B.RAD

Whistle while you work...

...or more appropriately, listen while you work!

I've started my first build, thread here:

and while I'm tinkering, I've got my headphones on and am listening to a selection of music otherwise not appreciated in the house or an audiobook. Which got me thinking - what are your guilty pleasures from an entertainment perspective while you're indulging in your favourite hobbies?

Having blasted my ear drums with faves from my yoof, I'm currently listening to Richard Osman's "Thursday Murder Club" on audible, which is a gentle but engaging listen. I love a good murder mystery! Fantasy too for that matter. So, what are you into and would you have any good recommendations for audiobooks while I work?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, B.RAD said:

and while I'm tinkering, I've got my headphones on and am listening to a selection of music otherwise not appreciated in the house or an audiobook. Which got me thinking - what are your guilty pleasures from an entertainment perspective while you're indulging in your favourite hobbies?

Oddly enough, a few weeks ago I decided to start logging my playlists on my weekly workshop update thread, but it only lasted one week and I deleted the content later because I felt it was totally irrelevant to the thread (I struggle to stay on topic at the best of times) and possibly slightly vain.

But since this is the thread for it - I tend to listen to music when I'm in the workshop.  On Workshop Sundays it's just me, so I can listen to whatever I want.  I don't have a radio because having a commercially-driven music station choose what I listen to seems to go completely against the point of listening to music, and if there is a badword then there is a special place in it reserved for those DJs who talk over music.  I'm also one of those bizarre opinionated types who believes that any piece of music less than 1 hour in length is not really a piece of music but a snippet, and has little artistic value unless enjoyed as part of some greater whole.  While this belief is not absolute and doesn't apply to every piece of music ever written, it does explain why I tend to gravitate more towards instrumental music and don't have a lot of what one might call "songs" in my library.  It also explains why I very rarely listen to a compilation album (unless it is a DJ mix, which is a piece of music of its own form) and why I tend to listen to a complete album from beginning to end, because the 70-minute album its a musical form of its own.

Despite that, my collection is fairly eclectic - since the beginning of Jan, the following albums have been played on the ageing Wharfedales:

• The Retrosic - God of badword
  • Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicous, IM The Supervisor, Converting Vegetarians, The Gathering (can you tell I'm a fan?)
  • Shongle - Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland, Tales of the Inexpressible, Are You Shpongled?, Nothing Lasts... (yes, a Shpongle fan too)
  • FSOL - ISDN, Lifeforms, Dead Cities
  • Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
  • The Art of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy
  • Yage - The Woodlands of Old
  • Nas - God's Son
  • Lightning Seeds - The Best Of (a rare departure from my No Compilation Albums rule)
  • Apollo 440 - Gettin' High On Your Own Supply
  • The Orb - Orblivion
  • Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been Disc 2 (I don't consider this a compilation album as the tracks were re-recorded specially for this collection)
  • HOSH - Live in India for Cercle
  • Worakls - Live for Cercle
  • Jan Blomqvist - Live for Cercle
  • Tool - 10,000 Days
  • Plastikman - Artifakts (bc)
  • Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
  • Orbital - Middle of Nowhere, The Altogether
  • Solar Fields - Earthshine
  • The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
  • Leftfield - Leftism, Rhythm and Stealth
  • Royksopp - Melody AM
  • Massive Attack - Mezzanine
  • Richard Stonefield - Sand in the Wind

This isn't the extent of my musical interests - when I'm in the studio I tend to listen to ambient mixes on Youtube (Cryochamber, Radiostalker) and ambient artists like Loscil, Abul Moghard, Leandro Fresco, Solar Fields, and in the summer my workshop tastes will swing more towards Badly Drawn Boy, The Levellers, Pink Floyd, Jean Michel Jarre and even some German Futurepop.  For some reason I can't listen to this stuff in the winter as it makes me sick for sunshine and warmer weather.  Actually it's not possible to listen to Badly Drawn Boy without the sun on my shoulders.

• Like 2

I usually have the TV on in my hobby room and have a bit of giggle fest with 'would I lie to you' , 'QI'  , 'Find It Fix It Flog It' , or other progs. like 'Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides' , 'Abandoned Engineering' , things like that , just something in the background and is not a brain taxer

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I usually have the TV on in my hobby room and have a bit of giggle fest with 'would I lie to you' , 'QI'  , 'Find It Fix It Flog It' , or other progs. like 'Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides' , 'Abandoned Engineering' , things like that , just something in the background and is not a brain taxer

Same here, news, Motor Trend TV,  and YouTube.

• Like 2