Sign in to follow this  
simalarion

What about Tamiya 58519 Toyota Bruiser 4x4 Kit

I think i remember this Kit as a kit and it was way out off my price range, it is still a pricy Kit today.  When taking this hobby up again i wanted a Truck/Monster Truck andi did have my eye on The Bruiser but ended up with Agrios as it looked like much more fun and also had 2 motores, 1 motor i believe is not enough on The Bruiser with that weigth.

I do not see many tallking about The Bruiser on the forum, so how is this Kit running?, is it mainlyh for Display?, does anyone here have this Truck? ... 

For now i have ofc deciced not to buy this kit, but lookin at it sill has that "Real" Quality look and is still compelling:

image.png.a6af6145e52b499411b941e2f8666508.png

• Like 1

I have one that is fully built and have run driven it around the house to test out the gear changes. Its a brilliant build and quite a unique experience. While building the gearbox I couldnt get my head around what any of the pieces were supposed to do or what function they servo but once the servos were in and back stops set on the transmitter it worked perfectly. Some engineering voodoo for sure!

I dont think you are missing anything by only having one motor - the silver can 540 seems more than enough and in the highest gear its quite nippy. I also fitted the slipper clutch upgrade into my gearbox - not that it will ever be used to the extent it needs it but its a lovely machined brass and aluminium assembly in its own right.

20200116_232906.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice job you did there!, even a Action man :). WoW that Rc car looks good!. yes i have seen picture gear box, the diff is the same as on Agrios (only Agrios has plastic outside its all metall gear inside).

Just look at this Quality!:

image.png.c848d66636b6a14d5d2f1ce2b619d58e.png

I am probably destend to pick up this kit some day ... I knew posting questions about it here wouldnt help for not wanting it  :)

• Like 1

The Bruiser is based on an early 80s design, so yes, very very different to anything else you will see on the market today. And designed as a scale model for radio control rather than something that could really get stuck in to off-roading.

I'm sure they are a fascinating build but not something I would choose to run daily (from experience of my father's Hilux).

If your ethics don't get in the way, there is a cheap copy available from a well known Chinese junk shop.

I guess the attraction it the quality of parts last seen at the 80s kits such as Sand Sorcher chassis with lot of cast iron parts? Its not my pair of shoes but I definitly like the engineering.

1 minute ago, sosidge said:

The Bruiser is based on an early 80s design, so yes, very very different to anything else you will see on the market today. And designed as a scale model for radio control rather than something that could really get stuck in to off-roading.

I'm sure they are a fascinating build but not something I would choose to run daily (from experience of my father's Hilux).

If your ethics don't get in the way, there is a cheap copy available from a well known Chinese junk shop.

Haha, same idear in the same second.

All I know is TamiyaUSA had them on fire sale and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one.

• Sad 1

@sosidge then remember correctly regarding seing this in my childhood, but then ofc with different battery and other small differences i believe.

First off all im sure i like it because of the retro aspect off it, but i still today think this look stunning!.

what i for sure did not see as a kid but really want today either way is Egress, but my plan was to build a Rally car TT-02 w/Subaru Impreza body because i do not have a road kit (and not really a place to drive it either hehe).

But i must wait for Temps to dropp outside then il see what it will be

Talking about the «Sun» (a saying in Norway atleast), is this a rere?, very pricy ofc and a preorder:

668AE80E-B8A1-4FA2-AC16-2CA1DB87C3C4.jpeg

The Bruiser is really a museum piece. :D Seriously, it's a fun build and it looks like a real Hilux. I drive mine around the garden. Full speed in top gear with the included motor is probably about as fast as you want to go with it, especially after all the hard work most of us put into the paintwork.

• Haha 1

i if'd and ar'd for a while and then when i watched mateo's video of bruiser in the mountains i was sold...

so i went to my lhs and placed a order for one and did the build over 5 or 6 sundays and i think it is todate my fave build i did go for a few hop-ups ..wheels ...slipererclutch.. tlu-01 and 02 light units plus all the led's for all the lights witch came to a fair amount  anf the cr tuned motor and all that for it to be a shelf queen .

as its been said the gear box is a mind blower and the slipper is something else 

IMG_20160214_115827.jpg

IMG_20160214_131914.jpg

IMG_20160117_122112.jpg

IMG_20160324_194445.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, topforcein said:

as its been said the gear box is a mind blower and the slipper is something else

It really is, like a piece of engineering jewellery. Almost a shame the gear casing hides it away

• Like 1

Original Bruiser/Mountaineer the tranny is longer and all metal except the spur gear. It uses giant 750 sized motor 

Im getting more and more exited on Trucks and Monster Trucks which is a bit a suprise becouse as i Child i did choose a Blackfoot after weeks of thinking and watching the Tamiya cataloge but when i got it i did kind of envy one that hat The Grasshopper, even though it was cheaper it was somthing about the look of that Buggy.

Taking this hobby up again i den ofc started with TGH then Top-Force, the build was great but i found out that Buggys actually are a bit to low to ride them in terreng/woods (i live up in a mountain side in Oslo). So i ended up buying an Agrios as that kit both seemed Strong and powerful and it was but i found out it really needed Lipo battery to be :), i have such fund driving this both alone and with Kids/Wife that i am about to change the plan on TT-02 rallycar/Egress to WildWilly2 (for the kids) and Bruiser. When seen the Bruiser now as mentioned i am now sure i also saw this kit as a child and it is really growing on me!, only problem is that i will probably not let anyone else drive it as it seems to be hardcover and i am really going full inn and doing my best when it comes to building, will probably be afraid that kids would scracth it up or brake it for that matter :).

Edit: i have also startret looking at Semi Trucks/Scania Trailer :lol:, but that is probably a bad idea ...