Sign in to follow this  
mud4fun

I think I may have a fetish for Avante2001's

After managing to build yet another Avante2001 out of the spares box yesterday (how many does any one person need?) I was looking at what was left over and realised that it is about 50% of the parts needed to build yet another one..... :D

Using my original old and battered FRP plates that were thrown in a pile and forgotten about (I swapped to new carbon decks for all the others), it is feasible to build another complete Avante2001.

I have stacks of rear gearboxes because I've never broken one in 30 years but every time I smashed up a front gearbox (alot) I stupidly threw them away and forgot to keep the internal bearing carrier and spacer. As they are not on the front gearbox sprue I had to order loads of rear gearbox sprues to get the two missing items for the new front gearboxes. So over time I have ended up with a very large pile of rear gearboxes and other items off other sprues where I had to do similar. Anyway, today I actually found a brand new front gearbox that had fallen down the back of the pool table in the kitchen along with the spacer and bearing carrier! I remember I bought this from TonysTamiyaParts before xmas as a part of a set of spares after we bust two in a month which needed new replacements. Then promptly lost it and forgot about it! This means I have a brand new pair of gearboxes spare.

The problem here is that there is never quite enough parts left in the parts bins to build another buggy without buying yet more sprues and yet more parts and the whole thing starts all over again. I have always said to myself that they are useful to have as spares but in reality, all the bits that break regularly have no spares and I have dozens of spares for bits that never break.... sigh.

So I have decided to build an Avante2001 out of my old FRP plates and to fit the egress bumper, ball diffs and torque splitter to the brand new carbon decked car to convert that into an Egress. However it is still going to cost a couple hundred pounds to buy the missing parts....

Does anybody else go through this dilemma of thinking they can cobble together another car out of their spares pile only to find that the last 5% of the missing components are usually the most expensive and hardest to find? 

370397905_avante2001_3_new(3).thumb.jpg.37e29b80a2d8b42546adbcc9444853d1.jpg

• Like 5

I ended up with 3 falcons and 3 Clodbusters in this way :)

I kept buying broken sets to complete the last 10% and then have almost another complete one ;)

when you selling one? ;)

JJ

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mud4fun said:

370397905_avante2001_3_new(3).thumb.jpg.37e29b80a2d8b42546adbcc9444853d1.jpg

Yes, I just went thru this with my sonic. Forget the cost of  chassis, after all the trees I needed to buy just for the one missing part I needed I could buy an entire complete. So I fixed the problem, I bought another complete kit during the Super Bowl last night when I saw the Sunday football tamiya USA sale. Problem Solved. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not got to this stage (actually anywhere near) with RC cars but I can empathise as I do the same with bike parts...generally a new frame then then old one gets shoved in the corner unitil one day I think oh, only need another set of wheels and I've got another bike. Only issue is that it's never that 'spare set of wheels' it's all the other stuff you have to buy to get the thing working! 

This time I was quick and decisive and shoved my old parts on FB Marketplace before I had chance to procrastinate about another project :-P 

• Like 1