused or not treated carefully.
Li-Fe has a lower cut off. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Correct, the Tamiya ESC cutoff is intended for Li-Fe cells.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

Correct, the Tamiya ESC cutoff is intended for Li-Fe cells.

Li-Fe Batteries are a much safer alternative to Lipo....

Unfortunately nobody really wanted to buy them in any great number. We've learned that proper care keeps Lipos from EXPLODING! 

For Racing applications, nothing beats Lipos for Discharge Rates.

3 hours ago, lentner3 said:

The higher voltage is nice too

Yes!!! Many who haven't tried it yet, would be thrilled at how Tamiya Cars run on 3S!! Even 4S!!!  (But I'd never try that with a TBLE-02!) 😳🔥🔥🔥

On 2/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, burakol said:

I suggest that you run it in conjunction with using a LVC alarm to be on the safer side...

If anybody needs additional confidence: Yesterday I had a chance to test my modded ESC. I am using a 24 kOhm. At cutoff, the lipo alarm was showing 6.71 V. More than expected. I still have to investigate what exactly is going on here but generally the mod is working.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 2:17 AM, FuzzyFlynn said:

If anybody needs additional confidence: Yesterday I had a chance to test my modded ESC. I am using a 24 kOhm. At cutoff, the lipo alarm was showing 6.71 V. More than expected. I still have to investigate what exactly is going on here but generally the mod is working.

That's promising!!

Success I did my first one the other day with a 22k barrel resistor. 

• Like 1

Did a test with a 22kOhms resistor on one of the TBLE-02S sitting here. Got a low voltage cut-off at 7.5V which is definitely too high...

Decided to measure 3 or the others TBLE-02S before moving further : They all report 9.8 kOhms between the cleaned zone next to C9 and the ground zone... Will try with another resistor, as it seems that 22kOhm is too low for what I want (my LVC target is between 6.6 and 6.8V)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

Did a test with a 22kOhms resistor on one of the TBLE-02S sitting here. Got a low voltage cut-off at 7.5V which is definitely too high...

Decided to measure 3 or the others TBLE-02S before moving further : They all report 9.8 kOhms between the cleaned zone next to C9 and the ground zone... Will try with another resistor, as it seems that 22kOhm is too low for what I want (my LVC target is between 6.6 and 6.8V)

Hmm interesting - I took the wheels off the car and plugged in a LV alarm that displays total voltage and each cell and it did seem to cut off at the right voltage for me. - I need to convert my son's GF-01 as well.

• Like 1

As per my calcul, the resistor should be ok. I may have some additional unexpected false ground added as my work was not as precise than expected. As per the measurement I got on the 3 other TBLE-02S, 22kOhms should be the right resistor value for the target

• Like 1

Seems my first mod was not properly done. As the calcul was confirming the right resistance is 22kOhms for the cutoff at 6.7V, I did modify another one and with a success this time. Cutoff at 6.7V during the run.

Hint: if after the mod you measure the resistor, it should indicate about 6.8 kOhms and no longer 22kOhms (I checked after that on the first mod, and it was displaying 22kOhms, so either my ground is wrong, either I connected it on something else than what it should have been - Will open it again and will try to correct it).

• Like 1

I'm about to try one with a 23 KOhm Barrel Resistor, I'll let you know.... 

I'll be testing it with a Volt Meter and a Lipo Alarm hooked up.